Geelong Vs Stkilda, Telstra Dome, Wizz Cup GF

Remove this Banner Ad

i think its time to start this thread up:D

carn the cats

my prediction is geelong by 10pts

BTW its my 500th post :D yay

Re: Re: Geelong Vs Stkilda, Telstra Dome, Wizz Cup GF

Originally posted by benny's buddy
The first celebration of the week. Let's hope there's another on Saturday night.

LETS!!!!

I suppose I should get this party started...

SIDE

We all know Loats is out from the side that defeated Melbourne. I'd like to see Thurley, Hunt/Moloney and of course Rooke to play. Our squad should look something like this:

Geelong: Tom Harley, James Bartel, David Spriggs, Ben Graham, David Haynes, James Kelly, Kane Tenace, Joel Corey, Peter Riccardi, Kent Kingsley, Cameron Mooney, Henry Playfair, Matthew McCarthy, Brenton Sanderson, Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Paul Chambers, Jarad Rooke, James Rahilly, Paul Chapman, Darren Milburn, Josh Hunt, Corey Enright, Cameron Ling, Shannon Byrnes, Brent Moloney, Cameron Thurley, David Johnson/Charlie Gardiner

I doubt Charlie or D.J will make the final cut. Same can be said of Tweak and Hunt. One of Tweak and Hunt will make it in. I can't see both of them coming in, especially with Rooke also returning to the side. A possibility to the final 24:

In: Rooke, Thurley, Moloney (Sorry Josh)
Out: Loats, Spriggs, Rahilly/Byrnes (Hope it's Jimmy and not Shannon)

Side?

B: Sanderson - Scarlett - Harley
HB: Rooke - Mooney - Milburn
C: Kelly - Corey - Enright
HF: Kingsley - Graham - Haynes
F: Playfair - McCarthy - Riccardi

R: Chambers - Bartel - Ling

Inter: Ablett - Chapman - Byrnes - Thurley - Moloney - Tenace

MATCHUPS

-Midfield

Our ruck stocks are no doubt depleted with the loss of King and Loats. The Saint's backline is also depleted with Hudghton and Koschitzke out (although word has it Kossie is due for a return). Our midfields are fairly evenly matched, with the rucking the only problem. We have Ling, Corey, Bartel, Kelly, and rotations of Byrnes/Tenace, Ablett/Chapman, Enright/Rahilly, Riccardi/Moloney. Saints have Harvey, Hayes, Powell, Dal Santo, Ball, and rotations of Riewoldt (wing)/Guerra, Blake/Goddard, Jones/Black, Voss/Baker. We have Ling and Rahilly as our mainstay taggers to shut down their key midfielders (Hayes, Harvey, Powell, Ball, Dal Santo). Saints have Baker and occassionally Voss as their main taggers to stick with Corey, Bartel, Ablett, and Ling if need be. I'd stick Ling with either Harvey or Hayes, with Bartel to take Powell. Kelly to stick with Dal Santo and Rahilly to tag Ball. Knobel is their only real ruckman, and he I believe Unco and H can handle him. We always have the option of swapping Graham or Mooney into the ruck, yet I think you'll agree that their doing much better in their respective key-position roles at the moment. Switching them would disrupt their settling down.

-Forward

We should really look to stretch them here. We have the likes of Graham, Kingsley, Haynes, McCarthy and Chambers/Playfair (when resting) in our forward 50. Saints are without Hudghton and possibly Koschitzke. Assuming Kossie is still not 100 percent, they only have Penny, Maguire and Schwarze as their tall key defenders. Stone is pretty much just crap an therefore doens't count. Why the Saints would even select him to play in the GF I really don't understand. Guerra, Blake, Goddard aren't really that tall enough, or physically strong enough to take our forwards IMO (Goddard may be the only exception). Graham should look to tear them apart, as I really can't see any suitable matchup on their side, although they might risk Penny. Even so, Graham should outmuscle Penny. McCarthy should be picked up by Schwarze, and should shrug him off on the lead of out do him in one-on-ones. Kingsley and Haynes should both lead off different flanks and take the likes of Goddard, Blake or Guerra with them. Our resting ruckman should have too much height and in Playfair's case, too much marking ability. Our crumbers, Thurley, Chapman, Ablett, Byrnes, Riccardi and Kelly should really look to thrive. Thurley is another option behind Kingsley and Haynes. Ablett and Byrnes should be able to get past on speed and poise alone. Riccardi has experience on his side and could also play off a flank ala Thurley.

-Defence

St.Kilda have a tall and good marking-type forward line. Gehrig, Riewoldt, and Hamill all present good strong marking forwards. having Mooney in our defense looks to pay off in these types of situations. Scarlett should take their best forward, being Gehrig. Mooney should be able to take Hamill with his body whilst Harley/Milburn should each be able to take Riewoldt. I'd try Dasher on him first, as he did a great job last year on Riewoldt and has shown he can take big forwards taller than him (Jono Brown). Harley as a floating defender looks the goods as he will be able to support Scarlo, Dasher, or Moons with his timely fist. The X-man and Milne should be taken by Sando and Rooke. Both have shown they have what it takes to take down small forward types. Monica would come in handy here, but I'd like to see him recover fully and regain match-practice in preperation for Rnd.1.

All in all, we match up relatively well with the Saints. If all goes to plan, Geelong by 18.

Match ups:

Defence

Scarlett on Gehrig.

Rooke on Milne.

Milburn on Reiwoldt.

Hamill is the big problem. I don't think Harley is the right match up and putting Mooney on him is going to be either a masterstroke or a massacre. I'd be tempted to shift Benny down back and move Mooney to the forward line but we probably can't afford to do that.

Midfield

Let Ling and Hayes go head to head.

Be wary of Harvey but I don't think a tagger (Rahilly) is going to do much good.

The player for mine to be extra cautious of is Powell. With Harvey/Hayes and the quality youngsters Ball/Goddard/Dal Santo this guy slips under the radar and is quite capable of 20-25 touches and 3-4 goals.

Attack

Forward match ups are St Kildas problem really but I want Thurley back in the side this week. The saints wouldn't have seen a lot of him and given sufficient game time could be the one ace up our sleeve.

Training schedule at Skilled Stadium

Wednesday 10 March at 2:30pm
Friday 12 March at 10:30am

GO SAINTS!!!! :D
Howdy guys. This will be a great game. Of course I'd love the saints to win, but I won't be disappointed at all if the cats get up. Its great to see our two clubs up there. That little guy...whats his name...Ablett, he'll be a gun! ;) May the best team win and see you again in round one. :cool:

Squads for the night

For the cats, Bomber's lovechild d.johnson and callan come in for Loats and Byrnes.

Koschitzke comes in for the saints

St Kilda: Justin Peckett, Aaron Hamill, Xavier Clarke, Andrew Thompson, Austinn Jones, Heath Black, Lenny Hayes, Fraser Gehrig, Steven Baker, Nick Riewoldt, Brett Voss, Luke Ball, Stephen Powell, Brendon Goddard, Luke Penny, Allan Murray, Matthew Ferguson, Justin Koschitzke, Nick Dal Santo, Jason Blake, Leigh Montagna, Matt Maguire, Trent Knobel, Brent Guerra, Robert Harvey, Troy Schwarze, Brett Moyle, Stephen Milne,

Geelong: Tom Harley, James Bartel, David Spriggs, Ben Graham, David Haynes, James Kelly, Kane Tenace, Joel Corey, Peter Riccardi, Charlie Gardiner, Tim Callan, Kent Kingsley, Cameron Mooney, Henry Playfair, Matthew McCarthy, Brenton Sanderson, David Johnson, Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett, Paul Chambers, Brent Moloney, Jarad Rooke, James Rahilly, Paul Chapman, Darren Milburn, Josh Hunt, Corey Enright, Cameron Ling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by GeeCat
I doubt either will squeeze into the team anyhow. No Thurley :eek: Give the bloke a chance GFC.

i agree

What a truly pathetic last quarter. The game was there to be won and they threw it away.

I know it's pre-season but I'm still very disappointed. Although I think I'm mostly disappointed that we didn't win the 200K.

Can I say, can I? I will...

Who cares, it's only the pre-season. :p

I was really disappointed with our last quarter. We played so well for 3 quarters and stuffed it up in that one quarter. Disappointed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back