Geelong vs Sydney - SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

SeinDude

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2002
Retired
After 2 good wins, Geelong travels to Sydney for it's round 12 clash against the Sydney Swans with some confidence. We have a good record at the SCG, winning our last couple there, but the Swans will be desperate after losing 5 in a row, so it should be a good match.

Peter Street & Steven King should stretch Sydney for height around the ground on Saturday night, and hopefully they will be able to give our young midfield first use of the ball. Kent Kingsley has been a revelation on our forward line this season, and lets hope he continues on his excellent form and kicks another bag of goals!! Matthew Scarlett, Ton Harley & Ben Graham should be able to hold their own in defence, and as long as we can concentrate for the whole match without going to sleep for a quarter or so, I am confident that the mighty cats will make it 6-6 going into the week's break!! :):)

My prediction: Geelong by 16 points

Go Cats!! :cool:
SeinDude

Spot on SeinDude.
Could be a few changes though, considering the reserves really turned it on against the blues winning by 19 goals. Ablett and S Johnson in particular would be up for contention.

on one of the radio interviews on the weekend, i got the impression that Ablett would be getting another week in the 2's

Round 12 team - no change

GEELONG FOOTBALL CLUB

Backs: Grgic, Scarlett, Sholl
Half Backs: Wojcinski, Harley, Milburn
Centre: Clarke, Riccardi, Burns
Half Forwards: Chapman, Graham, Lord
Forwards: Ling, Kingsley, Street
Followers: King, Kilpatrick, Corey
Interchange: Kelly, Rooke, Enright, Gardiner
Emergency: Johnson, Rahilly, Mooney

Cheers!! :cool:
SeinDude

Great sum up of the game Seindude! I agree this will be a close game and would love too see Geelong get up. I did not realise how good the cats are going this year, but coming away from this game with 6 wins and 6 loses is fantastic for the cats!
I must admit though I think Sydney will be very fired up in front of their home crowd. I think Schwass being his last game will motivate all the sydney players too have a big one. I wait in anticipation!

Cheers!;)
Adam

I would have thought that Street has to ruck for 70% of the game, Leaving KK up the ground a little an Kingy in the square.

Hopefully, Chappy and Charlie will sneak under the swans nose and snag 4-6 goals Between them, If the Swans clear it fron the Centre constantly, the game could be over by 1/2 time.

I'd hate to put in a bad game this week, or you may find yourself with a half in the VFL next week. - that shold apply to everybody - Ronnie.

Originally posted by nolsey77
I'd hate to put in a bad game this week, or you may find yourself with a half in the VFL next week. - that shold apply to everybody - Ronnie.

nolsey77,

Lets hope Ronnie can run into some good form this week against Sydney. He's been struggling this season and is getting tagged out of the games quite a lot, however, as long as he continues to do the team things, eventually things will start turning his way. :)

SeinDude

They're at it again... another dramatic win looks to be in the offing...

Four goals in a five-minute fourth-term stretch... another cardiac finish... Cats down 88-92 at this point...

Cheers,
William

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WHAT A FANTASTIC WIN!!

Tonight's win has to go down as one of the most gutsy, courageous wins by Geelong for a very long time!! Sydney were 28 points up 5 minutes into the last quarter after kicking 3 goals in a row, they had all the momentum, but the cats came back, goals to Kingsley, Burns, Mooney and a great goal from Steven King where he grabbed the ball out of the ruck and on the wrong side for a banana kick drilled it home and Geelong ended up winning by 2 points!!

Peter Riccardi again played well, kicking 4 goals and setting up another couple. Kingsley also kicked 4 goals and other good players for us were Scarlett, Chapman, Enright, Corey, King, Milburn, Kelly and Wojcinski.

Geelong now head into the week's break with a 6-6 record... a good result for the young cats who have something to build on for the rest of the season.

FINAL SCORE:
Sydney ... 15.9.99
Geelong ... 15.11.101

SeinDude

Great win by the Cats! Well done...
The geelong players should pick up a lot of confidence from this win.

As for Sydney, my hat is taken off.... I feel for Rodney Eade and the players, they really did try hard, but the luck this year is just not going their way.

Cheers!;)
Adam

Originally posted by JUBJUB
Great come from behind win. :)

It sure was JubJub!! I was jumping for joy... I think I woke up the dead when Steven King grabbed that ball and kicked the banana goal to get us to within 4 points in the last quarter. :D:D:D

SeinDude

hehe, yeah, i fell asleep in the third quarter while i was watching. But in the last, i was wide awake...it was magnificent!

Dogboy
I thought Kelly was in our best 3 players.He reminds me of Mark Bairstow with his bursts out of the centre.
Here's an article in todays ADDY about Kelly.

From Geelong Advertiser Monday 17th June

Young cat Kelly shines in tough win - Dylan Howard

Apart from his boyish looks, young Cats midfielder James Kelly gave little indication it was only his fifth AFL game on Saturday night.

Starting the game on the bench, the 18-year-old Geelong draftee soon found himself in the nerve centre - the midfield - the place where Sydney or Geelong were to set up victory.

His 13 kicks, nine handballs and four marks made him a handy contributor on the stats sheet. Even more valuable though was his determination at the bottom of the packs.

Selected at No.17 in the national draft, Kelly has now played key on-ball roles in Geelong's past two games - both heartstoppers.

"It's not doing my heart too good," Kelly said.

"I sat down with Alan McConnell (midfield coach) at the start of the season to set goals and I said I would be happy to play three games.

"I've done that so now I have to sit down and reasses where I'm at.

"I want to keep consistency in my game.

"Some young players have problems with up and down games and not running out matches to the final siren."

Kelly found himself on Stuart Maxfield early before spending time on Nic Fosdike and Daryn Cresswell.

"I just wanted to go out and play my normal game and start fresh," he said.

"I have been pretty lucky as Bomber has been putting me into the midfield...I've got a long way to go with my game. I still get exposed a bit and there a few areas I really need to clamp down on."

Originally posted by dogboy23
Thoughts on James Kellys game?I thought he was brilliant and in your best 5 players.

I thought James Kelly was instrumental in Geelong's midfield to match it with Sydney in the clearances and around the packs when he came on. His desperation towards the end of the game with that smother when Sydney were about to go forward and also his tackling in and under the packs is very good. I cant remember him wasting many possessions as well and lets hope he can continue to develop and become a great player for Geelong over many years. :):)

SeinDude

Remove this Banner Ad

Back