Preview Geelong vs WCE - Sat April 24, GMHBA Stadium @1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bering in a Danger Free zone for the next 2 months may indirectly help us this season.
We got through 09 with that amount of time without SJ,(7 weeks) who was as key for us as Danger is, if not more.
0f course we do not have the class and depth of that 09 team, but it forces others to be played and to prove their worth.

Last edited:

Kennedy OUT

Tweet from 6PR Journo Paddy Sweeny

View attachment 1108761

That's a huge out for the Eagles - he didn't hit the scoreboard last week but he took the best defender and left Allen and Darling to feast off the remainder.
He's a smart player too - often he'd vacate the area to avoid overcrowding.

Hawkins contributes to the forward problem by not presenting enough. He needs to demand the ball by leading up the corridor more; he is leading in to the pockets too often. As others have noted in this forum, Hawkins is not a great pack mark; it's counter-intuitive I know.

Mention of Stevie J makes me weep: he could get a kick more or less when he felt like it and he was imaginative and creative; he would kick inward to the corridor to find someone. Nowadays we just dribble it around the flanks; you don't get too many goals from boundary throw-ins at half-forward or in the pocket.

Hawkins contributes to the forward problem by not presenting enough. He needs to demand the ball by leading up the corridor more; he is leading in to the pockets too often. As others have noted in this forum, Hawkins is not a great pack mark; it's counter-intuitive I know.

Mention of Stevie J makes me weep: he could get a kick more or less when he felt like it and he was imaginative and creative; he would kick inward to the corridor to find someone. Nowadays we just dribble it around the flanks; you don't get too many goals from boundary throw-ins at half-forward or in the pocket.
Hard to lead with a defender in front and behind on every entry

Mention of Stevie J makes me weep: he could get a kick more or less when he felt like it and he was imaginative and creative; he would kick inward to the corridor to find someone.
Off topic, I know, but reading this reminds me why Stevie J ought to be our next coach.

If we have the last two Coleman medalists up front shouldn’t we get it down to them with some zest? Time to speed it up. The ugly watch thing needs a revamp. Get some courage Scott!

I felt we were definitely moving the ball last week. Hence the crappy disposal and shots. It’s gonna take some time to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt we were definitely moving the ball last week. Hence the crappy disposal and shots. It’s gonna take some time to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I entirely agree that there was a concerted effort at times to be much more proactive in moving the football forward with some intent. There was also an appalling lack of precision and poise in bringing the ball inside 50 on quite a number of occasions. So the results of our more dynamic mindset weren't really seen on the scoreboard at all.

Hopefully we see more of that proactive dynamic with less of the pathetic disposal on the weekend.

Last edited:

It might be that oppo defenders are forcing him out wide by clogging the corridor, so it's up to the other forwards to provide options that take them out of the centre

As good as Hawkins has been - he can be frustrating - continually playing from behind - a tad lazy perhaps at times - even in the 1st qtr and a half - he kept playing from behind Steven May and was outmarked

Where as Cameron apart from being vey talented - he is an energetic player - who makes multiple leads continuously all throughout the game - that will be just so pleasing to see in a Geel forward line

Jordan Lewis nailed it. Backline decent, mids decent , yet going into F50 butcher the ball, predictable and too Tommy focused. According to Lewis we need to look at angles and different options and lower the eyes. Jez will give us a different look, so let’s see!
You could see it against North. Two issues

1. The ball came out way too easily. If it wasn't marked, we didn't have the numbers at the drop to crumb it.
2. We scored too inaccurately. Our predicted score was like 95, yet we only managed 77 points. Gotta convert better against WCE.

That would be a particularly hard ask on debut ... how many did Mark Jackson kick in his first game... that will do.
Not sure about his AFL debut but he kicked 9 on his Geelong debut. I was there as a wide eyed 11 year old and thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen.
I was also confused about some other strange bloke that was running around on debut for us wearing Gary Malarkeys number.

Not sure about his AFL debut but he kicked 9 on his Geelong debut. I was there as a wide eyed 11 year old and thought it was the greatest thing I had ever seen.
I was also confused about some other strange bloke that was running around on debut for us wearing Gary Malarkeys number.

yes V Fitz .. Jackson, Ablett and Williams all the same match... so no pressure.. Jackson got nine which these days is probably equal to around 4 or 5

A grumpy Scott... probably a good indicator of an aggressive effort. He is probably at his best when he adamant, opinionated and putting the insignificant others down.

Good chance after denouncing all for criticising our slow ball movement ..we will come out and be agressive and move the ball with intent.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...l/news-story/9e509b5fb274829da0b069149afe43cf

A bristly Scott said Geelong’s problems in the opening five rounds were mostly because of execution and not system when asked if Cameron’s inclusion alongside Tom Hawkins would allow for more dare in their ball movement.

Scott was defensive when quizzed on their ball movement in his weekly press conference on Thursday.

“Anyone that’s spent enough time watching us play over the last few years should have an understanding of how we move the ball when we’re at our best,” he said.

“I don’t think anyone would describe it as super-fast football and the clear measure there is mark-play on percentage. We’ve consistently been down the bottom of that.

“Does that mean playing slow is our preference? Of course it doesn’t. All the parts of our game style need to work together.

“If we couldn’t score over a period of time playing the way that we were playing, we would change it but we’ve been top four in attack for, whatever it is, three, four, five years.

A grumpy Scott... probably a good indicator of an aggressive effort. He is probably at his best when he adamant, opinionated and putting the insignificant others down.

Good chance after denouncing all for criticising our slow ball movement ..we will come out and be agressive and move the ball with intent.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...l/news-story/9e509b5fb274829da0b069149afe43cf

A bristly Scott said Geelong’s problems in the opening five rounds were mostly because of execution and not system when asked if Cameron’s inclusion alongside Tom Hawkins would allow for more dare in their ball movement.

Scott was defensive when quizzed on their ball movement in his weekly press conference on Thursday.

“Anyone that’s spent enough time watching us play over the last few years should have an understanding of how we move the ball when we’re at our best,” he said.

“I don’t think anyone would describe it as super-fast football and the clear measure there is mark-play on percentage. We’ve consistently been down the bottom of that.

“Does that mean playing slow is our preference? Of course it doesn’t. All the parts of our game style need to work together.

“If we couldn’t score over a period of time playing the way that we were playing, we would change it but we’ve been top four in attack for, whatever it is, three, four, five years.
I don't like the TV influencers trying to suggest that our game plan is sub par either. Good on him. There are very obvious reasons we don't play free flowing football all the time and I get sick of this ADHD generation demanding an aesthetically pleasing style. I'd rather control a game than make a few part time viewers happy with Harlem Globetrotters low percentage football.

As good as Hawkins has been - he can be frustrating - continually playing from behind - a tad lazy perhaps at times - even in the 1st qtr and a half - he kept playing from behind Steven May and was outmarked

Where as Cameron apart from being vey talented - he is an energetic player - who makes multiple leads continuously all throughout the game - that will be just so pleasing to see in a Geel forward line

The end may be coming for the big Tomahawk. Looks slower than ever this season.
Literally cannot get any lift whatsoever. Meanwhile, Tex Walker who looked like current day Hawkins, has wound back the clock and is taking screamers while booting 4 goals every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back