Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're turning into the AFL's Dad's Army...

Chris 'Salty' Scott will start dropping " we're doomed, DOOMED!" and "they don't like it up 'em" into his team talks
The list of blokes nearing or on the other side of 30 is alarming. 99% are best 22.

Ablett - 36
Blicavs - 29
Dangerfield - 30
Duncan - 29
Hawkins 32
Henderson - 30
Rohan - 29
Selwood - 32
Taylor - 34
Tuohy - 30

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look No further than Scott Selwood quietly being delisted in the same week Josh Caddy wins a premiership as a reinvented wingman.

Don't let your captain make list decisions for you.

Every team has mediocre players on their list for a period of time mate whether they’re related to the captain or not. Selwood served a purpose for a while when he was fit.

Hang on, Geelong were great most of the year and monstered many teams.
If l had to say why they didn’t go all the way then it started when Dangerfield got cocky (probably a bit of sledging going on) after the 50mtr free.
Dusty fired up and Richmond fired up. Geelong couldn’t run with us after the half time break, they looked flat, disjointed and lacked timing.
These are the questions.....
Did they have belief that they could win it?
Did pressure get to them when the heat was on?
Or was it just a game of footy and the best team won?

If l had to say why they didn’t go all the way then it started when Dangerfield got cocky (probably a bit of sledging going on) after the 50mtr free.
Dusty fired up and Richmond fired up. Geelong couldn’t run with us after the half time break, they looked flat, disjointed and lacked timing.

Really? THATS why we didn’t win the flag? Because like a million other players one of ours gave a sledge just before half time?

Come on mate, come back to reality.
Richmond made some adjustments, played a fantastic third quarter and we couldn’t go with you. In the last term we counter-adjusted, got some equality back in the contest but continually broke down going inside 50 whereas Richmond didn’t and continued to hit their targets going forward.

Why do people try and make more of something than what reality dictates?

Really? THATS why we didn’t win the flag? Because like a million other players one of ours gave a sledge just before half time?

Come on mate, come back to reality.
Richmond made some adjustments, played a fantastic third quarter and we couldn’t go with you. In the last term we counter-adjusted, got some equality back in the contest but continually broke down going inside 50 whereas Richmond didn’t and continued to hit their targets going forward.

Why do people try and make more of something than what reality dictates?
I’m not being smart, it’s just events in games fire players and teams up,
I’m not saying it’s the ONLY reason, I’m saying that’s when the turn around started.

Peace.

Was a weird passage of play, esp Danger taking 25 sec to kick a goal from the goal square. Guess he was rubbing it in to the Tigers faces, poked the bear perhaps, dunno. No evidence that there is much good feeling between the clubs at the best of times.

I think they are not fast enough forward of the ball. Hawkins needs a partner in crime. Selwood needs to stay at the coal face (some players cannot be re-invented, but that is ok) Need to find at least one ruckman that the coach can count on for more than a week. Need to find some go fwd HBF's, dare from the HBL.

It's wrong to state that Geelong weren't good enough given they had Richmond on the ropes at half time in the PF. They should have beaten Collingwood and could have beaten Richmond, then likely would have taken care of GWS in the grand final.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

In saying that, Gaz and Selwood aren't getting any younger, and with Kelly gone I think there's little hope of them finishing top 4 next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the 8.

They're turning into the AFL's Dad's Army...

Chris 'Salty' Scott will start dropping " we're doomed, DOOMED!" and "they don't like it up 'em" into his team talks

35: GAJ
33: Taylor
31: Selwood, Hawkins
29: Dangerfield, Selwood, Smith, Henderson, Tuohy,
28: Blicavs, Rohan, Duncan, Abbott,

Cats have heaps of talent but much of it around the 30/30+ mark next season. I wonder if they will continue to blitz the home and away season or if they will eventually fall into a dark ages?

It's wrong to state that Geelong weren't good enough given they had Richmond on the ropes at half time in the PF. They should have beaten Collingwood and could have beaten Richmond, then likely would have taken care of GWS in the grand final.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

In saying that, Gaz and Selwood aren't getting any younger, and with Kelly gone I think there's little hope of them finishing top 4 next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the 8.

The game goes for four quarters and the tigers are a young fit hungry side...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35: GAJ
33: Taylor
31: Selwood, Hawkins
29: Dangerfield, Selwood, Smith, Henderson, Tuohy,
28: Blicavs, Rohan, Duncan, Abbott,

Cats have heaps of talent but much of it around the 30/30+ mark next season. I wonder if they will continue to blitz the home and away season or if they will eventually fall into a dark ages?

The game goes for four quarters and the tigers are a young fit hunger side...
I reckon/hope we manage GAJ (who was almost AA) through the year by resting him for interstate games for example.

We have coverage for Taylor in the form of Henderson and Blicavs so he isnt exactly critical.

Worried about Selwood but he came in clutch in the finals and he was carrying an injury throughout so wouldn't be surprised if he came back strong next year. And Hawkins doesn't exactly rely on athleticism in the same way buddy does- just park him in the goal square if required!

28 isnt really that old and dont think that group is any real danger of falling into a heap for next year at least.

Every team has mediocre players on their list for a period of time mate whether they’re related to the captain or not. Selwood served a purpose for a while when he was fit.
No he didn't.
It was a ludicrous recruitment.
He was in rehab when Geelong came a knocking.

When he was fit, short period of time mind you, he was bloody terrible. Arguably the worst user of the football Geelong has had since David Clarke Jnr.
Supposedly a terrific tagger but he was shown up in most of them. He had to play though, Geelong didn't want to look like fools if he sat out and played VFL as he should have from the beginning.

Once more, you delusion over everything Geelong Cats is coming to the forefront.

You should tell me how good of a draft coup it was to snag Hamish McIntosh.

No he didn't.

When he was fit, short period of time mind you, he was bloody terrible. Arguably the worst user of the football Geelong has had since David Clarke Jnr.
Supposedly a terrific tagger but he was shown up in most of them. He had to play though, Geelong didn't want to look like fools if he sat out and played VFL as he should have from the beginning.

Once more, you delusion over everything Geelong Cats is coming to the forefront.

I see you and raise Patrick 'the shank' Dangerfield.

No he didn't.

Yes yes I’m delusional because one of our most reliable players is somehow being blamed for our finals shortcomings and another recruit was allegedly hired purely on the whim of the captain

I believe they lose out because of their mentality. Just didn't show that winning edge when it mattered. Whether it be their players or coaches they liked to play the victim card and couldn't handle the adversity.

Yes yes I’m delusional because one of our most reliable players is somehow being blamed for our finals shortcomings and another recruit was allegedly hired purely on the whim of the captain
Can’t blame danger or any one player, it’s a team effort. In a game of inches your team did not respond when you needed to. We both have teams filled with superstars, ours lifted when it counted and our system prevailed and what ever other reason you can think of.

Can’t blame danger or any one player, it’s a team effort. In a game of inches your team did not respond when you needed to. We both have teams filled with superstars, ours lifted when it counted and our system prevailed and what ever other reason you can think of.

I was replying to the bloke blaming our woes on the likes of Duncan who was injured a quarter into our finals campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back