Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong cannot and will not take the next step whilst they recruit like for like 27-30 old players.You need to recruit players who will make a difference. Play some youth and let them go for it.Chris Scott may think he is a genius but he aint. he is too reactionary instead of being pro-active. Actually he has no awareness at all when it comes to predicting the next move the opposition will make and absolutely no idea how to restrict the opposition if they are on a roll. refuses to take blame, total spud

Last edited:
Geelong cannot and will not take the next step whilst they recruit like for like 27-30 old players.You need to recruit players who will make a difference. Play some youth and let them go for it.Chris Scott may think he is a genius but he aint. he is too reactionary instead of being pro-active. Actually he has no awareness at all when it comes to predicting the next move the opposition will make and absolutely no idea how to restrict the opposition if they are on a roll. refuses to take blame, total spud
The total spud did win 18 games in 2019 including 9 away.

Last edited:
Understand that,but maybe could have been more wins in my opinion. I have gone into bat for Chris Scott plenty of times re: media crap about home finals and his demeanour in the coaching box which is just a media wankfest. I just think we would do better with a different coach.
The Collingwood loss is the one that we should have won. Wa it Scott’s fault? Definitely in part. If only we were told the real reason we went into the game without a genuine ruck

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
The Collingwood loss is the one that we should have won. Wa it Scott’s fault? Definitely in part. If only we were told the real reason we went into the game without a genuine ruck
the fish rots at the head, Blicavs arguably best defender did not play in defence in September.Blicavs should have been on Lynch in prelim when things were going to shyte., surely? It is frustrating when this happens.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Yes from 3rd in 2010 we’ve free fallen all the way to.... 3rd in 2019
Yep. Chris Scott’s done a good job propping up the side with older players to avoid the eventual fall.

2020- Steven, Jenkins
2019- Dahlhouse, Rohan
2018- Ablett
2017- Touhy
2016- Henderson, Scott Selwood.

Hopefully they can use the draft picks they got for Kelly to pick some decent juniors. If there’s one thing that Chris Scott has struggled with, its the development of recruiting kids from the draft.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep. Chris Scott’s done a good job propping up the side with older players to avoid the eventual fall.

2020- Steven, Jenkins
2019- Dahlhouse, Rohan
2018- Ablett
2017- Touhy
2016- Henderson, Scott Selwood.

Hopefully they can use the draft picks they got for Kelly to pick some decent juniors. If there’s one thing that Chris Scott has struggled with, its the development of recruiting kids from the draft.

It's even worse than that.....a couple of others made those lists:

2020 - Steven, Jenkins
2019 - Dahlhaus, Rohan
2018 - Gary Ablett, Stewart Crameri
2017 - Zac Tuohy, Aaron Black
2016 - Dangerfield, Henderson, Zac Smith, Scott Selwood
2015 - Rhys Stanley

From those years, 5 of those 13 have already been chopped. Powerful long term vision at work here.

If there’s one thing that Chris Scott has struggled with, its the development of recruiting kids from the draft.
One of those urban myths perpetuated on BF. Considering our last single digit draft pick was Joel Selwood in the 2006 Draft, we have made the most. 3 Rising Star nominations in 2019 - Miers, Clark & Constable. Others coming through who are progressing well - Ratugolea, Parfitt, Narkle, Henry, Fogarty, O’Connor, and mature (as in early 20’s) aged recruits, Atkins and Stewart

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
One of those urban myths perpetuated on BF. Considering our last single digit draft pick was Joel Selwood in the 2006 Draft, we have made the most. 3 Rising Star nominations in 2019 - Miers, Clark & Constable. Others coming through who are progressing well - Ratugolea, Parfitt, Narkle, Henry, Fogarty, O’Connor, and mature (as in early 20’s) aged recruits, Atkins and Stewart

From the national draft in Scott’s time...

Chris Scott misses: Hamling, Kersten, Murdoch, McCarthy, J Thurlow, Hartman, Stringer, Lang, Janson, Walker, Burbury, Cockatoo, Gregson, Gote, Cunico, Gardner, Buzza, Hayball,

Chris Scott Hits: Bews, Kolo, Parfitt, Miers.

Chris Scott 50/50 jury still out: Rata, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, 2018 draft class (too early to tell).

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

The downhill skiers of the AFL

Watch most games they play and you'll find that they run hard offensively, but run nowhere near as hard the other way. Menzel (when he was playing for them) was like the poster child for a club wide problem.

In the final against Richmond this was glaringly obvious, and the reason that Dusty Martin was able to find a mind boggling amount of space at half forward, because nobody wanted to run back hard enough to cover him

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Hes right though nearly every richmomd supporter all of a sudden think they know everything not even Hawthorn supporters were this bad after the three peat
Coming from the most arrogant supporters in the AFL! The only reason most of the CarLOL supporters mouths are shut is because you have been irrelevant for the last 20 years a bit like us prior to 2013. Please don't be a hypocrite.
You guys have had more number 1's than MJ and the Beatles together the last 20 years and still putrid.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

What alot of Geelong supporters cant understand or grasp - is at it turned out -it was a massive advantage to lose that final to Collingwood ( so i couldnt care about Stanley being left out - or if Blicavs was played in a forward pocket or wherever

By losing that final to Coll - Geel in the words of the captain Joel Selwood got a very rusty Richmond ( because of the weeks break - and that happens often - and even more so with the end of season bye ) in the 1st half of the prelim - Geel could have been a mile in front at half time and could have pinched that game - and its fair to say if they had of - they would be premiers . Again in Selwoods words - he said they were a mile too good in the 2nd half and nothing was going to stop them

However if Geel had beaten Coll in that 1st final - they would have played Rich in the GF - and Rich wouldnt have been rusty at all - and the Tigers would have smashed the Cats in the GF

How the cards fell this year - Geelong had a sneaky chance of pinching a flag - but they blew that chance with alot of misses in the 2nd qtr of the Prelim

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
From the national draft in Scott’s time...

Chris Scott misses: Hamling, Kersten, Murdoch, McCarthy, J Thurlow, Hartman, Stringer, Lang, Janson, Walker, Burbury, Cockatoo, Gregson, Gote, Cunico, Gardner, Buzza, Hayball,

Chris Scott Hits: Bews, Kolo, Parfitt, Miers.

Chris Scott 50/50 jury still out: Rata, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, 2018 draft class (too early to tell).

and how many coaches with the picks that we’ve had would have done better

it’s all very well to say He failed with so and so but when your picks are always late, the odds of hits lengthen

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
and how many coaches with the picks that we’ve had would have done better

it’s all very well to say He failed with so and so but when your picks are always late, the odds of hits lengthen
You’re making excuses now.
Chris Scott has struggled developing juniors. More misses than hits.

No wonder he continues to bring in mature players.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You’re making excuses now.
Chris Scott has struggled developing juniors. More misses than hits.

No wonder he continues to bring in mature players.

excuses?
I don’t have the time to bother checking this but I would be almost certain that statistically we’ve had easily the worst hand at the draft over that period so it’s not an excuse, it’s fact.

answer the question.

with the picks we’ve had, who would have done better

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
excuses?
I don’t have the time to bother checking this but I would be almost certain that statistically we’ve had easily the worst hand at the draft over that period so it’s not an excuse, it’s fact.

answer the question.

What a stupid question.
It can’t be answered unless you put every coach in that postion.
What you can say is that with the juniors that have been picked up by Geelong during Scott’s time, the club’s overall record has been abysmal. Scott clearly hasn’t developed juniors like his peers have.

What a stupid question.
What you can say is that with the juniors that have been picked up by Geelong during Scott’s time, the club’s overall record has been abysmal. Scott clearly hasn’t developed juniors like his peers have.
Like Alistair Clarkson?

Let me repeat. Since 2006 Geelong has had zero single digit draft picks. How many did Richmond have post 2006?

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Like Alistair Clarkson?

Let me repeat. Since 2006 Geelong has had zero single digit draft picks. How many did Richmond have post 2006?

Tigers got absolutely screwed by the compromised draft era with gws and gc... pick 2 effectively become pick 14 after the new teams got their fill... they had 7 players innthe gf who were rookies originally... not bad!

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What a stupid question.

doesnt matter.

fact is we’ve had no top end choices so the percentages are always going to be massively against the ‘hits’ and in favour of the ‘misses.’

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
excuses?

answer the question.

I agree to this. Geelong haven't had if not any top 10 picks this decade or even last 15 years.
Well end of day as my earlier post suggested, Carlton & Melbourne have had more first rounders than I can count in that time and they're still putrid at best!
Great recruiting by Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back