Club Focus Geelong 2020 - Smith, Cameron, Higgins, Holmes, Neale, Stevens

AFL Club Focus

What is the Cats' priority this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong club focus thread

Glad to hear a bad hammy, but that may change our focus in the off season a little and/or change what we do with Buzza.
Yeah I agree in a way. I think Buzza deserves another contract maybe a year. But there been many times this year he should of got a game but I don't know why they never played him. Did my head in.

Yeah I agree in a way. I think Buzza deserves another contract maybe a year. But there been many times this year he should of got a game but I don't know why they never played him. Did my head in.

I suggested we look at Wylie, a Cats supporter popped in and said he has poor eye sight that will more than likely stop him from going to the next level.

His VFL numbers are bloody impressive but and someone my Bombers should target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggested we look at Wylie, a Cats supporter popped in and said he has poor eye sight that will more than likely stop him from going to the next level.

He should of played a few games this year, but our coach since last year just don't want to play him. We haven't played him enough to show what actually what can he or not do.... But why would you want another forward/ruck... You have heaps on your list

He should of played a few games this year, but our coach since last year just don't want to play him. We haven't played him enough to show what actually what can he or not do.... But why would you want another forward/ruck... You have heaps on your list

We don’t!

Hartley is a defended likely to leave for opportunities
Daniher is useless in the ruck
McKernan has been ok
Stewart is tall but plays like a small.

Hardly heaps as you suggested. He’d be pretty handy right now through

Buzza would be depth at most teams he would be traded to. Great bloke and hard worker but really needed to develop his rucking craft a little better as that second ruck/key forward. I would be happy to offer him another year but if he was to go I would be happy for him as well

What’s the go with Jed Bews? Heard he has knocked back an offer and is waiting till the end of the year to asses his options.

North are in desperate need for another accountable defender. I’d be keen on us chasing him!

What’s the go with Jed Bews? Heard he has knocked back an offer and is waiting till the end of the year to asses his options.

North are in desperate need for another accountable defender. I’d be keen on us chasing him!
By all reports he will stay at Geelong, he just wanted to get back playing more football as he had a injury start to the year.. but you never know. Money talks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t!

Hartley is a defended likely to leave for opportunities
Daniher is useless in the ruck
McKernan has been ok
Stewart is tall but plays like a small.

Hardly heaps as you suggested. He’d be pretty handy right now through

Buzza is ok but not great. His marking is poor (not sure if an eyesight issue) and without that he'll never become a quality forward. He's a trier though. We'd trade him for not much.

By all reports he will stay at Geelong, he just wanted to get back playing more football as he had a injury start to the year.. but you never know. Money talks

Basically that. If he gets regular games i doubt he leaves although he is FA.

I think a lot will rest on Kelly and Wells, Cats are in a win/win with Kelly if he stays we retain a good player but need to find 600k to up his contract, if he goes most likely to get late 1st rd and early 2nd rd at worst, allows constable to step up next year, Wells if he thinks he has good targets will transform our list by having 3 fairly high picks which Cats havent had for a while and if the draft stinks he will try for a Cameron and chuck all the picks at GWS.

It would have to be an offer I think. They're probably keeping their offers low right now to keep space in the cap in case Kelly signs. Once Kelly requests a trade I'd say there's more flexibility. He's a best 22 defender and father-son of a former captain so it'd have to be a solid offer.

He had laser eye surgery just after being drafted and ideally that would fix it.

I'm no expert, have zero inside info, and am probably the least qualified person to speculate on this in the history of wild speculation. But apparently you're supposed to have a stable prescription for a few years before you have the surgery and I'm guessing this might be because your prescription keeps drifting. It could be foreseeable that after the surgery it was fine but the prescription has since regressed. Not sure what a surgeon would recommend if his vision was still drifting.

Again: 100% speculation from someone who knows zero things

I listened to the trends podcast the other day on teamwork index and it got me thinking about our last few draft/trade periods. End of 2017 my greatest fear was the backline with Mackie and Domsy leaving the year after Boris. The cards looked to be stacked against us when we lost Taylor and Hendo so 5 of our best back 6 from a year earlier gone. The replacements we sent to the backline fitted in seamlessly. The cohesion they had a newly formed group was high. But when you think about it, Blitz came off the wing, Stewart and Kolo came from the 2s after spending a couple of year's in the cats system, Henry came from the forward line having spent no time at any level as a defender and came 3rd in the rising star off the back of it. Bews was in and out but wasn't really best 22. All of them had been training together a while. They were the best defense in the league that year and were noticeably worse when the mix started changing as Scott tried to work his more senior players back in.

By the end of 2018 our next major hole had been exposed - the forward line. Again we brought in a lot of new faces but still familiar. Sav, Miers, and Atkins straight from the VFL. Dahlhaus and Rohan played together for the Falcons as juniors. Ablett had probably trained the least with any of them but he's Gary Ablett. Despite them being a new group none of them are strangers and that trust helps build that cohesion. This year it looks like we've tried to build on that by making as few changes there as possible.

So what about our last draft? I reckon the review last year might have looked at team cohesion a bit and not just from the perspective of reduced changes to the 22 every week. Look at the ones we drafted who were familiar with each other on some level:

Jacob Kennerley & Ben Jarvis: played alongside each other at Norwood
Nathan Krueger & Jake Tarca: trained together at South Adelaide
Oscar Brownless & Blake Schlensog: both falcons who played alongside Gryan Miers.
Darcy Fort: played in the same falcons group with Dahlhaus and I believe a bottom ager in Rohans year.

With our elite contested mids being the wrong side of 30 our asking for trades, we need to move to remodel the midfield. So how do we do this while maintaining cohesion?

Elevating from within we have Chook as an inside player who just needs to work on his tank a little so next year looking more likely. The softly softly approach with Cockatoo should pay off and I'd be looking at him to rotate wing and on ball. Who do we look to add from outside though?

First add Jack Steven. Fits on many levels if Kelly leaves but especially having played alongside Danger as a Falcon there is the potential that they'd work together well from day dot. I'd also look to draft Cooper Stephens. He has played alongside a few of the falcons and looks decent.

The biggest peice is how to get more hitouts to advantage and clearances. So on this front my highly detailed strategy is to keep playing Stanley and pray.

If Grundy goes back to South Australia and nominates Adelaide as his club of choice, I can then see Geelong going after Reilly O’Brien. The Cats will have the cap space and draft picks to get a deal done.

If Grundy goes back to South Australia and nominates Adelaide as his club of choice, I can then see Geelong going after Reilly O’Brien. The Cats will have the cap space and draft picks to get a deal done.
Don't get our hopes up. Won't happen

The other interesting guy at the Cats is Quinton Narkle. Rated internally i'd assume but can't get a look into the senior side at the moment. Coming back from injury also but hyperthetically, what is this bloke worth?
Free. Worth nothing. Would rather keep though

From our last vfl game
Some good vision of Narkle’s clearance work, of which I was so impressed:

Last edited:
The other interesting guy at the Cats is Quinton Narkle. Rated internally i'd assume but can't get a look into the senior side at the moment. Coming back from injury also but hyperthetically, what is this bloke worth?
Hard to judge. No one would trade for him the value the cats place on him. Hes one of a few young mids, along with Constable and Cockatoo that are going to see a decent amount of opportunity open up for them next year. I think he'd probably need to spend more time in the seniors before other clubs would consider trading for him, especially as a contracted player

Back