Club Focus Geelong 2020 - Smith, Cameron, Higgins, Holmes, Neale, Stevens

AFL Club Focus

What is the Cats' priority this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong club focus thread
Free. Worth nothing. Would rather keep though

From our last vfl game
Not pictured: the centre clearance where he broke out the stoppage cleanly, sprinted out into space unhindered, and direct a beautiful lace out kick to the centre half forward 40m out directly in front... of the opposition forward line 🤔

Aside from that he looked ready for a seniors recall

I listened to the trends podcast the other day on teamwork index and it got me thinking about our last few draft/trade periods. End of 2017 my greatest fear was the backline with Mackie and Domsy leaving the year after Boris. The cards looked to be stacked against us when we lost Taylor and Hendo so 5 of our best back 6 from a year earlier gone. The replacements we sent to the backline fitted in seamlessly. The cohesion they had a newly formed group was high. But when you think about it, Blitz came off the wing, Stewart and Kolo came from the 2s after spending a couple of year's in the cats system, Henry came from the forward line having spent no time at any level as a defender and came 3rd in the rising star off the back of it. Bews was in and out but wasn't really best 22. All of them had been training together a while. They were the best defense in the league that year and were noticeably worse when the mix started changing as Scott tried to work his more senior players back in.

By the end of 2018 our next major hole had been exposed - the forward line. Again we brought in a lot of new faces but still familiar. Sav, Miers, and Atkins straight from the VFL. Dahlhaus and Rohan played together for the Falcons as juniors. Ablett had probably trained the least with any of them but he's Gary Ablett. Despite them being a new group none of them are strangers and that trust helps build that cohesion. This year it looks like we've tried to build on that by making as few changes there as possible.

So what about our last draft? I reckon the review last year might have looked at team cohesion a bit and not just from the perspective of reduced changes to the 22 every week. Look at the ones we drafted who were familiar with each other on some level:

Jacob Kennerley & Ben Jarvis: played alongside each other at Norwood
Nathan Krueger & Jake Tarca: trained together at South Adelaide
Oscar Brownless & Blake Schlensog: both falcons who played alongside Gryan Miers.
Darcy Fort: played in the same falcons group with Dahlhaus and I believe a bottom ager in Rohans year.

With our elite contested mids being the wrong side of 30 our asking for trades, we need to move to remodel the midfield. So how do we do this while maintaining cohesion?

Elevating from within we have Chook as an inside player who just needs to work on his tank a little so next year looking more likely. The softly softly approach with Cockatoo should pay off and I'd be looking at him to rotate wing and on ball. Who do we look to add from outside though?

First add Jack Steven. Fits on many levels if Kelly leaves but especially having played alongside Danger as a Falcon there is the potential that they'd work together well from day dot. I'd also look to draft Cooper Stephens. He has played alongside a few of the falcons and looks decent.

The biggest peice is how to get more hitouts to advantage and clearances. So on this front my highly detailed strategy is to keep playing Stanley and pray.
You had me, right up until you mentioned Jack Steven.

Buzza is ok but not great. His marking is poor (not sure if an eyesight issue) and without that he'll never become a quality forward. He's a trier though. We'd trade him for not much.
This is the Cockatoo thread, why am I surprised that there is so much off topic involved.

If Buzz needed to improve his marking, I've seen him take great marks in the VFL from limited views this year and go on to kick goals from those marks.

For me, Cocky re signing is a bonus & a tease. We all know how good he could be.

Last edited:
AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of this morning. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Gary Ablett, Jed Bews, Wylie Buzza, Jordan Cunico, Jamaine Jones, Lachie Henderson, Tim Kelly, Blake Schlensog, Scott Selwood, Zac Smith, Harry Taylor

Ablett seems set to wait until season's end before announcing whether he plays on, but his form has him in contention to be shortlisted for All Australian honours. Kelly is the other big talking point on whether he stays or goes, with the gun midfielder meeting with West Coast and Fremantle in recent times. Taylor, like Ablett, will make a call on what he wants to do post-season, but a third premiership may see him out. Henderson, Smith and Buzza have all been starved of senior opportunity to varying degrees and could look elsewhere. Selwood has also fallen out of favour, but Bews has played eight straight games since recovering from osteitis pubis.

Jones delist-3rd year rookie hasnt shown enough for elevation.
Buzza-delist average trier
Smith-old and average delist
S Selwood-see Smith
Schlensog-rookie b retain
Cunico-injured and fringe delist
Kelly-hope he stays but probably trade
Bews (FA) and Henderson will both be offered 1 year its if another club offers them a best 22 spot and a regular contract they might want to go.

Jones delist-3rd year rookie hasnt shown enough for elevation.
Buzza-delist average trier
Smith-old and average delist
S Selwood-see Smith
Schlensog-rookie b retain
Cunico-injured and fringe delist
Kelly-hope he stays but probably trade
Bews (FA) and Henderson will both be offered 1 year its if another club offers them a best 22 spot and a regular contract they might want to go.
Cunico is an interesting one. He was showing a bit before the injury. Giving him a year isn't the worst idea but probably depends where they Kennerley, Simpson, and Brownless in their development.

Cunico is an interesting one. He was showing a bit before the injury. Giving him a year isn't the worst idea but probably depends where they Kennerley, Simpson, and Brownless in their development.
Simpson and Zuthrie are upgraded this year to the senior list from last year's contact extension

For 2019 Geelong is the only club facing restrictions on trading future first round picks because of this "must use two first round picks every 4 years" rule.

According to McGowan (the journo that wrote the article above), Geelong isn't likely to receive special permission, so would need to trade in a first round pick before they'd be allowed to trade another one out.

For 2019 Geelong is the only club facing restrictions on trading future first round picks because of this "must use two first round picks every 4 years" rule.

According to McGowan (the journo that wrote the article above), Geelong isn't likely to receive special permission, so would need to trade in a first round pick before they'd be allowed to trade another one out.
I can't believe the person who wrote this article on this would think we would trade our 1st pick on a deal on Higgins or Steven.... FMD....

I can't believe the person who wrote this article on this would think we would trade our 1st pick on a deal on Higgins or Steven.... FMD....
🤷‍♀️ I would take that part with a massive grain of salt tbh. The main point is that you can't trade first round picks unless you get some more in. If Kelly goes I assume you'd get one that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

🤷‍♀️ I would take that part with a massive grain of salt tbh. The main point is that you can't trade first round picks unless you get some more in. If Kelly goes I assume you'd get one that way.
Sorry not having a go at you Lore, it was at the reporter of that article...
I think 90% of Cats fans here would like us to use most of our picks in the draft this year so we can keep bringing on our kids.. 3 NAB Rising Star Nomination this year is a good start for us...

Id like to see how they would deny us if we applied for an exemption ... its not like we have traded early picks away twice we are talking about slight down grades ..the difference in players is very debatable.. then add 3 RS nominations this year..not as if we are not developing and playing youth..

Id like to see how they would deny us if we applied for an exemption ... its not like we have traded early picks away twice we are talking about slight down grades ..the difference in players is very debatable.. then add 3 RS nominations this year..not as if we are not developing and playing youth..
Yep.

15 into 22 and Tuohy
19 into 24 and Ablett

Caught out on a technicality, missing out on the first round by a smidgen but still taking a fairly early pick, no real difference apart from what determines 'round 1' and 'round 2'.

It's kind of a moot point given that there's no targets we'd look at trading in for any firsts we had. If we end up with 3 firsts this year, we either select or trade them for future firsts

With the likely departures of Ablett,Kelly and Taylor the Cats need to replenish if they want a shot next season.

Draft Picks: 16,34,52,88

Geelong Receive: Pick 13,22 and Pick 31
West Coast Receive: Tim Kelly

Geelong Receive: Jack Steven
St Kilda Receive: Pick 52 and future fourth round pick.

Geelong Receive: Rory Laird and Josh Jenkins
Adelaide Receive: Pick 13 and future 3rd Round Pick.

Hawthorn Receive: Pick 31
Geelong Receive: Ben McEvoy

In: Pick 22, Rory Laird, Josh Jenkins, Jack Steven and Ben McEvoy

Out: Tim Kelly, Pick 13,31,52 and Future Third And Fourth Round Pick.

B Bews Blivcas Koldojashniji
HB Laird Henderson Stewart
C Guthrie Dangerfield Parfitt
HF Steven Hawkins Narkle
F Atkins Jenkins Miers
Foll: McEvoy Duncan Selwood
Inter: Constable , Menegola, O’Connor, Ratogolea

With the likely departures of Ablett,Kelly and Taylor the Cats need to replenish if they want a shot next season.

HF Steven Hawkins Narkle
F Atkins Jenkins Miers
Do you enjoy writing your fan fiction?

HF Steven Hawkins Narkle
F Atkins Jenkins Miers

Why would Hawthorn trade McEvoy?

Also Ratugolea has to be in front of Jenkins regardless of 2nd ruck credentials.

HF Steven Hawkins Narkle
F Atkins Jenkins Miers
You had me until Laird, McEvoy, and Jenkins. Laird won't be that cheap, McEvoy would be great but why would he even be leaving? Jenkins a known goal kicker but probably doesn't add the defensive pressure that underpins what the cats are trying to create.

Kelly at 24 in 2017 looks to have alleviated this.

If the Hun and AFL reports (his manager has also made a positive comment tonight) are to believed it is now

14, 17, 24, 33, 36. One of 33/36 to go to St.K for Steven.
2020 First rounders x2.

So take 4 first rounders in the first two years of this next cycle which should give trade flexibility for 2020-2022 to replace Selwood, Taylor, Ablett and Hawkins.
Get 4 good picks this year and 2 next year (albeit diluted so it'll seem).

Back