Geelongs 150 million government investment - Is this fair on the rest?

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Simple question

Eagles are capped for spending on everything. Our football department, our recruiting department. We then have clubs with very poor facilities like North, St Kilda and Carlton. Now football dept actually includes facilities belive it or not. When Eagles re did Lathlain, AFL rejected our first proposal since we actually had to downgrade our facilities by over 10 million dollars based on our first proposal to meet the standards the AFL wanted

Taking both sides into account, is it OK for Geelong to get 150 million dollars of NON club and NON football revenue to improve there chances of victory? Would the AFL let Andrew Forrest invest 250 million into the West Coast Eagles for example or because it came from a goverment source, does it not matter?

If the Victorian Govt is giving money, why is the AFL not trying to get control over how its spent? Why would the AFL not ask for construction deals to be split out across the state and other teams to also receive help?

I personally think it is fair, BUT the AFL need to change its rules. Eagles for example shouldnt be held to a spending cap if Geelong are not and nor should other teams. Its just another case of one rule for some and another rule for the rest if you ask me. Gil wants to speak of equality but never and I mean EVER enacts any form of decision to enforce it. Unless changes are made, Gil has set the competition up to be the second most non equal sport in the world outside of soccer

Is this what we actually want?

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
You're comparing your training base to an AFL stadium.

Cats just happen to use the same ground for both

Its only helping 1 team and 1 team only and has no ability to do anything but serve Geelongs interests. Its kind of the same concept. Why is the AFL letting hundreds of millions go into 1 team when the others are broke and on their ass?

The Victorian government actively went out of there way to improve the training facilities They are spending 40 mill on the facilities including training facilities. They got two lots of cash

We can change the title I suppose to 42 mill which is whats being spent on improving Geelongs footbal facilities

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Simple question

Eagles are capped for spending on everything. Our football department, our recruiting department. We then have clubs with very poor facilities like North, St Kilda and Carlton. Now football dept actually includes facilities belive it or not. When Eagles re did Lathlain, AFL rejected our first proposal since we actually had to downgrade our facilities by over 10 million dollars based on our first proposal to meet the standards the AFL wanted

Taking both sides into account, is it OK for Geelong to get 150 million dollars of NON club and NON football revenue to improve there chances of victory? Would the AFL let Andrew Forrest invest 250 million into the West Coast Eagles for example or because it came from a goverment source, does it not matter?

If the Victorian Govt is giving money, why is the AFL not trying to get control over how its spent? Why would the AFL not ask for construction deals to be split out across the state and other teams to also receive help?

I personally think it is fair, BUT the AFL need to change its rules. Eagles for example shouldnt be held to a spending cap if Geelong are not and nor should other teams. Its just another case of one rule for some and another rule for the rest if you ask me. Gil wants to speak of equality but never and I mean EVER enacts any form of decision to enforce it. Unless changes are made, Gil has set the competition up to be the second most non equal sport in the world outside of soccer

So its fair but its not fair.

Right O.

Very passive aggressive doublespeak of you.

The Victorian government actively went out of there way to improve the training facilities They are spending 40 mill on the facilities including training facilities. They got two lots of cash

We can change the title I suppose to 42 mill which is whats being spent on improving Geelongs footbal facilities
Are the training facilities open to anyone else other than the Cats?

Usually that kind of funding comes with community use strings

You've also got to remember it's classed as regional funding, not capital city and you got a brand new stadium for matches just recently

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagle fan crying about vic bias again.

Not really. Im more angry for the Bulldogs then anything

Have you ever been to there facilities? Its legit a health hazard it is so old and run down. Im pretty sure Gil can organise some of that 42 mill to go there, but he doesnt because he is a extremely weak leader

Not really. Im more angry for the Bulldogs then anything

Have you ever been to there facilities? Its legit a health hazard it is so old and run down. Im pretty sure Gil can organise some of that 42 mill to go there, but he doesnt because he is a extremely weak leader
Amazing that you didn't put any of that in your original post

again you are complaining that grounds used for training only aren't getting the same Government funding that a game that hosts AFL matches and services an entire region outside the Metro area gets

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
1: Geelong will just get less AFL handouts compared to over clubs over the next years.

2: The Government doesn't decide funding based on what the AFL wants, and if the AFL tries to manipulate it then the Government will just dry up the money.

Simple question

Geelong Football Club aren't getting the money. The City of Greater Geelong were as they were the owner's of Kardinia Park stadium until the Vic government set up the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust in 2016 to own the stadium and precinct assets and to operate the stadium and precinct. So the Trust is receiving the $150mil. See

A better grievance would be, why aren't Geelong being charged a commercial rent by the Trust?

The AFL has no cap on major capital expenditure by clubs. The AFL can't put a cap on a club building a new facility ie the bricks and mortar, but they can on the capital equipment that goes in their like gym equipment those Alter G machines, computers etc, that type of expenditure is covered by the footy department soft cap.

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
so its not fair?

Not at the moment. In actuality it should be if we had

Im not too sure why
Geelong Football Club aren't getting the money. The City of Greater Geelong were as they were the owner's of Kardinia Park stadium until the Vic government set up the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust in 2016 to own the stadium and precinct assets and to operate the stadium and precinct. So the Trust is receiving the $150mil. See

A better grievance would be, why aren't Geelong being charged a commercial rent by the Trust?

The AFL has no cap on major capital expenditure by clubs. The AFL can't put a cap on a club building a new facility ie the bricks and mortar, but they can on the capital equipment that goes in their like gym equipment those Alter G machines, computers etc, that type of expenditure is covered by the footy department soft cap.

Both are just stupid. Id love to own a gym in Gils world. If I was Bulldogs id just set up a gym in Gils house. Can save them rent money so they can buy better equipment. Can also make them equal to Geelong too

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Or should the AFL deem market value rent to be paid by Geelong when assessing the amount to be included in the soft cap?

Or can a club sponsor provide Alter G machines for $1 and only that much would count?

Or should the AFL deem market value rent to be paid by Geelong when assessing the amount to be included in the soft cap?

Or can a club sponsor provide Alter G machines for $1 and only that much would count?
Not sure you can put stadium rental - yes I know there would be 2 components, game day and non game day rent - into the soft cap given the number of variations across the league. The rent question I raised wasn't really about the soft cap, but more about general equalisation policies.

I've asked that sort of question before re sponsors subsidising football capital equipment, but nobody knows how it is handled, as AFL and clubs don't publicly explain it, and no footy journo bothers asking.

Simple question

Why don't you guys buy a stadium in Melbourne?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Its only helping 1 team and 1 team only and has no ability to do anything but serve Geelongs interests. Its kind of the same concept. Why is the AFL letting hundreds of millions go into 1 team when the others are broke and on their ass?

Do the users of the other 8 primary AFL grounds benefit at all from the various state governments pumping millions of dollars into the upgrading and upkeeping of those grounds or not?

If the answer is yes, wtf are you whinging about. What do you propose we do? Get some helicopters and relocate Geelong to Melbourne? Pick up the MCG or Docklands and take them down to Geelong? Have the Cats play out of Optus? Help me out here.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Now football dept actually includes facilities belive it or not.

Got a link on when that was introduced ?

How is it calculated?

When Eagles re did Lathlain, AFL rejected our first proposal since we actually had to downgrade our facilities by over 10 million dollars based on our first proposal to meet the standards the AFL wanted

Got the details ? Link?

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Not at the moment. In actuality it should be if we had

Im not too sure why

Both are just stupid. Id love to own a gym in Gils world. If I was Bulldogs id just set up a gym in Gils house. Can save them rent money so they can buy better equipment. Can also make them equal to Geelong too
There is the option of not being part of the league if this grievance and other perceived issues are so deeply traumatic to the clubs and fans over in the west.

It seems like there is something new to complain about every day with your lot. Most of us cant take it seriously anymore.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Simple question

Lol your third sentence - "We then have clubs with very poor facilities like North, St Kilda and Carlton"

Are you kidding?

Have you seen St Kilda's new digs? Have you seen North's? Carltons are great facilities at Princess Park.

The side with the worst facilities in Victoria is probably now Hawthorn or Melbourne and they are hardly s**t and Hawthorn they have Dingley in the pipleline.

Melbourne hasn't had their admin office in the same building as their football club in over 2 decades or something.

I'd argue the worst actual training facilities in the AFL are actually all non-Victorian sides.

There's also something in the Victorian sides that have been able to retain their inner city training venues and not relocated to the middle of nowhere at an Airport or next to a tip. St Kilda are the perfect example of how wrong that can go and they only really just moved down the road.

Last edited:
I think the West Coast Eagles will end up with their own stadium eventually, wholly owned by the club and pulling in $80,000,000 a season from it.

The most difficult part of the deal after financing is having the AFL fixture games at the 50,000 seat Hungry Jacks Stadium over the 60,000 seat Optus Stadium, that's what Geelong has trouble with at the moment.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
There is the option of not being part of the league if this grievance and other perceived issues are so deeply traumatic to the clubs and fans over in the west.

It seems like there is something new to complain about every day with your lot. Most of us cant take it seriously anymore.

Refer the GF deal.

Back