Remove this Banner Ad

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Just on fixtures.
Last year it was doom and gloom over the mountain we had to climb in the first half of the year, and happiness over the run in.
Turned out to be the opposite!

Optimists look at a future fixture and think: Oh well that's what we get- We can keep our s**t together.
Pessimists look at a future fixture and think: Oh my god we will lose our s**t over that lot.

2020? who knows. One day we will be 0-5 and losing it. Its been a while now. Don't know how I will handle it.

2020? who knows. One day we will be 0-5 and losing it. Its been a while now. Don't know how I will handle it.

Can you imagine if BigFooty existed back in 1999 when we were in the midst of the 9 game losing streak mid-season under Ayres? :eek:

Do we? How?

Not getting 11 genuine home games, and those games not at our home ground aren't due to us selling games either

If it's another reason then I'm not sure what it'd be

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm having difficulty articulating my point.
The club may wish to play 11 at KP. But there's 17 sides. They could give us 11 and still not send the big Melbourne clubs.

That is the nexus that needs to be broken. The afl in the presser effectively said the priority with the fixture was crowd sizes. That rules out the big clubs from KP.

I think the factor that is being overlooked is how long since those "big clubs" have actually won anything.

Carlton have been indisputably a "big club" for as long as I can remember. In terms of premierships they still are. But almost two decades of poor results has seen the AFL start treating them a lot less equally than others, and accordingly they've made the journey down to Geelong in each of the last two seasons. The last time was 1997 before then. My prediction is Essendon will be next. They've coming up on twenty years without a flag, and you watch, eventually they'll get a Geelong trip as well.

Richmond have gone the other way. They did make trips down the highway, but now they're pulling in ridiculous crowds at the MCG (and doing that other small thing called winning premierships), my guess is the AFL might mysteriously not schedule Geelong away games for a bit. It's neither a surprise nor new. Same reason Hawthorn haven't been down there since 2006.

I know the following is vfl related but thought those who like curtain raisers would be interested:

AN Easter Monday clash with Box Hill Hawks at the MCG is among five AFL curtain raisers Geelong’s VFL team will feature in next year.

The Cats meeting with the Hawks will precede the Geelong’s traditional AFL meeting with Hawthorn.

Geelong will also play four curtain raisers at GMHBA Stadium; against Sandringham on April 19, North Melbourne on May 30, Casey Demons on July 25 and Footscray on August 1.

With the MCG being a Geelong ‘home’ game, the Cats will play just seven matches at GMHBA Stadium, including a Round 1 meeting with Coburg on April 4.

Geelong will play the Demons, Hawks, Northern Blues and Werribee twice.

The Cats will also play four practice matches, starting with curtain raiser to the Marsh Series clash between Geelong and Essendon at Colac’s Central Reserve.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
I know the following is vfl related but thought those who like curtain raisers would be interested:

AN Easter Monday clash with Box Hill Hawks at the MCG is among five AFL curtain raisers Geelong’s VFL team will feature in next year.

The Cats meeting with the Hawks will precede the Geelong’s traditional AFL meeting with Hawthorn.

Geelong will also play four curtain raisers at GMHBA Stadium; against Sandringham on April 19, North Melbourne on May 30, Casey Demons on July 25 and Footscray on August 1.

With the MCG being a Geelong ‘home’ game, the Cats will play just seven matches at GMHBA Stadium, including a Round 1 meeting with Coburg on April 4.

Geelong will play the Demons, Hawks, Northern Blues and Werribee twice.

The Cats will also play four practice matches, starting with curtain raiser to the Marsh Series clash between Geelong and Essendon at Colac’s Central Reserve.

Being from Tassie, I love a double header.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the factor that is being overlooked is how long since those "big clubs" have actually won anything.

Carlton have been indisputably a "big club" for as long as I can remember. In terms of premierships they still are. But almost two decades of poor results has seen the AFL start treating them a lot less equally than others, and accordingly they've made the journey down to Geelong in each of the last two seasons. The last time was 1997 before then. My prediction is Essendon will be next. They've coming up on twenty years without a flag, and you watch, eventually they'll get a Geelong trip as well.

Richmond have gone the other way. They did make trips down the highway, but now they're pulling in ridiculous crowds at the MCG (and doing that other small thing called winning premierships), my guess is the AFL might mysteriously not schedule Geelong away games for a bit. It's neither a surprise nor new. Same reason Hawthorn haven't been down there since 2006.
Yes and hawthorn dont pull anything like the crowds richmond do... they are due to visit the cattery! They think they are big four but they arent.

Jono_Hain97

All Australian
Dec 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
A trade off with hawthorn where you play them once at KP and once at their home away from home in Tasmania and then one game at KP against the team who finishes lowest the previous year (out of Richmond, Essendon, Carlton and Pies) would be one way you could get 11 home games each year

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 2
Friday, June 12
Geelong vs. Hawthorn, GMHBA Stadium, 7:50pm AEST

Round 3
Saturday, June 20
Geelong vs. Carlton, GMHBA Stadium, 7:40pm AEST

Round 4
Sunday, June 28
Melbourne vs. Geelong, MCG, 3:35pm AEST

Round 5
Saturday, July 4
Geelong vs. Gold Coast, GMHBA, 4:35pm AEST

3 Homes games, other game at the MCG. Not a bad result.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 2
Friday, June 12

Round 3
Saturday, June 20

Round 4
Sunday, June 28

Round 5
Saturday, July 4

Wow that's a soft draw

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 2
Friday, June 12

Round 3
Saturday, June 20

Round 4
Sunday, June 28

Round 5
Saturday, July 4

Terrible result if people can go to games in the second half of the season. It means all our home games had no crowd advantage.

remember each team plays each other once now so there is no luck with who you play.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Each team plays each other once. There is no soft draws or hard draws.

Just pretend that I said "This portion of the draw is notably soft, which seems relevant as providing a reasonable opportunity to make a positive second start to the season and hopefully provide momentum going forward"

Most people probably don't need the distinction explained, but I love and appreciate you inclusive of of your differences

Remove this Banner Ad

Back