goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I would like this silly notion that the final round start times remain fluid until late in the season to be scrapped. It is completely unnecessary. With the bye between round 23 and finals why not treat the scheduling of R23 games like any other H&A round? Have the powers-that-be not woken up to their folly?

Absolutely inane that the AFL continues with this approach, given the week off that every finalist enjoys after the final round. There is consequently no need to ensure adequate rest for any team, regardless of their ladder position.

So, as has been said, this 'initiative' simply means that interstate supporters like me cannot realistically look to come to this game. The inability to book flights early enough to get some decent discounts totally precludes it.

Amateur hour strikes again...

:mad:

All this home final stuff wasnt an issue in 07/09/11... but is now?
and the stadium was less than 1/2 the facility it is now.. but what does progress matter right?

And no - this is not to become a GFC home final thread... so dont bother.

its a 2020 fixture thread.

GO Catters

As pointed out earlier, we are one of only 4 clubs who exclusively play at our ground which gives us a massive advantage over other home teams ( tge vast majority) who have to share their hone ground and therefore dilute their advantage.
they didint have to give up their home grounds.. they chose to.... their loss... sp we should get arsed out because they made poor choices?

GO Catters

Draw looks fine to me.

Never getting 11 games.
And certainly not until the club asks to play Collingwood Essendon etc at KP.

The club wants its cake and to eat it too.

Last 9 rounds are a cruise.
Considering the club asks to play 11 home games at KP, I'd say it's safe to suggest that includes playing the likes of Collingwood, Essendon & Hawthorn on our home turf

They have really been pushing to play at least one of the bigger teams at KP each season as a real draw card for games in Geelong

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Why do our own fans pedal this s**t? This is what Caroline Wilson wants you to think because it means more MCG games for her Tigers.

The club comes out and says we want 11 home games at Geelong. I haven’t seen an asterix anywhere. If you can find me a quote from the club where they ask for 11 home games in Geelong, but we’d be happy to play the Pies/Dons at the G I’d be very interested to read it.

Everything the club has said has been along the lines of: “We ask for 11 home games, are denied, and are forced to play the “big 4” at the G”.

Draw looks fine to me.

Never getting 11 games.

Last 9 rounds are a cruise.
You are a well read man VC but this makes no sense to me - been plenty of noise from the club over this

GO Catters

Has to be the hardest draw we've had in a while

Saints could go both ways but with the new coach bounce and an influx of talent you'd have to say our bottom 6 double up is a serious chance at finals. This is supposedly our easiest match up.

Hawks with Mitchell back and a fit Patton forward could do some serious damage and given we play them after the bye you'd have to lock in at least one loss of those two against technically our second easiest opponent.

Lions look like they could go either way 50/50.

Eagles are going to be unstoppable next year, saving grace is that they aren't great at GMHBA so we should be able to scrape 1 from 2.

GWS coming of a grand finals appearance could be hungry and they beat us at home last year. Could easily lose both those.

We'll be doing well to break even against those

I read this and got an overwhelming sense of deja vu ... similar sentiments were expressed last year about our opening 6 games....

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Has to be the hardest draw we've had in a while

Saints could go both ways but with the new coach bounce and an influx of talent you'd have to say our bottom 6 double up is a serious chance at finals. This is supposedly our easiest match up.

Hawks with Mitchell back and a fit Patton forward could do some serious damage and given we play them after the bye you'd have to lock in at least one loss of those two against technically our second easiest opponent.

Lions look like they could go either way 50/50.

Eagles are going to be unstoppable next year, saving grace is that they aren't great at GMHBA so we should be able to scrape 1 from 2.

GWS coming of a grand finals appearance could be hungry and they beat us at home last year. Could easily lose both those.

We'll be doing well to break even against those
Not sure that grand final appearance is going to do wonders for the GWS playing group going forward.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Not sure that grand final appearance is going to do wonders for the GWS playing group going forward.

If what happened with Port after the 119 is any indication, they could be a very different proposition next year.

In any case, I don't mind playing them first up away. Would (potentially) be a difficult interstate assignment at any point of the season. So knocking one over right off the top doesn't seem too bad to me.

And, despite the challenge of the early weeks, to have half of our interstate games done for the year by Round 6 seems like quite a good outcome as well. If we're good enough, we could go 2-1 across those games and bed in some Victorian wins after that. And even if we falter early, there will be plenty of games closer to home to come in the back end of the season to push us back into contention (if we're not shot to pieces by then).

Overall, the draw seems fair enough, really. Once you acknowledge that the AFL was always likely to screw with our eminently reasonable request for more games at KP, the rest of the story was relatively predictable.

And if we get to halfway at even 6-5, I think 15-7 or better is a real possibility from there. So, for mine, there'll be no excuses based on our draw when we reach the end of the H&A next season.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Absolutely inane that the AFL continues with this approach, given the week off that every finalist enjoys after the final round. There is consequently no need to ensure adequate rest for any team, regardless of their ladder position.

So, as has been said, this 'initiative' simply means that interstate supporters like me cannot realistically look to come to this game. The inability to book flights early enough to get some decent discounts totally precludes it.

Amateur hour strikes again...

:mad:

I hadn't considered that but it is an excellent point. Can ANYONE here suggest why a fluid R23 is still in place when there is a week off between H&A and finals footy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe but then why not make R22 fluid as well?
Well, it was already fluid, so I suppose they felt no reason to change it given it gave them that ability to maximize viewers/revenue for broadcasters without that reason being overtly clear. If they start making other rounds fluid so they can put the best games in the best time slots, then such intentions become quite clear.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty good fixture, considering where we finished this year.

Total number of games at Kardinia Park is fine - we should always play two home games at the MCG. Just a pity that the big teams cannot alternate each year and come down the highway. There should be no reason why we don't host one of the Bombers, Pies, Hawks and Richmond each year. For them, coming down once every four years should be a pleasurable experience. Dare I say it - even fans of those teams might live in Geelong.

Final round will always be floating now - it's for TV, nothing else.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
You are a well read man VC but this makes no sense to me - been plenty of noise from the club over this

GO Catters
To be honest mate, I read stuff all about footy these days.

I'm having difficulty articulating my point.
The club may wish to play 11 at KP. But there's 17 sides. They could give us 11 and still not send the big Melbourne clubs.

That is the nexus that needs to be broken. The afl in the presser effectively said the priority with the fixture was crowd sizes. That rules out the big clubs from KP.

The club almost needs to say 'we are ok with 9 games but we want 2 of these 5 clubs to play us at KP.
Then prove it works. Break that nexus I mentioned.
Then look for 10, 11 games.

Fwiw I think 9 is the right number. However if the club wants 11 games the afl should give it to them.

Just cant see us winning with this group abd coach so fixture not that important.
youll get one "i told you so"

Then the thread bans will appear

so use it wisely.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back