Geelong's 3 worst coaches in the last 50 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ready for everyone who will shoot me down, but in a thread like this the 2 greatest negatives about the cultural history of the GFC, Geelong Fans and City of Geelong have to be mentioned before Geelong coaches can be judged.

They both have to do with the word "Glorification".

1. Geelong people have a massive tendency to treat their players like champions in the street despite what the individual or the side’s performance on the field has been like at the time. This unearned Glorification has on many occasions occurred to the point that players can often tend to rest on their laurels from past efforts and not try as hard as they could in games.

2. This opinion of “That the players at The Cattery can do no long” has then often been the backbone to the policy of who is been selected as coach of the GFC. Geelong has gone through coach after coach of skilled footballers in ex-Cats stars whose skills are purely on field when it comes to football. It was like this until Ex-Tiger Tommy Hafey was appointed coach for years. The club literally thought they would eventually find another Reg Hickey on each appointment. After Tom Hafey they went back to this “Inside-Finding-Reg-Hickey-Thinking-Again”.

Therefore as a consequence people tend to have made a number of presumptions, such as:

1. When finally an outside head in Blight turned a team making up the numbers in the comp into a finals winner, they have pumped his tyres into being the Perfect Coach. In reality he was not, he was certainty a very good coach but a whole group of Ex-Cats as coaches throughout the 70’s and 80’s had been masking that GFC always had reasonable recruiting and players in this time. Tommy Hafey also showed this in the club’s forward movement in his short tenure at the club. Not only this Devine had recruited an unbelievable line up before Blight had come, but was such a buffoon he did a even more unbelievable job of hiding such a fact.

2. I am not an Ayres fan. I will lay it out that I am Port Melbourne fan as well as a Cat (I never asked for the AFL Reserves to end). I think the reality is however that Ayres is much better suited to the suburban recruitment and raw pure coaching of VFA than the sports science complicated list management in the AFL. He’s the type that could have coached a VFL flag in the 70’s, he has done incredibly well in motivating the unaligned Port side into playing some football many considered well beyond their station.
However I agree his managing side of thing were not that great at Geelong, Jason Mooney? Brett Spinks? Not my favourite Full Forwards of all time.
I have to agree with what someone said previous through, and that was that a most of these blokes the champions they were- still may have needed to go.

The time was 1996-7 and if you look at the season after season these guys had already played and most professional footballers now days don’t get anywhere near that. Professional football had just arrived and the Geelong side of 1997 without these veterans showed that football was/had changed dramatically when you compare the significant style and personal difference in this side (Which easily could have won a flag) to the 1995 GF side. At this time a lot club’s were edging their late 80’s stars into retirement. At cats fans unfortunately these stars were by far the biggest some of (one was) the biggest stars we had seen.

Therefore considering the players Devine had in 1988, I would say he would have to be the worst. It is true he recruited well, but Geelong never recruited that badly in pre-draft days, Geelong always had some very good players in these periods, it was more club culture and structure that let them down.

If Devine had had to of gone through the national draft to recruit, the fact that he could hid the talents of that 1988 side so well in his inept coaching I think it would have been him hiding the talents of the 18 Stephen Hooper like individuals he had selected who were on the field and things would have been a lot worse. Certainly a lot worse than Ayres 1997 side that could won a flag and 1995 that will undoubtedly the 2nd best side out of 16.

I think Ablett Snr ended his own career. He was 34, had a drug problem and bad knees. Put a few things at Ayres's foot but to blame him for Ablett's end is absurd.

We played some good football under him, most notably in 97 when we were very unlucky.

Weather Ablett ended his own career or not it was the complete lack of respect he was shown at the end, like others before him.

97 - still breaks my heart to think about it - we were robbed against the crows in the semi final. :mad:

Gary Ayres = Scum!

If Devine had had to of gone through the national draft to recruit, the fact that he could hid the talents of that 1988 side so well in his inept coaching I think it would have been him hiding the talents of the 18 Stephen Hooper like individuals he had selected who were on the field and things would have been a lot worse. Certainly a lot worse than Ayres 1997 side that could won a flag and 1995 that will undoubtedly the 2nd best side out of 16.

I'm not sure I understand much of that, but I'm pretty sure Hooper was drafted by Blight, not Devine.

I'm not sure I understand much of that, but I'm pretty sure Hooper was drafted by Blight, not Devine.

Of course Hooper was drafted by Blight in the 1990's, I was using him as an example of a all time bad draft move and overall pretty poor player.

My point was that Devine never really had to draft had the comfort of the pre-national draft period of recruiting were it was much easier to just sign players rather than make sound draft choices.

When Devine was coach his style (like most of those Ex-Cat coaches) was to do nothing, and perhaps hope Ablett or Linder had a really good day out and maybe sneak us across the line.

Therefore I think if he had to draft players rather than being allowed to go on a solid cash induced recruiting drive (Which formed the framework of the early 1990's sides) things would of been a lot worse.

Def a lot worse than the 1997 season - Which all these Ayres haters above still acknowledge as a very strong (yet open) season for the club. Plus a season that was much more Ayres than Blight in the style the team played.

Of course Hooper was drafted by Blight in the 1990's, I was using him as an example of a all time bad draft move and overall pretty poor player.

hooper was the consensus no.1 pick at the time, if it was not geelong it would have been another team.

and considering we gave up david cameron and shane hamilton and maybe our pick for him not much was lost.

hooper was the consensus no.1 pick at the time, if it was not geelong it would have been another team.

and considering we gave up david cameron and shane hamilton and maybe our pick for him not much was lost.

If I remember correctly Hooper didn't look too bad at first then got a leg injury of some kind, and lost all mobility.

Still don't think Devine was anywhere near as bad as Ayres. His results weren't that much different to Hafey - and Hafey had better players at his disposal. He just had too long out of football.

If I remember correctly Hooper didn't look too bad at first then got a leg injury of some kind, and lost all mobility.

Still don't think Devine was anywhere near as bad as Ayres. His results weren't that much different to Hafey - and Hafey had better players at his disposal. He just had too long out of football.
He was also shocking with the man management side. In his time at Geelong he had board members turning on each other, player revolts and some players just not turning up to training. He had no idea of how to deal with Ablett who at the time was contemplating a move back to Hawthorn, even Couch wanted out because of Devine. And as mentioned, his treatment of Jackson was a disgrace.

3. Gary Ayres
2. Daylight
1. Gary 'Bird-Flipping' Ayres

The worst thing about him was, well, everything about him. And not to mention we would've won a flag in 1995-1997 if we weren't for Ayres. :thumbsdown:

I'm surprised that no Hawks supporters have trolled onto this thread.

Agree with everyone on this thread, Ayres totally screwed up Geelong and then went and did the same with Adelaide.

I want to question a few things I've heard about Billy Goggin. Apparently he was known for rocking the boat as a club administrator and as a coach. He was instrumental in the sackings of both Rod Olsen and Tom Hafey because they were trying to find another home grown Reg Hickey. There were apparantly quite a few players he didn't see eye to eye with as coach. That recent letter of apology in the Addy about the "Sidebottom miss the bus" scandle has me wondering.
Is there anyone who has any more knowledge of what Billy Goggin was like when he was at the club ?

Maybe you could call this nitpicking but that fact is the club still drafted Steven Hooper -even if others would have done the same it remains a fact.

Agreed, Cameron was gone..

However I was a big fan of Shane Hamilton who was a far superior player to Hooper and still young when traded.
Hamilton obviously had his 7 goal debut and i believe won a under 19's best and fairest. He would of been playing seniors the whole season in almost every other side in 1988 and 1989. He had a stunning consistent finals series for a kid where picked up 29 "Old Footy Stat" touches and 2 goals in the SF agianst the Dees'.

If he played a full season at 18yrs liked he did that end of 1989 these days the Rising Star Award would of been his. The next year he stats showed he only played 14 games but he still had some solid games from memory and the stats say he average over 14 touches.

At the Bears he always ave in the mid to high teens in Disposals in his first four seasons there, the downside being the fact he had a habit it seems of playing 14 games a season. Still the Cats would of been better served with someone like him on a flank that a Steven Hooper at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I walked past Ayres in the street today, I'd still feel the urge to get in his face and give him the biggest spray possible. Isn't great how far our club has come from when the coach & captain left with the place in financial ruin. Class...

The only coaches I've known are Blight, Ayres and Thompson and yes Ayres is the worst of those three, but I'd like to hear from someone who had followed Geelong for 50 years because we certainly went through a fairly extensive period of mediocrity from 1963 to 1989.

I do not like Ayres but he did inherit a list that was at the end of its powers. Should remember that Blight could not convert a premiership in 1991-1993 - years when we were at our peak. Having said that the 1997 season was a horror missed opportunity but then so was 1993 under Blight.

I'm surprised that no Hawks supporters have trolled onto this thread.

Agree with everyone on this thread, Ayres totally screwed up Geelong and then went and did the same with Adelaide.

I want to question a few things I've heard about Billy Goggin. Apparently he was known for rocking the boat as a club administrator and as a coach. He was instrumental in the sackings of both Rod Olsen and Tom Hafey because they were trying to find another home grown Reg Hickey. There were apparantly quite a few players he didn't see eye to eye with as coach. That recent letter of apology in the Addy about the "Sidebottom miss the bus" scandle has me wondering.
Is there anyone who has any more knowledge of what Billy Goggin was like when he was at the club ?
I knew Rod Blake at the time (he was a Vet student) and in his opinion Goggin was the best coach he'd had- a "DOER", rather than a gospeller. He got the best out of most. (Wonder if David Clarke and Sidebottom would agree.) Maybe Blakey was being diplomatic, but it was a straightforward reply to this current question 30 odd years ago.
Had the opportunity to be in the rooms at that time, and listening to Billy was inspirational. He virtually predicted what actually took place one year when we were about to face a rampaging Essendon near an end of season H & A game just before the finals.
[Why didn't Sidey use his mobile phone??-pretty irresponsible for a footballer to just not turn up? Poor Peter Johnson was filling his face with junk and had to replace him.]
Can't comment on those political comments you raise.
From some reports, Polly Farmer was a poor coach, more concerned with horse race results during games.
Got the impression from some of the Med staff that even they were intimidated by Ayers, almost had to make appointments to discuss issues, very strict disciplinarian, which maybe we needed but couldn't handle with the vast array of differing personalities we had back then.
I was personally most disappointed we couldn't snare a flag under Blight. Guess we were never THE BEST TEAM back then, always 2nd best.

I was personally most disappointed we couldn't snare a flag under Blight. Guess we were never THE BEST TEAM back then, always 2nd best.

I think the problem with Malcolm Blight was he was so focussed on all-out attack that he neglected the defensive side of the game.

I remember hearing Andrew Bews talking about Blight on K-Rock a few years back, and he was talking about how Blight was talking to Gaz, Stoneham and another forward before a game. Bewsy approached Blight and asked him what he wanted the defenders to do that day. Blight told him to talk it over with the other defenders, then resumed his conversation with the forwards.

We did have a sensational attacking side in those days, but I guess it's no surprise that we tended to struggle against those sides who had a strong defence, such as the Eagles and Hawks, and even Collingwood to a degree.

However I was a big fan of Shane Hamilton who was a far superior player to Hooper and still young when traded.
Hamilton obviously had his 7 goal debut

Was that the same game (at the SCG in 87) when Lindner bombed a goal out of the centre and we stormed home and won? Sydney were in the midst of their good years under Hafey, some may recall.

1989. He had a stunning consistent finals series for a kid where picked up 29 "Old Footy Stat" touches and 2 goals in the SF agianst the Dees'.
Will always remember in that 89 GF, 2nd quarter, on the wing, he screwed the ball (on his left foot and under pressure) right into the hands of Ablett on the lead in front of Langford. Twas a magnificent bit of skill. Was sad to see him leave the Catters...

[Why didn't Sidey use his mobile phone??-pretty irresponsible for a footballer to just not turn up? Poor Peter Johnson was filling his face with junk and had to replace him.]

Not sure if Sidey would have picked up any signal in those days. But it's a shame someone didn't lend him 10 cents to make a call from one of those old-fashioned phone-booths we had in those days.

Just my two-cents, but Ayres is the worst coach I've experienced in 36 years following the Cats. Actually, make that 31 years - he was so awful, I gave up the love and interest for five years.

I think the problem with Malcolm Blight was he was so focussed on all-out attack that he neglected the defensive side of the game.

True - and as a result, after being exposed by WC in the 92GF, he attempted to address this in '93 by changing the game-plan to incorporate a more defensive focus. However, after 4 years of playing the "Blight Way", the players struggled to adapt and the first half of the season was very inconsistent. Then after they got flogged by the Saints at Waverley (I think - the memory's getting a bit hazy :eek::eek:), the players got together and decided that they needed to revert to the older style - which immediately delivered results (as Gazza Snr mentioned in his video). From memory, we annihilated North at the G (Gazza got his 1st ton :p) and then Hawthorn at KP (only time I've ever tipped against the Cats and we won by 82 points:p:p - just about most satisfying H/A win I've ever seen), then we knocked over Collingwood at Waverley, Essendon (last time we ever played them at KP, I reckon) and West Coast in the last round at the WACA. We were the hottest team going into the finals, but missed out owing to the poor first half-a-season.

With regard to the topic of the thread... I can only vaguely recall Olsson, Goggin and Hafey, as I was a kid, but from Devine onwards I was following pretty closely, so here goes...

1. Ayres. Not surprising, following on from the general tone so far, however, my choice is due to different reasons. I'll give him this - he tried to change the culture of mediocrity and instill a more team-oriented approach (after the flamboyance of Blight), and he did, I believe, play a big part in getting us to equal top in 97 with this newer approach. However, he was (is) dogmatic, arrogant and above all, inflexible. It was 'his way' or 'no way', and I'll never forgive him for citing his main reason for leaving as, "I'm a Career Coach." What an arrogant c@$*head - it was no wonder he lost the playing group! Also, I don't ever believe he had much love for the Club - the job was just another thing fuelling his ego.

2. Devine. Just too far removed from the game, and the dictatorial style of the 60's and 70's was fast disappearing in those days of near full-time professionalism.

That only leaves Blight and Thompson, so I won't pick a third. I will say this, though - most will have forgotten the 91 season when we lost to WC in the Prelim after going down to Haw by 2 points the week before. I still believe that this was the best team we had in the Blight era. We had a number of players out or under clouds with injury/suspension in that game (Ablett, Brownless, Stoneham, Bourke, who had been sensational that season, Bairstow not the same after the Kelly hit in Rd.22 that someone else mentioned earlier) , and I'll go to the grave believing if they had been available/fit, we were the equal of Hawthorn and definitely better than WC.

Anyway, enough of my waffle! Good to be back on here after some time and GO CATTERS in 2010 :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Not sure if Sidey would have picked up any signal in those days. But it's a shame someone didn't lend him 10 cents to make a call from one of those old-fashioned phone-booths we had in those days.

Just my two-cents, but Ayres is the worst coach I've experienced in 36 years following the Cats. Actually, make that 31 years - he was so awful, I gave up the love and interest for five years.
Obviously joking about the mobile but still can't accept a league footballer would miss a game because he wasn't picked up, not mking his own way to the MCG, knowing he was selected to play in a final--preposterous really. Wouldn't happen today. Sidebottom could have been the difference that year. Bit like Mooney missing a final in 07

John Devine for mine because he had the cattle in 87-88 but we never played finals.

I thought at times that each coach in my time following the Cats have had their moments from Olssen to Thompson. I thought 82-83 we were especially insipid.

AS I go back a few years Big Polly would have to be the worst.He coached as a payback to the club for some SP debts.(so the word at the time was)Did not have his heart in it and would be more than happy being at the dogs.(racing that is)
John Devine was a great bloke but couldn't coach for sh!t.
Last but by no means least some bloke called Ayres comes to mind.

1. Gary Ayres
2. Gary Ayres
3. Gary Ayres

Gary Ayres, Gary Ayres, Gary Ayres, Gary Ayres, Gary Ayres, Gary Ayres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back