Opinion Geelongs best 22 ever, with a twist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok ok, abletts in.
Gee I would have thought they were both ok with a loss to be honest.
No way would they have willed themselves like Selwood today.

So, they are in until someone kicks them out.

Until convinced otherwise

B......J Scarlett
HB
C, Selwood, Jeffries, Ablett Snr
HF, chapman.
F, rooke

R, g hocking, Ablett Jnr.

I think we might struggle to find 22 players to be honest.. I can only go from 1988/89.. and think of 16 off the top of my head..

Players who are/were super competitive and/or not afraid of physical contact (either giving or receiving)?

B: Rooke M.Scarlett Milburn
HB: M.Yeates McGrath Mansfield
C: Bruns Selwood Bartel
HF: Chapman C.Mooney Cockatoo
F: G.Ablett Snr
Foll: Bourke G.Hocking A.Bews

Edit: Tanner would probably make it, the rifleman!

I think we might struggle to find 22 players to be honest.. I can only go from 1988/89.. and think of 15 off the top of my head..

Players who are/were super competitive and/or not afraid of physical contact (either giving or receiving)?

Some great gets in there. How could we get two pages in before mentioning Milburn!

Ok ok, abletts in.
Gee I would have thought they were both ok with a loss to be honest.
No way would they have willed themselves like Selwood today.

So, they are in until someone kicks them out.

B......J Scarlett
HB
HF, chapman.
F, rooke

Watch the '07 prelim again. Ablett jnr's goal to get us over the line I would have thought typified someone, albeit who is highly skilled, that "willed" himself to win that contest and the game. Competitiveness is shown in different ways. Ablett may have won his share of uncontested possessions but in his glory years at the club he was also our leading contested possession winner.

Maybe my memory of him is clouded by my youth at the time but Barnesy was the sort of bloke who would throw himself into everything wasn't he?

Yeah, good call. You always knew what you were going to get with Barnesy, everything he had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not our best 22, that's another thread.
I'm starting to think Matthew should be in too. I reckon he would knock the school lunch out of your hands. :)
Also think Yeates, Card, and Milburn need to at least make a preliminary list.

B. M. Scarlett, J Scarlett
HB Yeates, Card, Milburn
HF, chapman.
F, rooke

No ruckman so far. Would Woodman make the grade? I wouldn't have thought so.

Players nominated but not yet added.
Cam Mooney, Brad Sholl, Damien Bourke, Bartel, J.Corey, G. Tanner, McGrath, Mansfield, Bruns, Cockatoo, Bews, Preston, Woodman, Barnes, King, Devine, Kelly.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I'd have:
J.Selwood, Buddha, Gaz Snr, Scarlo, Rooke, Bews snr, Milburn, McGrath, S.King, Chappy, S.Hocking, J.Kelly

I think we might struggle to find 22 players to be honest.. I can only go from 1988/89.. and think of 16 off the top of my head..

Great call for Micky Mansfield
He was as hard as a cats head and one of the only blokes who fired a shot in the 94 GF

It was the 95 GF. And Carlton liked his game so much they never forgot and took him off our hands. That pick was then used to get Chapman. #Winning
I am certain it was the 94 Granny... he and Billy were our only decent players that day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back