Opinion Geelongs best 22 ever, with a twist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doug Wade has to be full forward!!
Not sure if he fits the bill. He rarely ventured too far and I do not remember him being the sort of footballer who'd bust a gut to get the team over the line. Perhaps I am biased because he walked out of the club to play for North.

Not sure if he fits the bill. He rarely ventured too far and I do not remember him being the sort of footballer who'd bust a gut to get the team over the line. Perhaps I am biased because he walked out of the club to play for North.
Considered bone of the toughest FF to have played the game.
When you kick over 1000 goals no need to venture far!

Considered bone of the toughest FF to have played the game.
When you kick over 1000 goals no need to venture far!
I better re-read the OP's instructions!

Edit: OP says, "Quite simply, it's the guys that 'seem' to be willing to die to get the side over the line". Not the most talented or toughest.

Does anyone remember Jeffries meeting the criteria. AND should Mick turner be considered? And what was Leo like?
M.Turner was my favourite player years ago, BUT, a self-admitted picky player who would not mentally turn up if wet, cold, windy. Put him on the G in perfect conditions, he would beat Flower et al.
Paul Jefferies TOTALLY meets the criteria-desperate, tough and #22. A great mark too. Always played like there was no tomorrow.

Abletts, rooke, shocking, ghocking, Selwood, chapman, Scarlett, milburn, Corey, ling are the obvious ones from my time of watching.
Add Card, Jefferies, Goggin, Devine-the epitomy of this thread, Vinar, Bews, Denham, Lonergan*, Newman*, Enright- surely, and J Scarlett.

*- any player who who has lost a kidney and come back to serve the team as admirably as these 2 champs is straight in , imho.

S. Hocking, M.Scarlett, Lonergan
Devine, Jefferies, Enright
Milburn, Selwood, Ling
Chapman, Newman, Rooke
Bews, Ablett snr, Ablett jnr- for the team!
Vinar, G. Hocking, Goggin,
J Scarlett, Corey, Denham, Card.

Not a backward coming 22.

Last edited:
I better re-read the OP's instructions!

Edit: OP says, "Quite simply, it's the guys that 'seem' to be willing to die to get the side over the line". Not the most talented or toughest.
He would have stealed another kid's lunch though... Actually with that in mind, Billy Brownless should be a lock, maybe even David Mensch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching that on TV was as significant a memory for me as watching the Twin Towers fall or the hearing that Princess Diana died. Horrific
Agree. Was there right in view of Buddha attempting to reduce the fracture while waiting for roadside assistance, it seemed.

Add Card, Jefferies, Goggin, Devine-the epitomy of this thread, Vinar, Bews, Denham, Lonergan*, Newman*, Enright- surely, and J Scarlett.

*- any player who who has lost a kidney and come back to serve the team as admirably as these 2 champs is straight in , imho.

S. Hocking, M.Scarlett, Lonergan
Devine, Jefferies, Enright
Milburn, Selwood, Ling
Chapman, Vinar, Rooke
Bews, Ablett snr, Ablett jnr- for the team!
Newman, G. Hocking, Goggin,
J Scarlett, Corey, Denham, Card.

Not a backward coming 22.

And Rosenow to keep the opposition bench and coaches under control.;)

OK, I'll give it a shot with discretion to make changes as we go

B: A. Bews J. Scarlett M. Rooke
HB: R. Card R. Hickey D. Milburn
C: R. Neale G. Williams P. Couch
HF: P. Chapman B. Stoneham J. Bartel
F: G. Ablett Jnr G. Ablett Snr P. Dangerfield
R: G. Farmer J. Selwood B. Goggin
I: J. Devine W. Closter M. Scarlett N. Bruns

All of these players would have moved heaven and earth to win a game of footy and prayed on 1 percenters.

Ok ok, abletts in.
Gee I would have thought they were both ok with a loss to be honest.
No way would they have willed themselves like Selwood today.

Did you watch both Ablett's careers?

Geelong were a rabble in the 80's. If Ablett wasn't averaging 3-4 goals per game, we'd be doing a St Kilda and finishing near the bottom of the ladder for years on end.
Selwood's a champion and will go down as one of the top 5 greatest Geelong players of all time but Senior had more ability and match winning quality than Selwood's entire family combined.
Selwood's game on Sunday was great but it was nothing compared to Ablett at his peak. 1 goal and 2 direct goal assists from Selwood was a typical game from Senior in 1989. Certainly didn't accumulate as much of the footy or win as many clearances but in terms offensive power, Ablett was well worth 5-6 goals a game.

I don't think Gary Malarkey has been mentioned, he was playing when I was very young and Dad thought he was our best FB until Scarlett and perhaps Lonergan came along... Would he also fit this category?

Don't want to spoil this for people, but Ablett Snr was for most of his career a poor defensive player and not particularly team oriented.
No one mentioning the bravest player Iv'e seen, (along with Selwood) Brenton Sanderson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back