geelong's best finals side

Remove this Banner Ad

jmain14

Club Legend
May 20, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
just thought I'd get your boys input as to who you think will be playing for the cats come finals time. I know its hard to tell as you don't know who will be available at the time with injuries and suspensions, but I guess all you can go on and hope for is that we have our full list to choose from (minus kell and enright). which players will miss?? will koula, byrnesy, tenace, d johnson and playfair hold their spots??

one of the most admirable things geelong have done this year is the way in which the younger players have been rotated. this may sound stupid, especially after the blinder he played yesterday, but I was hoping jimmy bartel went up (to the tribunal) for that punch against the st kilda player last week, and got a couple of weeks. just thought that it would of freshened him right up - something I reckon moloney will reap the benefits of as it is a bloody long season after all.

the obvious inclusions are moloney and sando. again, going on all players being available, that takes 2 from the abovementioned 5 players. would be great to see tenace and playfair hold their spots on the basis that the club could really benefit long term by playing them. if you had asked me before yesterday's game about koula's chances of retaining his position the answer would have been a no but I guess you'd have to consider him on his latest performances.

for mine, I would love to see mack and haynes back but also realise that 8 doesn't go into a 6 man forward line. however, I still think the committee have one more trick up their sleeve and mack will play finals. as much as I hate to say it I think the likes of timmy callan, rooke and chambers may struggle. it looks as though jimmy rahilly and spriggsy have run their race also.

any thoughts...

that's a tough one to pick....definately looks almost certian that my fav spriggzy is gone and rahilly so they would most likley be out finals coz watching spriggzy on the weekend it was pretty much disgraceful. I think johnno will be in there for sure, koula and byrnesy are high chances, coz they have been good in recent weeks except for byrnesy yesterday but thats only one game. Not too sure about Tenace he could get a go coz i know bomber seems to think highly of him, he has proven he is a good player. Not too sure on who else would get a shot in the finals though. Coz we have a few coming back so thats going to cut off a few of the young boys chances at playing, as for the players who will definately be playing i would say that's pretty obvious! anywayz good question!!!

This would be my starting 22+ emg

* = Players that may change depending on opposition

B:Sando -- Scarlo -- Hunt
HB: Milburn -- Harley -- Wojinski
C: Ablett -- Corey -- Koula*
HF: Haynes -- Graham -- Chappy
F: S.Johnson -- Mooney -- Kingsley
R: King -- Bartel -- Ling
INT:Gardiner* -- Ricco -- Callan -- Playfair*
EMG: D.Johnson* -- Bynes -- Rooke*

D.Johnson would come in for Koula if we needed an Extra Tagge
Rooke Would come in for playfair if they had a smaller forward line (eg: Westcoast)
Gardiner may be in or out depends on the teams defence.

Playfair gives us some versatillaty because he can play all around the ground
Rooke and Johnson give us some depth in defence.
and Koula adds a little penetration into the forward line.

Why Mooney at full forward? hasnt played there all year and has proven he plays much better up the field.

id have a team something like this...

Sanderson Scarlett Milburn
Mooney Harley Hunt
Woja Corey Moloney
Johnson Graham Ablett
Chapman Kingsley Gardiner

King Ling Bartel

Ricco Haynes Callan Koula... bench could be a number of players.

nananana catman said:
Why Mooney at full forward? hasnt played there all year and has proven he plays much better up the field.
Ive got him there to stretch the opp defense, not many teams have 3 tall and 1 tallish defender that would be able to handle our forwards. this would also alow kingsley to play up the ground in a tarrant type way.

rizzo said:
Ive got him there to stretch the opp defense, not many teams have 3 tall and 1 tallish defender that would be able to handle our forwards. this would also alow kingsley to play up the ground in a tarrant type way.
Hes not going to stretch them if he cant get his hands on the ball and kick goals. Its not his best position.

He doesnt need to get his hands on it to give to the team. Because if the ball is hit to grond the likes of chappy and Steve J come into play. he also is hard at the ball and is able to bust packs open. He has good defencive pressure ( something kingsley IMO doesnt have.) Mooney has looked good on the lead when he has been down in attack and i think he would slot in very nicley. :)

IF the time comes he can be used in defence as a third tall, or he could even do the rucking. i just think that he cant start in the ruck due to king. Having a third tall in defence is useless generally because most teams dont have 3 key tall players. He is also to good ATM to be sitting on the bench. Therefore put him in the forward line where he will pick up the 3rd or 4th best defender.
Eg:
Graham - Best defender
Kingsley - 2nd Best
Mooney 3rd best
SJ - 4th
Chappy - 5th
Haynes 6th

To me that looks like a combo that can win us alot of games because Haynes Chappy and SJ are better then a 4th, 5th and 6th best defender

rizzo said:
He doesnt need to get his hands on it to give to the team. Because if the ball is hit to grond the likes of chappy and Steve J come into play. he also is hard at the ball and is able to bust packs open. He has good defencive pressure ( something kingsley IMO doesnt have.) Mooney has looked good on the lead when he has been down in attack and i think he would slot in very nicley. :)

IF the time comes he can be used in defence as a third tall, or he could even do the rucking. i just think that he cant start in the ruck due to king. Having a third tall in defence is useless generally because most teams dont have 3 key tall players. He is also to good ATM to be sitting on the bench. Therefore put him in the forward line where he will pick up the 3rd or 4th best defender.
Eg:
Graham - Best defender
Kingsley - 2nd Best
Mooney 3rd best
SJ - 4th
Chappy - 5th
Haynes 6th

To me that looks like a combo that can win us alot of games because Haynes Chappy and SJ are better then a 4th, 5th and 6th best defender

He seems to get really dejected playing forward, and i think Haynes would be as good if not better option in the forward line. Im still surprised he hasnt been able to get back in the side. The advantage of him in the backline is hes mobile for a big man, and is good 3rd man up.

mine would be:
Graham - best
Kent - 2nd
Johnson - 3rd
Haynes-4th
Chappy and Ablett making the 6

No doubts that his best football is as a mobile or floating 3rd tall, but most teams dont have 3 tall forwards that to warrant mooney to play down there. Agree that he does look dejected when down there and haynes is probably his equal up forward. For me its still moons at fullforward taking a 3rd best defender.

rizzo said:
No doubts that his best football is as a mobile or floating 3rd tall, but most teams dont have 3 tall forwards that to warrant mooney to play down there. Agree that he does look dejected when down there and haynes is probably his equal up forward. For me its still moons at fullforward taking a 3rd best defender.
If you think Haynes is equal why not play him forward and mooney up the ground. I know you like Mooney a lot, but hes not helping the team as much up forward as he is up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nananana catman said:
If you think Haynes is equal why not play him forward and mooney up the ground. I know you like Mooney a lot, but hes not helping the team as much up forward as he is up the ground.
No point playing him there if he has no one to play on.

Daniel Haynes is a handy player not in the side at the moment. That type of situation will only keep Geelong players hungry for the win and keep the competitive level for spots in the side healthy.

mike2j7 said:
Daniel Haynes is a handy player not in the side at the moment. That type of situation will only keep Geelong players hungry for the win and keep the competitive level for spots in the side healthy.

Gee I dunno, I don't even recall Daniel Haynes playing a game for us this year yet so musn't be that good ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back