geelongs contested ball woes

Remove this Banner Ad

We tackled poorly as evidenced by the fact that when there was a scrum in our forward half they emerged with the ball too often. Our chaps were in there trying to get the ball but eventually they cleared it - happened a lot in the last quarter too.

The mix of personnel, tactics, game plan etc are indeed all relevant, but so is the attitude of the individual / playing group on any given day, and how willing they are to 'crack in'.

As Kingy pointed out in the link above, we're just not tough enough, and need to get back to getting our hands dirty (working harder) rather than sitting back and waiting for Danger to do it all.

The problem is Dangerfield isn't doing it either, and doesn't look like he's capable anymore.

People really need to stop excusing the stars. They're just as much to blame.

Hawks played tough football. Down and dirty. Not our go.

I feel dirty for giving the scum any form of praise but they worked hard and wanted it more than we did.

I had to cop s**t from the missus cause her dad was a huge hawks fan and her uncle is too. So i cop it when they beat us. I’d rather lose to lolnorf, it would be less shameful than losing to the poo and wee filth.

Yep. 100%. They absolutely did.

The problem is Dangerfield isn't doing it either, and doesn't look like he's capable anymore.

People really need to stop excusing the stars. They're just as much to blame.

Agreed..... I think in this instance they used Danger's name just because he comes to mind.

Their implication was that we can't just keep sitting back waiting for one of our teammates (ie Danger) to go get it for us.

Like Kingy said 'we're just not tough enough and we need to start getting our hands dirty again'.

Hawthorn were the worst(?) contested team coming into the game too, so to get torched by them like that is a bit of a wake up call.

Yes, bottom of the ladder in clearances, all . . . stoppages and center clearances and also bottom last in contested possessions.

It illustrates they are a lot better than what most give them credit for. They start playing with that kind of attack at the footy and they are back playing finals pretty soon.
Certainly have some promising youth as we saw with Reeves, Newcombe, Jiath, Lewis and Ward.

Hawthorn were the worst(?) contested team coming into the game too, so to get torched by them like that is a bit of a wake up call.
I think it was 3rd (us) vs 17th (them).

Yes.

Scoring shots this season:

R1 - Geelong 38, Essendon 17 = won by 66
R2 - Geelong 27, Sydney 22 = lost by 30
R3 - Geelong 24, Collingwood 26 = won by 13
R4 - Geelong 25, Brisbane 15 = won by 10
R5 - Geelong 25, Hawthorn 22 = lost by 12

We had 8 more scoring shots in our two losses but lost by a combined 42 points.

10 more scoring shots than Brisbane but didn't have the game won until the dying minutes.

It's a real issue.
how many of those shots were 50M out or from tight angles compared to the opposition having direct shots infront of goal??

alot of it comes down to the quality ball movement further up field in regards to missed shots at goal.

Yes, bottom of the ladder in clearances, all . . . stoppages and center clearances and also bottom last in contested possessions.

It illustrates they are a lot better than what most give them credit for. They start playing with that kind of attack at the footy and they are back playing finals pretty soon.
Certainly have some promising youth as we saw with Reeves, Newcombe, Jiath, Lewis and Ward.
they will probably dip a bit further before they rise up again with players like mitchel gunston bruest shiels sicily doing a large grunt of the workload who will retire or drop off

they will probably dip a bit further before they rise up again with players like mitchel gunston bruest shiels sicily doing a large grunt of the workload who will retire or drop off

Possibly but Mitchell is younger than Guthrie (28) and Sicily is 27.

They also had a total of ten players with under 50 games match experience and one other player who just played game number 52.
You compare that to the team they beat who had eight players aged 30+ and just four players with 50 games match experience.

Furthermore, one of their most promising youngsters in Will Day was missing from their best 22. They lost their future ruck in the first quarter and have Wingard to return in the coming weeks.

What's ironical for Geelong, we have a big bunch of 30+ yr old's to return to the best 22 which gives us absolutely nothing to look forward to in the coming years. Rohan, Ceglar, Higgins and Menegola.

CP has always been a bellwether for us. We have been strong over the years in this area and when we lose inevitably it corresponds to a poor CP showing.

It would be great to get a more granular breakdown of which type of CPs we are falling down.
See its the contested ball where we are struggling. Not our defenders being caught out on turnovers.

Last edited:
Possibly but Mitchell is younger than Guthrie (28) and Sicily is 27.

They also had a total of ten players with under 50 games match experience and one other player who just played game number 52.
You compare that to the team they beat who had eight players aged 30+ and just four players with 50 games match experience.

Furthermore, one of their most promising youngsters in Will Day was missing from their best 22. They lost their future ruck in the first quarter and have Wingard to return in the coming weeks.

What's ironical for Geelong, we have a big bunch of 30+ yr old's to return to the best 22 which gives us absolutely nothing to look forward to in the coming years. Rohan, Ceglar, Higgins and Menegola.
will day is a gun, wouldnt mind throwing some bucks at him to come across to geelong. always loved his footy.

not going around in a circle again with your whole post tbh, but i will add that i think we do have a few good kids in the VFL who will get their opportunity at some point and hopefully they perform well enough to keep it.

the future might not look as glum as you believe if some cards fall the right way with the 4 or so reserve players coming on and any incoming trades or free agency.

it is a wait and see proposition and could go a few different pathways. I am not making any early calls on it yet and just more interested in seeing how the next few months unfold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back