Geelong's dominance over the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our performance against the Dogs at Etihad was our best all round performance of the year I reckon.

It is actually not a bad template to beat any of the three teams left. We were absolutely ferocious that night in causing turnovers.
They had a full side that game correct?

9 years is a long time.

This is the head to head between the Cats and Bulldogs from 2008 to 2016:

Geelong - 13
Western Bulldogs - 1

Both teams have had their up and downs over that time, yet Geelong continue to put the Bulldogs away.

Why is that?

Because 2015 is the only year where the Bulldogs could argue that they were better than us over that time (I'd argue that it's debatable)? The Bulldogs were outstanding in 2008-09 (and we were better), they were making up the numbers in the top four in a 'West Coast in 2011' kind of way in 2010 and they were nowhere near the top eight in 2011-14 (where we continued to be a top four team almost throughout that time).

Beyond that, in recent times, I don't think they've really had the tall defenders to stifle our inside 50 entries, nor the crumbing goalkickers to hurt us. They can beat us at the contested ball, but they'd need Stringer to have a day out against us and they'd need someone to blanket Hawkins.

Personally, I don't think the Dogs will beat GWS.

If there is one thing this season has taught us - and is continuing to teach us on an almost weekly basis - is that any of remaining four teams CAN win the premiership. From about 5 weeks out from the finals onwards, there have been 'upsets' every single week. I can see Geelong beating Sydney, I can see Sydney beating Geelong. I can see GWS being too good for the Dogs, but based on the last fortnight I can see the Dogs outrunning them too. I don't see any guarantees right at this point in time, the season is simply far too open for that.

If there is one thing this season has taught us - and is continuing to teach us on an almost weekly basis - is that any of remaining four teams CAN win the premiership. From about 5 weeks out from the finals onwards, there have been 'upsets' every single week. I can see Geelong beating Sydney, I can see Sydney beating Geelong. I can see GWS being too good for the Dogs, but based on the last fortnight I can see the Dogs outrunning them too. I don't see any guarantees right at this point in time, the season is simply far too open for that.

Agreed. And being the flavor of the month 'premiership favourite' is a pretty poisoned chalice. How will GWS respond this week, after a fortnight of hearing that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread? I think Geelong showed a fair bit of stage fright in the Qualifying Final. Thankfully, the Cats were (just) good enough to win anyway. Hopefully that's our worst performance of the finals.

Dogs can't win the Premiership. GWS will flog them. I'm ok saying that.

Agree. Dogs won't be able to contain Cameron, Patton and Lobb - few sides can.

They did well against Kennedy and Darling in the elimination final because the Dogs smashed them in the middle and forced the Eagles into sloppy inside-50 entries.

GWS' midfield will at worst break even and likely win against the Dogs' midfield ergo fast entries and plenty of one on one chances for the tall forwards.

Funnily enough with all of Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson down back we are better placed to beat them than virtually anyone else... but that's hopefully a conversation for next week.

I honestly cant see the Dogs beating GWS.

Just listening to a few of the media interviews the last 4 days they are still living in the glory of last Friday, also heard a Bulldogs player saying "You never know" rather than "If we play our best we will win"

Also Bulldogs form is getting caught up a little in the Hawks win, I don't think media really have said how far off the boil and tired the Hawks were on Friday.

If they win, like GWS and Sydney, they are going to be a lot tougher to beat then at any time this year.

yeah, I know this, so don't be so patronising. I'm entitled to believe what I want without a lecture from you on the bleeding obvious.

Don't agree the Doggies can't match it with GWS-they are the one team I think can run with them out of the remaining teams (at Spotless.)
Can't pick the winner of the flag yet-its as open as I can recall and anyone can beat anyone and can't imagine any result this weekend will surprise me.

Cats can't win the Premiership and The Bullies will beat GWS. The Bullies are playing the best footy of the finals and the best footy I've seen since Geelong back in 2007, they'll be the first team ever to win the flag from outside the 4 with the modern finals system in place. Last time they played us they were routed by injuries as this quote -
'Prior to the dramatic events last Saturday night at Etihad Stadium, the Western Bulldogs were already undermanned.

Now, against the Cats at Simonds Stadium to open round 19, the Dogs will not only have to bounce back from a game they were expected to win but again reshuffle a 22 missing key personnel.

Enough misfortune had already fallen upon the Whitten Oval in round three when much-loved captain Bob Murphy tore his anterior cruciate ligament to miss the rest of the 2016 season – but things took a further turn for the worse last week under the roof.'

from this article,
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-07-27/predicted-22-western-bulldogs
demonstrates.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Dogs won't be able to contain Cameron, Patton and Lobb - few sides can.

They did well against Kennedy and Darling in the elimination final because the Dogs smashed them in the middle and forced the Eagles into sloppy inside-50 entries.

GWS' midfield will at worst break even and likely win against the Dogs' midfield ergo fast entries and plenty of one on one chances for the tall forwards.

Funnily enough with all of Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson down back we are better placed to beat them than virtually anyone else... but that's hopefully a conversation for next week.
Dogs will win:
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Contested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Effective Disposals Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 5th in One Percenters Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Inside 50s Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Contested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Clearances Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 3rd in least Opponent One Percenters Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd in Team to Opponent Inside 50s Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Contested Possessions Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Uncontested Possessions Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Effective Disposals Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Clearances Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Team to Opponent One Percenters Per Game Diff.

Dogs will win:
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Contested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Effective Disposals Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 5th in One Percenters Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Inside 50s Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Contested Possessions Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in least Opponent Clearances Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 3rd in least Opponent One Percenters Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd in Team to Opponent Inside 50s Per Game Diff.

dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Contested Possessions Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Uncontested Possessions Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Effective Disposals Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 1st in Team to Opponent Clearances Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Team to Opponent One Percenters Per Game Diff.

And the 2 biggies are
- the one bolded above, and
- 12th for points per game.

They can't score.

Cats can't win the Premiership and The Bullies will beat GWS. The Bullies are playing the best footy of the finals and the best footy I've seen since Geelong back in 2007, they'll be the first team ever to win the flag from outside the 8 with the modern finals system in place. Last time they played us they were routed by injuries as this quote -
'Prior to the dramatic events last Saturday night at Etihad Stadium, the Western Bulldogs were already undermanned.

Now, against the Cats at Simonds Stadium to open round 19, the Dogs will not only have to bounce back from a game they were expected to win but again reshuffle a 22 missing key personnel.

Enough misfortune had already fallen upon the Whitten Oval in round three when much-loved captain Bob Murphy tore his anterior cruciate ligament to miss the rest of the 2016 season – but things took a further turn for the worse last week under the roof.'

from this article,
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-07-27/predicted-22-western-bulldogs
demonstrates.
*heads to TAB to put house on GWS*

They can't score.
They've had a combined 56 scoring shots and scored 99 and 107 points respectively in their last 2 games which happened to be high intensity finals. Let's also remember they scored 4 goals more than we could against Hawthorn....But yeah they can't score.:rolleyes:

They've had a combined 56 scoring shots and scored 99 and 107 points respectively in their last 2 games which happened to be high intensity finals. Let's also remember they scored 4 goals more than we could against Hawthorn....But yeah they can't score.:rolleyes:

If you're going to spread your trolling outside the reservation, you need a new, more appropriate avatar in order to warn off unsuspecting readers

upload_2016-9-21_7-47-38.png

Cats can't win the Premiership and The Bullies will beat GWS. The Bullies are playing the best footy of the finals and the best footy I've seen since Geelong back in 2007, they'll be the first team ever to win the flag from outside the 8 with the modern finals
Doubt that but even if they did make the Grand Final it would be a good opportunity to lol at Norf as they failed to do that 3 years in a row.
Is this Jeff Kennett?
Yes :p

If you're going to spread your trolling outside the reservation, you need a new, more appropriate avatar in order to warn off unsuspecting readers

View attachment 291086
TO refer to the original Ghostbusters....

Light em up boys BUT DONT cross the streams and get him back in there!

Go Catters

Our performance against the Dogs at Etihad was our best all round performance of the year I reckon.

It is actually not a bad template to beat any of the three teams left. We were absolutely ferocious that night in causing turnovers.
It absolutely was, everything went right for you guys that night such as nailing a large percentage of low probability shots at goal and we kept on hitting the post early on/were well down on intensity and Bevo didn't bother tagging anyone, though I'd guess we have a stronger team in place at the moment than back then.

Yeah you guys have owned us for years, if ever was the time we were to beat you guys it was last year yet we screwed that one up. If we were to roll the Giants, then I'd definitely prefer to play Sydney as we match up better on them and our style of play is similar imo.

Going by how the finals have panned out, it seems the best defensive/contested footy teams are the ones at the pointy end. Outside teams like Adelaide and Hawthorn were rolled.

Anyways, good luck guys

Because 2015 is the only year where the Bulldogs could argue that they were better than us over that time (I'd argue that it's debatable)? The Bulldogs were outstanding in 2008-09 (and we were better), they were making up the numbers in the top four in a 'West Coast in 2011' kind of way in 2010 and they were nowhere near the top eight in 2011-14 (where we continued to be a top four team almost throughout that time).

Beyond that, in recent times, I don't think they've really had the tall defenders to stifle our inside 50 entries, nor the crumbing goalkickers to hurt us. They can beat us at the contested ball, but they'd need Stringer to have a day out against us and they'd need someone to blanket Hawkins.
Yep, would agree with all of that

We also have regularly struggled to deal with the aerial dominance of your defence over the years too, whether it be Scarlett and Harley back in 08-09 or guys like Taylor and Henderson now, if we were to play you guys next week, we would have to keep one of Taylor or Henderson honest and someone has to bring it to ground/outmark them at every opportunity whenever we were this go I50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back