Geelong's dominance over the Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you honestly thought watching their respective performances compared with ours that we would have reversed our apparent 2-man team issues to get up to beat them late last year?
'

Enough with your negativity about the Cats.

Makes me wonder why you go for Geelong, if you think we are so hopeless.

What, do you expect the flag every year?

That is not my logic. My argument was the sheer manner in which they successively dealt with each team they faced..it was ruthless, desperate, irresistible footy that not even the more accomplished , efficient, experienced Swans could deal with. It would not have mattered who they played.
I can accept that we will never know, but we did not deserve to find out either.

Why don't you buy Bulldogs' membership instead of Geelong membership this year, if you admire the Bullies so much?

The Bulldogs only beat the Swans in the last quarter of the GF.

'

Enough with your negativity about the Cats.

Makes me wonder why you go for Geelong, if you think we are so hopeless.

What, do you expect the flag every year?
Very funny.
I have no expectations or hope for a flag every year, far from it.
I am referring only to our finals performances of 2016, and comparing that with the Dogs.
Think you should read posts more widely before committing your fingers to type.
We demonstrated an unhealthy reliance on 2 players in that Prelim, like that or not.
Of course, things may have been very different if we'd got to play the Dogs in September, "because we always beat them", but I am not so sure. That is all.

Why don't you buy Bulldogs' membership instead of Geelong membership this year, if you admire the Bullies so much?

Because I have been a Geelong member since I was 7, some 53 years, so I think it's not necessary to buy into this, but you seem genuine.
Let me assure, I have for a long time thought the Doggies were a poor man's Geelong, but that might have changed, and it will change again.
Let them bask in their glory.
I have no bitterness towards them, and will be thrilled if we again beat them.
September form, however, has caused these comments of mine.

Very funny.
I have no expectations or hope for a flag every year, far from it.
I am referring only to our finals performances of 2016, and comparing that with the Dogs.
Think you should read posts more widely before committing your fingers to type.
We demonstrated an unhealthy reliance on 2 players in that Prelim, like that or not.
Of course, things may have been very different if we'd got to play the Dogs in September, "because we always beat them", but I am not so sure. That is all.

We relied on two midfielders all year. Guess what, we made a preliminary final, and if not for a bad first half against Sydney in the PF, we could have gone all the way.

Now, granted we need more midfielders to step up. Hopefully, Cockatoo will get played more often, Duncan gets back to top form and GHS comes on, and then maybe something will happen to relieve Danger and Selwood.

Because I have been a Geelong member since I was 7, some 53 years, so I think it's not necessary to buy into this, but you seem genuine.
Let me assure, I have for a long time thought the Doggies were a poor man's Geelong, but that might have changed, and it will change again.

No, you mean form September 2016.

We beat the Bulldogs in finals 1976, 1992 (twice in +60 point wins), 1994, 1995, 2008 and 2009. I would say that is excellent form we have against them in September.

We beat the Bulldogs in finals 1976, 1992 (twice in +60 point wins), 1994, 1995, 2008 and 2009. I would say that is excellent form we have against them in September.
Yes, I totally mean Sep 16.Again, that is all these points were about.

We relied on two midfielders all year. Guess what, we made a preliminary final, and if not for a bad first half against Sydney in the PF, we could have gone all the way.

Now, granted we need more midfielders to step up. Hopefully, Cockatoo will get played more often, Duncan gets back to top form and GHS comes on, and then maybe something will happen to relieve Danger and Selwood.
We are in agreement, as my posts all year would attest to.

Even though they accounted for Hawks way more effectively than we did, and beat our bogey side?
I can not see what you base that on other than previous results.
Cold hard September facts = we get beaten by the team we had previously "owned", as did Hawks.
Vdubs, if there is anything that rings true, t is that you can't say because Geelong and hawthorn had a close win that it means we performed poorly. How many close games over the past decade have we had with hawthorn?? How many times even when they where clearly not as good did we only scrape past them?? Even to say in general because you had a close win the week before in a final that you aren't in good form. A win in finals is a win in finals, besides 2011 under Scott, all of 07-10 we had massive hiccups and close scares in our finals campaigns including being a free kick away from losing the 07 prelim in the dying seconds, while port Adelaide won by 70 points their prelim. To say the score line the week before is the king for determining next week is not how it works. We also know that certain teams just play better against others. We played better against the Bulldogs

All we have to go by is our home away record against them, and we troubled them more than any other side. I'm quite sure we where the only side to play them twice and beat them convincingly both times by comfortable margins.

To say we wouldn't have been a massive chance is not looking at the reality of our season. Fact is the only side who had is covered was Sydney in the top 8, and it showed again in the finals, the rest we where more than capable of beating and had proven it.

Lol reminds me of when St Kilda were up and about in 2009/2010 and Vdubs would praise them nonstop. Which had everyone questioning him whether he was a Saints supporter at heart :straining:

Vdubs, if there is anything that rings true, t is that you can't say because Geelong and hawthorn had a close win that it means we performed poorly. How many close games over the past decade have we had with hawthorn?? How many times even when they where clearly not as good did we only scrape past them?? Even to say in general because you had a close win the week before in a final that you aren't in good form. A win in finals is a win in finals, besides 2011 under Scott, all of 07-10 we had massive hiccups and close scares in our finals campaigns including being a free kick away from losing the 07 prelim in the dying seconds, while port Adelaide won by 70 points their prelim. To say the score line the week before is the king for determining next week is not how it works. We also know that certain teams just play better against others. We played better against the Bulldogs

All we have to go by is our home away record against them, and we troubled them more than any other side. I'm quite sure we where the only side to play them twice and beat them convincingly both times by comfortable margins.

To say we wouldn't have been a massive chance is not looking at the reality of our season. Fact is the only side who had is covered was Sydney in the top 8, and it showed again in the finals, the rest we where more than capable of beating and had proven it.
Agreed - people forget the intensity that Hawthorn game was played under. It was a cracker, but it seems the will to downplay our achievements last year to suit a particular narrative is strong in many Cats supporters. Whether it is barely winning, lucky to win, devaluing the win based on Hawthorn's next performance, or our next performance, it all seems a bit irrational and unfair on the boys to me.

Lol reminds me of when St Kilda were up and about in 2009/2010 and Vdubs would praise them nonstop. Which had everyone questioning him whether he was a Saints supporter at heart :straining:

And we can't forget his love of North at the start of this year. He can't help but back a winner, I just hope that Geelong can regain his affection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to engage in rational talk with You on these as many people on here don't have that capability but I know you do.

Define what exactly you mean as a concern from 16 finals? The way I saw it personally was that hawthorn was always going to be a cracking tough game, they came off a weeks bye fresh and had won 3 premierships in a row, they are no easy beats regardless of what happened the week after, a lot more respect is due towards hawthorn, they are more than capable of turning it on at the MCG. I don't see this as a disservice or degration to us we just beat them, they are quality.

Sydney match I thought reflected the difference between the two sides when you factor in how our strengths and weaknesses matched up in terms of game style personnel and one being able to expose the others flaws and weaknesses. Is it really poor when the result reflects a realistic position? The exact same thing happened in the home away against them, it is just a reality of the gap between us and Sydney on a given day. Is it poor that a team who is better and has your measure beats you accordingly? I would say it's disappointing ovviously and you need to grow and learn from it and have serious discussions around what happened, but to say we underperformed or didn't turn up on the day may be not painting the truth to analyse from it.

And we can't forget his love of North at the start of this year. He can't help but back a winner, I just hope that Geelong can regain his affection.
If it's at all in relation to vdubs, credit given where credit is due. He is probably one of the rational and logical posters who can assess properly both ways without drama and definitely has Geelong on his heart and sleeves unlike some others in here who may as well go support another club

I think form from different generations is completely irrelevant when assessing our perspective chances in finals against a team in 2016

An undermanned Bullies had us under control at Simmons last year until the they lost the two players they could ill afford to lose - McCrae and Liberatore who had Selwood and Dangerfield neutralised.

An undermanned Bullies had us under control at Simmons last year until the they lost the two players they could ill afford to lose - McCrae and Liberatore who had Selwood and Dangerfield neutralised.
The myth rears it's head again...

Vdubs Well and truly a GFC man. Probably enough for two supporters actually.

Just smart enough to appreciate things outside the club as well.:D

Some weird s**t in this thread but THAT takes the cake.

Go Catters

Last edited:
I think form from different generations is completely irrelevant when assessing our perspective chances in finals against a team in 2016

We beat them twice in 2016 as well. No "different generation" there.

In fact, we have beaten them in most meetings in the last ten years.

Vdubs Well and truly a GFC man. Probably enough for two supporters actually.

Just smart enough to appreciate things outside the club as well.:D

Some weird s**t in this thread but THAT takes the cake.

Go Catters

Then why does he seem to appreciate every other club than his supposedly own club, Geelong, then?

Then why does he seem to appreciate every other club than his supposedly own club, Geelong, then?
Over his 9+ years and nearly 20k odd posts, id comfortably wager 97% of them demonstrate GFC support.

Fair body of work there.

Go Catters

Ron the Bear confirmed my supposition that had any team won a Flag having a 10 game losing sequence against a particular club. Indeed the '67 Tigers, who had a losing sequence of 6 against Collingwood is the next nearest club to carry such a losing sequence against another side yet be Premiers.

What is illuminating is that in the history of the Bulldogs in head to head versus Geelong, they are the only club among the original twelve who do not have all of Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon as their toughest opponents. Geelong, with a 100-55-2 record over the Dogs rank only behind the Pies (who have the most overwhelming winning record overall due to their ubiquitous power until the early '80s) as their toughest opponent.

That does mean that Geelong does have some genuine wood over the Dogs, you cannot fudge figures over 157 contests. Notwithstanding the Brad Johnson and Nathan Eagleton inspired efforts by the Doggies over Geelong at KP in the late 90's and early '00s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back