Prediction Geelong's fortunes for season 2019

Where will Geelong finish on the ladder in season 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

JLT 1 so really doesn't matter all that much, seems we still have a tendency to over handball and in particular look backwards for them.
WCE showed how to play, long and direct or quality switches to open players BY FOOT.
We do not have a run and gun team, we cannot play a handball game, yet we seem to always default to it.
Clark will put pressure on Tuohy for that half back runner role, Parfitt looks set for a big year and could very well be vital to our chances this year, likewise Sav and Henry, but for me the biggest indicator for improvement is intensity and intent. It's too often at 50%, 50% of the time.
We tighten that up, hunt the ball and the man with the ball, move it with direction and purpose, look to defend aggressively and show real determination and we'll go ok. We don't, and we won't.

Skill level is close to abysmal. it might just be a practice match, but the Cats are going to be pushing a barrel up hill all year unless something changes. hopefully the next JLT game will see some improvement. Very ordinary start.

No he doesn't. Far too much emphasis is placed on possession number these days due to dreamteam and supercoach. Rohan just needs to compete, apply physical pressure and provide and option up forward.

If every player on the ground picked up 20 disposals a game we'd be overusing the ball. It's more about efficiency.

We should gave kept kersten then

JLT 1 so really doesn't matter all that much, seems we still have a tendency to over handball and in particular look backwards for them.
WCE showed how to play, long and direct or quality switches to open players BY FOOT.
We do not have a run and gun team, we cannot play a handball game, yet we seem to always default to it.
Clark will put pressure on Tuohy for that half back runner role, Parfitt looks set for a big year and could very well be vital to our chances this year, likewise Sav and Henry, but for me the biggest indicator for improvement is intensity and intent. It's too often at 50%, 50% of the time.
We tighten that up, hunt the ball and the man with the ball, move it with direction and purpose, look to defend aggressively and show real determination and we'll go ok. We don't, and we won't.
I wouldn’t replace tuohy with clark. I would play both. Both provide run and excellent kicking. I would put kolo or hendo in the vfl instead. Or both. Or whoever provides the least run and is the worse kick. We need to drop the worst one, not try to fit them all in. It’s ridiculous. Scott needs to stop trying to fit everyone in and make the hard calls ffs. Its the only way if we are going to improve, by replacing good players with better ones.

I wouldn’t replace tuohy with clark. I would play both. Both provide run and excellent kicking. I would put kolo or hendo in the vfl instead. Or both. Or whoever provides the least run and is the worse kick. We need to drop the worst one, not try to fit them all in. It’s ridiculous. Scott needs to stop trying to fit everyone in and make the hard calls ffs. Its the only way if we are going to improve, by replacing good players with better ones.

Yep agree, problem for Scott is those down back are all favourites of him and the MC so they feel they MUST fit them in, instead of whats best for the team (self inflicted problem BTW).
IMO our backline should have only 2 of Hendo, Harry or Kolo in the team at any one stage, at most.
Blicavs and Stewart pick themselves, Tuohy and Bews likewise which only leaves 2 spots and that's not including guys like Henry, Clark or Guthrie (perhaps) as potential ins.
Personally I'd go with Harry or Hendo (both are superior 1 on 1 to Kolo, Harry the best but oldest) and Henry.

Just how much do you have to recruit for that style of play. Danger would get a game in anyside but I suspect he would not be the ideal goto guys for that style of play. And i found it interesting that Clark ..playing on instinct ..took off and gambled with offensive run... and found most players out of position.
If we want to play a more aggressive style we have to be less concerned with everyone getting back to prevent the opposition scoring, there has to be someone at home to take the ball when it get with a kick of goal. Our scoring was yet again than copybook 1 goal for 2 points.. is not a scoreboard ration that will win many games.

Agreed.

Can't believe that is the second person that I have seen has Clark replacing Tuohy.

The first one was a Bews fan and trolling but I think that post above was serious.

Drop a tall and play them both and let's actually get some run from the backline.

Add 2e , unleash Bews , let Stewart run ..maybe even find another ..Rohan has been mentioned but id prefer to find another . Brownless ?..going by last night I thought ZacG was back to a bit of his early form but he probably is not that type. His brother is but he seems to have lost all semblance of confidence. More offensive run from the BL will without any doubt give our forward more chances . It will cost some goals but so what. Im sick of trying to win with a 60-80 score.

I've never really been a Rohan fan but I can't remember him as being at all shank prone. Feels like you just included that to be part of your forced Murdoch comparison.

Ten disposals a match at an efficiency rating of 66% would suggest he shanks more then his fair share, think he was going at about 45% by foot last night according to the commentators.

Add 2e , unleash Bews , let Stewart run ..maybe even find another ..Rohan has been mentioned but id prefer to find another . Brownless ?..going by last night I thought ZacG was back to a bit of his early form but he probably is not that type. His brother is but he seems to have lost all semblance of confidence. More offensive run from the BL will without any doubt give our forward more chances . It will cost some goals but so what. Im sick of trying to win with a 60-80 score.
I thought in an interview with Duncan last week he hinted at a change in that direction,when said not in these exact words,we'd rather this season not to be the best backline the game but instead 3rd or 4th and be more attacking,to me that indicated not pressing back as hard,I saw no evidence of it last night I must admit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ten disposals a match at an efficiency rating of 66% would suggest he shanks more then his fair share, think he was going at about 45% by foot last night according to the commentators.
DE isn't something I pay too much attention to, it's a bit of a weird stat.

His kicking last night was definitely below the level I would have expected from him. Not a good showing by any means - but most of them it didn't look so much like shanks as just poor decisions.

I thought in an interview with Duncan last week he hinted at a change in that direction,when said not in these exact words,we'd rather this season not to be the best backline the game but instead 3rd or 4th and be more attacking,to me that indicated not pressing back as hard,I saw no evidence of it last night I must admit.

To be fair.. when something has been embedded for a long time and cs has been here for a generation of players.. that I have no doubt they will fall back to the one you love once you are under pressure. Its why I mention Clark and his instinctive run.. its not yet been indoctrinated out of him. It makes me think that maybe just changing the coach now will not just deliver a change in styles.. it would require some player turn over.

We went 13 and 9 last year.. it will not take much to go a bit better or a bit worse... so what does CS find more natural to do.. try to kick more goals..or does he look at the talent he has and try to bring other clubs back to a score they can win at. If thats our way forward I doubt we see a heap of running players streaming out of D

Just how much do you have to recruit for that style of play. Danger would get a game in anyside but I suspect he would not be the ideal goto guys for that style of play. And i found it interesting that Clark ..playing on instinct ..took off and gambled with offensive run... and found most players out of position.
If we want to play a more aggressive style we have to be less concerned with everyone getting back to prevent the opposition scoring, there has to be someone at home to take the ball when it get with a kick of goal. Our scoring was yet again than copybook 1 goal for 2 points.. is not a scoreboard ration that will win many games.

This has been the issue the last few years, start off with the intent to be more attacking and more offensive, get spooked by a loss or some easy goals the other way so become too defensive again.
Trying to be too smart and too cute with a team that lacks the talent to be able to pull off both at the same time (our 07-11 team did it perfectly, but it's unattainable for most others).
I still think an attacking style would suit us better, longer kicking to an open forwardline and back those guys in to win enough ball to kick a winning score, problem is finding that style and sticking to it, no matter what. We can't keep changing our systems week to week and expect us to be perfectly drilled and execute to a high efficiency.

Kolo all but booked a VFL spot last night,very average first up performance.
Yea right. Him and Guthrie are locks regardless of what they do.

I was bullish about our prospects this season before last night but nothing has changed. Our game plan is still the same and we're far too slow down back and move the ball even slower.

Listening to DKing ...

sustained success come from forward pressure goals.... I wonder if the 666 can change that a bit. Cleaner insertions mean that there is less requirements 2nd bits of the cherry from pressure. If Danger and others can get cleaner.. and hit targets then the pressure becomes just another way to get score rather such a dominant , must have.
It make me think guys that can kick..(like Clark?) streaming thru the middle will only become more valuable.. lead up forwards to hold the ball also come back into as there is space to lead into. Hawkins further up the ground?

Very happy with Clark and Constable .. think he must play in the guts and we keep edging out the Dangers and the Selwoods ( thank Mr King Ayres)

DE isn't something I pay too much attention to, it's a bit of a weird stat.

His kicking last night was definitely below the level I would have expected from him. Not a good showing by any means - but most of them it didn't look so much like shanks as just poor decisions.

I'd love to know how it is defined. If it was whether a kick or handpass found a target that's one thing (and seems logical). I've read that being caught holding the ball affects your DE which to me is ridiculous. Happy to be corrected though.

I'd love to know how it is defined. If it was whether a kick or handpass found a target that's one thing (and seems logical). I've read that being caught holding the ball affects your DE which to me is ridiculous. Happy to be corrected though.

I don't think there's anything about being caught holding the ball. But here's the definition of an efficient kick:

"A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-28/stats-glossary-every-stat-explained

The problem is that doesn't give any indication on how difficult the kick is. Therefore if a player goes for an easy long switch in defence and shanks it leading to a 50/50 contest they get credited with an effective kick. But a player 60m from goal who does a nice 30m pass that's to Hawkins' advantage in a congested forward line is defined as an ineffective kick unless Hawkins takes the contested mark or we win the crumb both of which are unlikely.

We have not had any continuity for years. Injuries and keeping duds in and around the bottom 8 players. Once we settle (hopefully), efficiency will go through the roof as players start to read whats coming to them. I think our extended success (s**t picks) and bad luck with injuries has more to do with this than the coaching. I blame coaching for our lack of skills, though.

What sort of midfield split are we expecting from Parfitt this year boys?
Seemed to start fwd again and kicked 3 goals? How is our centre square starting squad going to look R1?

The talls are shambolic but hopefully Sav stays heathy and his confidence improves with some multi goal games.
We can only hope because that forwardline is totally disfunctional without Hawkins and there's really no one else near elite.
On the other hand Constable and Clark did everything you'd want from them. They must play JLT2.

The intention of getting in Rohan, Kreuger and Jarvis was to bring in more aerial threat in the forward line which is desperately needed. Only Rohan can add immediate effect, I am not sure he adds much defensive pressure, he seems to be out of the play for a lot of the time.

I think goal scoring and forward aerial threat is one of our major issues, along with the lack of over-lap running from the defence.

Clark, Stewart and Tuohy lining up in the Best 18 will help the latter.

If SavRat isn't pulling his weight, you have to send Taylor or Henderson down there to play FF or CHF this season. Just maybe, Kreuger may add some games in the back end of the year. I'm hoping GAJ can hit 30 majors this year at least. He could very well extend his career if he can hit +40.

Having blokes like Atkins, Dahlhaus and even Miers should add some more defensive pressure in the forward half.

Back