Geelong's media department

Does Dangerfield put his media profile ahead of his team

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield thrives on the attention and pressure. Took his game to a new level in his last year at the Crows. Then up again when he got to the Cats. I don't think there's a single thing he could do in the media or the media could do to him to affect his game.

The only concern is whether his team mates think he's putting himself ahead of the team. I don't think he is but sometimes these things can start small and snowball.

July is often the nothing month where stories invent themselves before the run in to finals clicks, especially for teams that are sitting pretty in the top 4. I expect he'll reign in the media work over the next month.

But this thread is giving Geelong an excuse. If we lose, will the reason be "Geelong were distracted by Dangerfield's antics" rather than "Adelaide were just better"?
^^see what I mean^^ lol.

All teams have distractions and obstacles.. but for some reason Geelong and their supporters always think THEIR circumstances are different to everyone else's and deserve special treatment/consideration.

Like when tom Hawkins got rubbed out for the jumper punch. The week when the afl announced the crack down Scott said "great stuff from the afl, cut and dry now, if you jumper punch you're an idiot".

Then a Geelong player does it and it's different. He was on there claiming it didn't count cos it was to the neck not the chin (debatable) talking bout Hawkins character, sayin he would hate to see a player miss a final for that and that's was his big fear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danger has seemed to be more in the spotlight since arriving at Geelong, i can't be entirely certain though as i didn't live in adelaide while he was there.

Does seem like the bloke who has tickets on himself though, which is why i can't stand him anymore. It's all about him. And yes i'm going to enrage Geelong fans or people who like the way he plays. But he is very self absorbed. His just a modern and smarter Warrick Capper

Good for the game on & off the field IMHO.

Hilarious that Crows fans would pot the best player in the game for having some fun and enjoying his football/life.

Last year Taylor Walker was involved in a Twitter spat with Nick Kyrgios and when Kyrgios wrote he didn't know who Walker was, Walker resorted to posting his highlight reel from the AFL website.

Now *that's* embarrassing.

I don't know, I'll pass it over from my car window.

Yeah it distract them. You lost.

Why so salty even after the Crows fell over the line vs Geelong?

Don't care about Dangerfield really. That's not to say that I'm not happy to see the back of him, Never liked him when he played for us so glad he's another teams problem now. It's always been about him, he's an egomaniac.

Walks around like he's packing suitcase under each arm. Loves the limelight. I'm just glad he can't kick to save his life or he really would be one of the greats. As it is he's a tough contested , hard in and under type that wastes it, and brings along a lot of unwanted attention .. as Scott mentioned Monday night, something you would rather not deal with.

I love this theory, which is generally the going story with most non-Geelong posters. You don't know him, I don't know him and 99% of the posters have never even had a conversation with him let alone spent enough time to really know what he thinks. Keep making up stories though because it brings great entertainment to the sane people of the football world.

Yeah I hope you guys make it to the grand final and we get to smash yas then. Will be good to hear all the excuses, there's always a rider when Geelong talk.

The last time Adelaide beat Geelong outside Adelaide was in 2003, so lol cool story bro.

Compare this side to your recent premiership champions.

Seem to remember Geelong being a rather closed shop back in those days. Is this correct or was there as much exposure back with that side?

Did you not follow football during the 07-10 period? Tom Harley, Bomber & Ling were all media whores.

Why so salty even after the Crows fell over the line vs Geelong?

I love this theory, which is generally the going story with most non-Geelong posters. You don't know him, I don't know him and 99% of the posters have never even had a conversation with him let alone spent enough time to really know what he thinks. Keep making up stories though because it brings great entertainment to the sane people of the football world.

The last time Adelaide beat Geelong outside Adelaide was in 2003, so lol cool story bro.

Did you not follow football during the 07-10 period? Tom Harley, Bomber & Ling were all media whores.
Lol salty. Crap on your image. It doesn't matter.

I can only assume Red Mist doesn't have a job OR, if he/she does, they think about their job at all times, never allowing themselves to joke with friends or go out or eat or use the toilet. As long as players fulfill their training requirements and play to the best of their ability, who gives a toss what they do for fun off-field? Saying any of that mentioned in the OP would 'distract' someone from their job is to totally underestimate a human's ability to multitask or to advertise your own inability.

I've said before that I can absolutely understand people getting annoyed because Dangerfield is Mr. Everywhere at the moment but the ways they're trying to bend reality to make it seem as if he's not actually that good at football, or he's soft, or he's distracted... why even watch football if you can't appreciate a great? I watched Luke Hodge take a flag away from Geelong and have bemoaned him belting blokes but I'd never dream of conjuring reasons to imply he's not as great as he is at the game. It's asinine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tall poppy syndrome is an absolute blight on the Australian public, is staggering how insecure people are about he way successful people conduct themselves, as if they have some sort of responsibility to be endlessly humble and thankful to the rest of the population for the privilege we allow them of performing for us.

Eddie McGuire alone coming back won't save the footy show, the biggest problem with the footy show is that the panel of players are media trained monkeys, paralysed with fear of doing anything remotely outrageous because if they do, there'll be a foxfooty article, an afl.com.au article and 1000 comments on Facebook from people like this guy complaining that they shouldn't be having fun and focusing on footy 24/7 like robots.

Good on Dangerfield for at least being himself in spite of the reaction he gets, I don't think there's any chance of him doing stand up post career, but at least he seems to be having fun. At the end of the day the players don't have to answer to anyone but themselves and their coaches, and as long as he continues to play well why would they have an issue with it.

This one way rivalry on Big Footy has just reached peak stupid.
It's not rivalry on my part , it's hatred.

Adelaide fans aren't the only ones who are sick and tired of Selwood and now Dangerfield ducking and crying to the umps. And the media creaming their pants over them afterwards is what is infuriating most impartial parties.

Geelong and their fans live in a world where they can do no wrong.. that's not the real world.

"Mission accomplished".

It's not rivalry on my part , it's hatred.

Adelaide fans aren't the only ones who are sick and tired of Selwood and now Dangerfield ducking and crying to the umps. And the media creaming their pants over them afterwards is what is infuriating most impartial parties.

Geelong and their fans live in a world where they can do no wrong.. that's not the real world.

"Mission accomplished".
Ok so why do our players get suspended for things other teams don't?

Oh I did laugh when Dangerfield dressed up last week. With the crutches, moon boot, bandages it was hysterical. The reason it was funny was because in the game the previous week he got hurt during the game and he kept playing, even though he was very sore and looked like he was in pain. All the media and commentators talked about was how he was virtually a walking paraplegic (this is where the dress up humor is gold) and that surely he couldn't play football ever again but he did!

Oh, I did laugh. I would like to play a game of charades one day with Patrick because I think he would be a very funny guy and tell a lot of funny jokes.

Why is it whenever anyone suggests that Danger is a flog, someone says "we encourage players to have personalities, but then shoot them down when they show it"... no one ever encouraged floggitry.
No ones encouraging it, what is being defended is the idea that having fun in the spotlight is mutually exclusive to high performance.

The suggestion that him acting like a 'flog' during mid week interviews somehow impacts the way he or the team plays on the weekend is idiotic and deserves to be called out.

Back