King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
The general consensus amongst fanbases of both the Crows and Power is that they see a rivalry between their club and Geelong and in the eyes of many people from both fanbases, their rivalry with Geelong is their club's biggest rival aside from their local cross town rival.

It does feel to me as though both rivalries are mostly one way with Crows and Power fans seeing a rivalry between our club and theirs, while Cats fans don't tend to see the rivalry between our club and their clubs and such.

Geelong and Port Adelaide have squared off in five finals matches in the 25 seasons Port Adelaide have been in the AFL, that's an average of the two clubs meeting each other in finals once every five years which is an amazing frequency. Just to show how high this frequency is compare Geelong's finals history with both St Kilda and Sydney and realise the fact Geelong have bet both clubs in five finals in 125 years. The seeds are definitely there in terms of the Cats/Power rivalry but it needs the Power to beat the Cats in a preliminary final or a grand final for seeds to start to sprout.

Geelong and Adelaide have played two finals matches against each other with Adelaide winning both times, but I feel as though the biggest factor in this rivalry is Patrick Dangerfield rather than any past games between the two clubs. The heat was definitely there from both supporter bases in 2016 and 2017 but it mostly cooled off and fizzled out after 2017 from both Cats and Crows supporters. Geelong have always had one bogey fixture and that's whenever we've had to play Adelaide in South Australia at either Football Park or Adelaide Oval. I'm not sure why we've always struggled to beat the Crows in Adelaide and you can't put it down to South Australia not suiting our gamestyles, because we've never struggled with beating Port Adelaide in South Australia and as a matter of a fact, we have a positive win loss ratio against Port Adelaide in South Australia.

It'll be interesting to see how Geelong supporters see the Cats/Crows and Cats/Power rivalries as well as seeing which rivalry our fanbase sees as being the bigger rivalry out of the two.

Which rivalry do you think is the bigger rivalry out of the two?

Cats vs Crows?
or
Cats vs Power?

Can I vote for none?
I second this choice

There was maybe a little bit with a Port after the 2007 gf, and then with Adelaide in 2016

But I can't recall ever thinking there was a serious rivalry with either SA side, at least not too the extent we have with say Hawthorn

The general consensus amongst fanbases of both the Crows and Power is that they see a rivalry between their club and Geelong and in the eyes of many people from both fanbases, their rivalry with Geelong is their club's biggest rival aside from their local cross town rival.

It does feel to me as though both rivalries are mostly one way with Crows and Power fans seeing a rivalry between our club and theirs, while Cats fans don't tend to see the rivalry between our club and their clubs and such.

Geelong and Port Adelaide have squared off in five finals matches in the 25 seasons Port Adelaide have been in the AFL, that's an average of the two clubs meeting each other in finals once every five years which is an amazing frequency. Just to show how high this frequency is compare Geelong's finals history with both St Kilda and Sydney and realise the fact Geelong have bet both clubs in five finals in 125 years. The seeds are definitely there in terms of the Cats/Power rivalry but it needs the Power to beat the Cats in a preliminary final or a grand final for seeds to start to sprout.

Geelong and Adelaide have played two finals matches against each other with Adelaide winning both times, but I feel as though the biggest factor in this rivalry is Patrick Dangerfield rather than any past games between the two clubs. The heat was definitely there from both supporter bases in 2016 and 2017 but it mostly cooled off and fizzled out after 2017 from both Cats and Crows supporters. Geelong have always had one bogey fixture and that's whenever we've had to play Adelaide in South Australia at either Football Park or Adelaide Oval. I'm not sure why we've always struggled to beat the Crows in Adelaide and you can't put it down to South Australia not suiting our gamestyles, because we've never struggled with beating Port Adelaide in South Australia and as a matter of a fact, we have a positive win loss ratio against Port Adelaide in South Australia.

It'll be interesting to see how Geelong supporters see the Cats/Crows and Cats/Power rivalries as well as seeing which rivalry our fanbase sees as being the bigger rivalry out of the two.

Cats vs Crows?
or
Cats vs Power?

My vote is neither...

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong

Cats vs Crows?
or
Cats vs Power?
I'm voting for the crows, because the situation with the power is too lop-sided. We smashed them in 07 and they never really recovered. Understand why they might hate us but there's nothing going the other way. With the crows there's more history. We have the wood on them at KP, they on us in Adelaide. That final in 97 (the Colbert mark) still hurts. The Dangerfield scenario. Always found crows fans more irritating than power fans too. Just as one-eyed as each other, but more self-entitled. That said, of all our rivalries, it's a fair way down the list.

Wellsy35

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm voting for the crows, because the situation with the power is too lop-sided. We smashed them in 07 and they never really recovered. Understand why they might hate us but there's nothing going the other way. With the crows there's more history. We have the wood on them at KP, they on us in Adelaide. That final in 97 (the Colbert mark) still hurts. The Dangerfield scenario. Always found crows fans more irritating than power fans too. Just as one-eyed as each other, but more self-entitled. That said, of all our rivalries, it's a fair way down the list.
This, in a nutshell. Can't ever remember thinking of either team like that.

Hawthorn will always be our biggest rival, then daylight.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
tv-television-telly-entertainment-true_stories-honest-cwln2041_low.jpg

I don't feel the flame.

Crows is a more popular version of the Giants or Fremantle. They more a franchise than a club.

Port Adelaide is a Port city, Similar?... but other aspects are far different. They are an anachronistic organisation that still lives on the memory of being the big fish in the little pond.

The both are relevant with the comp but neither really inflame true emotion. I cant say once I have turned up at KP and there was a buzz that were were going tp play either. Maybe once , the Port game in 07 but that was a rarity.

Crows.. mainly Marty... got all blustery about PFD.

Port felt thy got one in Mots.

There is no rivalry IMO.

Its Hawks... maybe Tuggers.... the West of Geelong stuff does not register on those scales

GO CAtters

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Crows.. mainly Marty... got all blustery about PFD.

Port felt thy got one in Mots.

There is no rivalry IMO.

Its Hawks... maybe Tuggers.... the West of Geelong stuff does not register on those scales

GO CAtters

Marty who?

Who's Marty?

petrolium

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the only rivalry we have is that we take some obscure SA kid every year in the draft from under their noses 😜
Other than the Geelong region, we seem to have a very heavy bias towards SA. Does anyone know the reason for this?

I think the only rivalry we have is that we take some obscure SA kid every year in the draft from under their noses 😜
Other than the Geelong region, we seem to have a very heavy bias towards SA. Does anyone know the reason for this?
Would likely be driven by the club weighting the opinions of a specific south Australian talent scout or two above the weightings other clubs give those same voices

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
There was some heat to the games around 2007. But the grand final ended that. A few moments with the Crows but never a serious rivalry. Obviously the Hawks is the big one. But we’ve enjoyed some good battles with Saints, Freo, Pies and there is something with the Lions games that is bubbling away.
Even though they’ve dropped away I still always really want to beat the saints and Freo.
The Eagles and Swans have played and often beat us in some big games but haven’t felt that ever develop into a stepper rivalry.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
How can there be no rivalry? They're opposition teams in the same competition.

Crows and Power supporter bases both seem to have a large percentage which see Geelong being their biggest rival aside from their rivalry with one another.

I dont mind Port - a real team (not a franchise), coached by one of my favourite former cats players (who was also an assistant coach for us in 2007) and captained by one of my favourite non-geelong players. They've beaten us a few times recently in finals, but we only had ourselves to blame in those games. I can see why going the other way they dont like us (2007) but personally I was hoping they were going to go all the way last season once we got knocked out.
As for Adelaide, who are they again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back