Status
Not open for further replies.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Crows and Power supporter bases both seem to have a large percentage which see Geelong being their biggest rival aside from their rivalry with one another.
That's probably only because they were forced to choose and we come out on top because we've been so good for so long.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Crows.. mainly Marty... got all blustery about PFD.

Port felt thy got one in Mots.

There is no rivalry IMO.

Its Hawks... maybe Tuggers.... the West of Geelong stuff does not register on those scales

GO CAtters

I always have Collingwood at the top.

To me you have to have periods where both teams are legitimate contenders - so they meet in finals. Preferably a few Grand finals as well. On that basis Collingwood, Hawthorn, and Richmond have both Adelaide teams effortlessly covered.

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I always have Collingwood at the top.

To me you have to have periods where both teams are legitimate contenders - so they meet in finals. Preferably a few Grand finals as well. On that basis Collingwood, Hawthorn, and Richmond have both Adelaide teams effortlessly covered.

Collingwood?

I felt they played the same role that we did for the Tigers, hanging around finals without being good enough to get over the top (barring that one night where it magically aligned for them in 2010). It doesn't create much of a rivalry when one team's always beating the other - which is why I'd be surprised to see any Richmond fan say they have a rivalry with us.

The nature of the Cats-Hawks rivalry is different: the Curse wins might have always been in our favour, but the results were far from certain... and anyway, it all flipped around come the 2013 PF. That's why - even though it's lying dormant for now - the Hawks will ALWAYS be our #1 competitor.

For the record, I chose Port because I clicked before spotting the "none" option, but I wouldn't say we have much of a rivalry with either.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Marty McKinnon? The not-quite Patrick Dangerfield of the 90s.

I remember one of my brother's mates had a decent computer in the late 90's and one of the games was Aussie Rules 98 and for some reason, Martin McKinnon had superior skills to all other players. You always won just by getting him the ball as he would kick goals from 60+.

Still not sure why the makers of that game decided to give him the best attributes. Maybe Marty was in on it.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Collingwood?

I felt they played the same role that we did for the Tigers, hanging around finals without being good enough to get over the top (barring that one night where it magically aligned for them in 2010). It doesn't create much of a rivalry when one team's always beating the other - which is why I'd be surprised to see any Richmond fan say they have a rivalry with us.

The nature of the Cats-Hawks rivalry is different: the Curse wins might have always been in our favour, but the results were far from certain... and anyway, it all flipped around come the 2013 PF. That's why - even though it's lying dormant for now - the Hawks will ALWAYS be our #1 competitor.

For the record, I chose Port because I clicked before spotting the "none" option, but I wouldn't say we have much of a rivalry with either.

Yep Collingwood.

There has been 6 Grand finals between the two teams (4-2 our way), at least 5 Prelim finals (1980, 1981, 2007, 2009, 2011), and a ton of other finals. They've faced each other in finals more than any other combination of teams. It's not just something in the last decade or two that younger fans think all of footy history belongs in (like a lot of Hawthorn's for instance). It goes back to the 1920s, 1930s, 1950s and so on. It's a legitimate, long term, genuine ongoing rivalry. I'm surprised more isn't made of it.

The other weird thing is unlike us with Richmond, when Geelong and Collingwood are both strong they tend to win flags at the same time.

1925 - Geelong
1927-1930 - Collingwood
1931 - Geelong

1935-36 - Collingwood
1937 - Geelong

1951-52 - Geelong
1953 - Collingwood

2007 - Geelong
2009 - Geelong
2010 - Collingwood
2011 - Geelong

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember one of my brother's mates had a decent computer in the late 90's and one of the games was Aussie Rules 98 and for some reason, Martin McKinnon had superior skills to all other players. You always won just by getting him the ball as he would kick goals from 60+.

Still not sure why the makers of that game decided to give him the best attributes. Maybe Marty was in on it.
I think I had that game too and yeah I recall McKinnon and Snell being unstoppable in the forward line. Lol

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep Collingwood.

There has been 6 Grand finals between the two teams (4-2 our way), at least 5 Prelim finals (1980, 1981, 2007, 2009, 2011), and a ton of other finals. They've faced each other in finals more than any other combination of teams. It's not just something in the last decade or two that younger fans think all of footy history belongs in (like a lot of Hawthorn's for instance). It goes back to the 1920s, 1930s, 1950s and so on. It's a legitimate, long term, genuine ongoing rivalry. I'm surprised more isn't made of it.

The other weird thing is unlike us with Richmond, when Geelong and Collingwood are both strong they tend to win flags at the same time.

1925 - Geelong
1927-1930 - Collingwood
1931 - Geelong

1935-36 - Collingwood
1937 - Geelong

1951-52 - Geelong
1953 - Collingwood

2007 - Geelong
2009 - Geelong
2010 - Collingwood
2011 - Geelong
I kinda feel like with the pies they're too busy being hated by every other Victorian side to care too much about us. Also, while they were known for the hostile environment the fans created at Victoria Park, Geelong folks sort of had the opposite reputation - being overly nice and welcoming to the guests who came down the highway. They are always going to list Carlton and Essendon as their main rivals.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The general consensus amongst fanbases of both the Crows and Power is that they see a rivalry between their club and Geelong and in the eyes of many people from both fanbases, their rivalry with Geelong is their club's biggest rival aside from their local cross town rival.

It does feel to me as though both rivalries are mostly one way with Crows and Power fans seeing a rivalry between our club and theirs, while Cats fans don't tend to see the rivalry between our club and their clubs and such.

Geelong and Port Adelaide have squared off in five finals matches in the 25 seasons Port Adelaide have been in the AFL, that's an average of the two clubs meeting each other in finals once every five years which is an amazing frequency. Just to show how high this frequency is compare Geelong's finals history with both St Kilda and Sydney and realise the fact Geelong have bet both clubs in five finals in 125 years. The seeds are definitely there in terms of the Cats/Power rivalry but it needs the Power to beat the Cats in a preliminary final or a grand final for seeds to start to sprout.

Geelong and Adelaide have played two finals matches against each other with Adelaide winning both times, but I feel as though the biggest factor in this rivalry is Patrick Dangerfield rather than any past games between the two clubs. The heat was definitely there from both supporter bases in 2016 and 2017 but it mostly cooled off and fizzled out after 2017 from both Cats and Crows supporters. Geelong have always had one bogey fixture and that's whenever we've had to play Adelaide in South Australia at either Football Park or Adelaide Oval. I'm not sure why we've always struggled to beat the Crows in Adelaide and you can't put it down to South Australia not suiting our gamestyles, because we've never struggled with beating Port Adelaide in South Australia and as a matter of a fact, we have a positive win loss ratio against Port Adelaide in South Australia.

It'll be interesting to see how Geelong supporters see the Cats/Crows and Cats/Power rivalries as well as seeing which rivalry our fanbase sees as being the bigger rivalry out of the two.

Which rivalry do you think is the bigger rivalry out of the two?

Cats vs Crows?
or
Cats vs Power?

Having lived in Adelaide all my life, I've never heard anyone mention a Geelong rivalry.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
I dont mind Port - a real team (not a franchise), coached by one of my favourite former cats players (who was also an assistant coach for us in 2007) and captained by one of my favourite non-geelong players. They've beaten us a few times recently in finals, but we only had ourselves to blame in those games. I can see why going the other way they dont like us (2007) but personally I was hoping they were going to go all the way last season once we got knocked out.
As for Adelaide, who are they again?

Adelaide have a 2-0 record against us in finals which is why I struggle to understand why Crows supporters see a rivalry between the Cats/Crows. Surely the rivalry isn't one that stems from the defection of Patrick Dangerfield?

That's probably only because they were forced to choose and we come out on top because we've been so good for so long.

Over on the Crows board many of them nominated the Bulldogs as well as Geelong and Richmond. There's a thread over on the Bulldogs board regarding who their biggest rival is and they all acknowledge there is a rivalry with Adelaide even if it's below the likes of GWS and St Kilda in the pecking order. Richmond supporters have done similar and acknowledged there is a rivalry with the Power even if it's a fair way down the pecking order with Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon clearly at the top of Richmond's pecking order.

As a neutral I've found games between the Tigers/Power at Adelaide Oval to always be great spectacles as well as the atmosphere at the games being very alive and electric. In my opinion Tigers/Power games in Adelaide aren't far behind Crows/Power games in terms of the games always tending to be great to watch, and I feel as though Tigers/Power is a rivalry which should grow legs if the two sides continue to be finalists/premiership contenders.

Tigers/Crows on the other hand I find to be one of the most irrelevant and forgettable fixtures on the footy calendar. Even the Tigers/Suns and the Tigers/Giants have played in multiple classic home and away games which have gone down to the wire.

AFL media always use highlights from the Tigers/Suns game where Karmichael Hunt won the game with a kick after the siren and the Tigers/Giants game where Jeremy Cameron kicked the match winner in the dying moments of what was a tough, close and classic encounter.

In my opinion the Tigers/Crows and Bulldogs/Power are on a par when it comes to irrelevant and forgettable fixtures, which is ironic when the inverse of these match ups (Tigers/Power and Bulldogs/Crows) are rivalries which are not only reciprocated two ways, but they're match ups which have seen several memorable and classic games over the years.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Adelaide have a 2-0 record against us in finals which is why I struggle to understand why Crows supporters see a rivalry between the Cats/Crows. Surely the rivalry isn't one that stems from the defection of Patrick Dangerfield?

Over on the Crows board many of them nominated the Bulldogs as well as Geelong and Richmond. There's a thread over on the Bulldogs board regarding who their biggest rival is and they all acknowledge there is a rivalry with Adelaide even if it's below the likes of GWS and St Kilda in the pecking order. Richmond supporters have done similar and acknowledged there is a rivalry with the Power even if it's a fair way down the pecking order with Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon clearly at the top of Richmond's pecking order.

As a neutral I've found games between the Tigers/Power at Adelaide Oval to always be great spectacles as well as the atmosphere at the games being very alive and electric. In my opinion Tigers/Power games in Adelaide aren't far behind Crows/Power games in terms of the games always tending to be great to watch, and I feel as though Tigers/Power is a rivalry which should grow legs if the two sides continue to be finalists/premiership contenders.

Tigers/Crows on the other hand I find to be one of the most irrelevant and forgettable fixtures on the footy calendar. Even the Tigers/Suns and the Tigers/Giants have played in multiple classic home and away games which have gone down to the wire.

AFL media always use highlights from the Tigers/Suns game where Karmichael Hunt won the game with a kick after the siren and the Tigers/Giants game where Jeremy Cameron kicked the match winner in the dying moments of what was a tough, close and classic encounter.

In my opinion the Tigers/Crows and Bulldogs/Power are on a par when it comes to irrelevant and forgettable fixtures, which is ironic when the inverse of these match ups (Tigers/Power and Bulldogs/Crows) are rivalries which are not only reciprocated two ways, but they're match ups which have seen several memorable and classic games over the years.
I do miss the Victorian -South Australian rivalry. Big V v Croweaters. Remember the passion in some of those games?

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
I dont mind Port - a real team (not a franchise), coached by one of my favourite former cats players (who was also an assistant coach for us in 2007) and captained by one of my favourite non-geelong players. They've beaten us a few times recently in finals, but we only had ourselves to blame in those games. I can see why going the other way they dont like us (2007) but personally I was hoping they were going to go all the way last season once we got knocked out.
As for Adelaide, who are they again?
Glad I read the other posts before writing anything. I was going to write pretty much the same thing as you but without it being put into words as well as you put it.

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Glad I read the other posts before writing anything. I was going to write pretty much the same thing as you but without it being put into words as well as you put it.

Interesting to know our supporter base are indifferent to both the Crows and Power seeing no rivalry with either of them, especially when both the Crows and Power supporter bases see a rivalry with Geelong and their clubs, in fact many Crows and Power supporters see Geelong as being their second biggest rivalry second only to the rivalry they share with each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I kinda feel like with the pies they're too busy being hated by every other Victorian side to care too much about us. Also, while they were known for the hostile environment the fans created at Victoria Park, Geelong folks sort of had the opposite reputation - being overly nice and welcoming to the guests who came down the highway. They are always going to list Carlton and Essendon as their main rivals.

True. I think a lot of that is the legacy of the 1970s into the 1980s - the first era with colour television and much more matches covered. All the current media personalities grew up then, so they regard that as the important timeframe. And the sides that were perceived to be "big" then - Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Richmond - are still mentioned as big even though in reality it's only Richmond and Collingwood that come close in actual performance. It's only now people are starting to notice the fact that for all their reputation, profile, fans etc., Collingwood have only won 2 flags in the last 63 seasons, and only 4 in the last 84 (yes really). Essendon AND Carlton are both in record-breaking droughts. Carlton v Collingwood might have been a legitimately big deal in 1984, but it hasn't been for a long, long time now. Same for just about any combination of those four, except maybe Richmond v Collingwood.

Marty McKinnon? The not-quite Patrick Dangerfield of the 90s.

No I think the reference is to some punter on BF?
correct...

GO Catters

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Interesting to know our supporter base are indifferent to both the Crows and Power seeing no rivalry with either of them, especially when both the Crows and Power supporter bases see a rivalry with Geelong and their clubs, in fact many Crows and Power supporters see Geelong as being their second biggest rivalry second only to the rivalry they share with each other.
Wouldn’t be surprised if their hatred of eachother contributed to having the same secondary rival. Both clubs just want to outdo eachother and as we make finals every year we at least give ourselves a chance so why wouldn’t they envy us

King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Wouldn’t be surprised if their hatred of eachother contributed to having the same secondary rival. Both clubs just want to outdo eachother and as we make finals every year we at least give ourselves a chance so why wouldn’t they envy us

That might explain why the Crows and Power equally hate Richmond too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back