Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

I think the confusion here largely stems from the fact that Geelong aren't paying Chris Mayne $800k/year to football.
I think the confusion also comes back to the President who can't draw a distinction between Hot Seat Millionaire and Collingwood Football Club

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
GoEaglesGoSGIO

I've made some adjustments

Rhys Stanley - 400k
Zac Tuohy - 600k 400k
Brandan Parfitt - 300k
Gary Ablett - 300k
Naika Cockatoo - 100k
Jordan Clark - 100k
Harry Taylor - 600k (forever backended contract catching up)
Jake Kolodhasnij - 300k
Jack Steven - 500k
Ben Jarvis - 75k
Josh Jenkins - 200k
Cooper Stephens - 75k
Lachoe Fogarty - 100k
Joel Selwood - 800k (forever backended contract catching up)
Nathan Kreuger - 75k
Sam De Koning - 75k
Esavara Ratugolea - 300k
Charlie Constable - 100k
Quinton Narkle - 100k
Jacob Kennerly - 100k
Mitch Duncan - 800k 600k
Gary Rohan - 500k 300k

Jed Bews - 200k
Tom Hawkins - 800k
Sam Menegola - 500k
Darcy Fort - 100k
Cameron Guthrie - 400k
Francis Evans - 75k
Gryan Miers - 400k 200k
Jake Tarca - 75k
James Parsons - 100k
Patrick Dangerfield - 1 mill 800k
Sam Simpson - 100k
Jack Henry - 200k
Zac Gutrhie - 100k
Luke Dalhaus - 600k 400k
Cameron Taheny - 75k
Mark O'Connor - 300k 100k
Tom Stewart - 800k 400k
Mark Bilcavs - 800k 400k

You have to remember that we had $800k set aisde for Tim Kelly that we didn't spend. By my count we're at $13.5m - $2.2m = $11m
You forgot to add Mitch Duncan who I think is on $5-$600,000 a year too.

I reckon Harry Taylor had a front ended deal when he renewed his contract for the end of 2013. His 5 year contract from 2014-18 would of been $600,000 a year. But I reckon it was front loaded. $700,000 in 2014-5 then $600,000 in 2016 then $500,000 in 2017 and 2018. Then signed a 1 year rolling contract on $500,000 a year for 2019 and 2020.

A guy like Luke Dalhaus wouldn't be on only $400,000 a year. He played in the dogs 2016 flag side. He would be on $500-$600,000 a year too just like 8-10 other cats players on that list.

Again...... The salary cap was 13 million this season

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
You forgot to add Mitch Duncan who I think is on $5-$600,000 a year too.

I reckon Harry Taylor had a front ended deal when he renewed his contract for the end of 2013. His 5 year contract from 2014-18 would of been $600,000 a year. But I reckon it was front loaded. $700,000 in 2014-5 then $600,000 in 2016 then $500,000 in 2017 and 2018. Then signed a 1 year rolling contract on $500,000 a year for 2019 and 2020.

A guy like Luke Dalhaus wouldn't be on only $400,000 a year. He played in the dogs 2016 flag side. He would be on $500-$600,000 a year too just like 8-10 other cats players on that list.

Again...... The salary cap was 13 million this season

I just think they should be investigated fir paying Garry Rohan anything .. I mean seriously...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Might get banned for this but whatever

For 20 years now, Geelong have had a unmatched ability to recruit and keep players. They are quite simply untouchable in this respect. Gary Ablett and his 2 mill aside, no one has ever been squeezed out of this club for salary cap reasons despite simply having the best list over this time period. All the while this has happened they have been able to still poach players at the same time, time and time again. Im pretty confident that if I market valued the current Geelong list, they should be about 30% over the cap

The question is. Do they have the greatest list management team in the country? or do we need to dig a bit more deeper below the surface?
20 years with the best list in the competition for a return of 3 flags, maybe we should be investigating the under performance of their football department?

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
What sort of detailed analysis have you gone into to come up with this conclusion?
I divided 20 years with what was stated as being the best team, by 3 and compared that with the current top teams effort of 3 in 4 years and decided that the results at Geelong are below what should have been achieved with the quality of player involved.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
He was actually a solid player at the swans. Having injuries didn't help though.
I don't think a bloke who has played primarily up forward for all of his career , as a target , who averages less than a goal a game and averages under 10 possessions a game is solid. On that basis Mabior Chol is also solid... Anyhow I digress.

More to the point is the 'jobs/employment ' provided for players partners at sponsors businesses ( e.g. Cotton On) as an inducement to 'pick' Geelong as your club of destination. Dress it up anyway you like , it must be part pf the salary cap. Its wrong in so many ways.
Poor old Jon Anderson struggled with this point when quizzed by Michael Warner.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I don't think a bloke who has played primarily up forward for all of his career , as a target , who averages less than a goal a game and averages under 10 possessions a game is solid. On that basis Mabior Chol is also solid... Anyhow I digress.

More to the point is the 'jobs/employment ' provided for players partners at sponsors businesses ( e.g. Cotton On) as an inducement to 'pick' Geelong as your club of destination. Dress it up anyway you like , it must be part pf the salary cap. Its wrong in so many ways.
Well aren't you a humble tigers fan. For the record, Zac Dawson was getting paid $400,000 a year playing for the dockers from 2012-7

And you think this would be unique to Geelong?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm pretty sure Shane Mumford was squeezed out...

For ******* Mark Blake.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Well aren't you a humble tigers fan. For the record, Zac Dawson was getting paid $400,000 a year playing for the dockers from 2012-7

Yes very humble . Suppose better than being an insecure , salt ridden supporter of a club that has achieved nothing .

Zac Dawson was in a different role , was nit lauded as a game changer and did the defensive job his coach would have wanted , week in week out . But thanks for your reply . Didn’t know there were any Freo supporters .

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think he was please we dropped him for the GF for Blake.

But we offered him a hefty contract and playing time but he didn't have a bar of it.

He wasn't happy about being dropped for the GF but to be fair, from memory, it was really his first big season and he just ran out of petrol towards the end of the season.

The pretty common story at the time is that we did offer him a contract that was short and not for a hell of a lot of money due to Blake still having a year to run on his contract.

He went to Sydney for a reported $1m over 3 years which was then extended to 4 years.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Lmao, because it's Cameron Ling. Not like he wasn't high in the club's ranks.

So?

Was he the list manager, was he the player, the player agent, the club's contracts person? Mumford left after the '09 season, same time Harley retired and Ling was made captain. I'd be surprised if club administrators were passing information onto Ling about the contract negotiations of other players, whether they stayed or didn't.

He would be the only person I've ever heard say that Geelong put a big contract to Mumford. Every other report / source said that Geelong couldn't hope to match Sydney's offer due to cap constraints.

Maybe not but the thread is . And the weight and type of recruits each year by Geelong certainly red flags it .
Something smells rotten .

One cannot be sure if you are trolling? Brian Cook is without doubt the most astute club CEO the AFL has seen in the past 30 years. He oversaw 2 premierships at WCE and completely reversed Geelong's fortunes through prudent management. He isn't going to tarnish his reputation and legacy by doing something stupid that an audit will pick up.

You sound like a petulant child, aka, Donald Trump. No proof whatsoever that Geelong has breached any rules. But keep saying "something smells rotten" and you'll no doubt end up believing it to be true.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe not but the thread is . And the weight and type of recruits each year by Geelong certainly red flags it .
Something smells rotten .

Lol. Who, aside from Dangerfield and Cameron 5 years apart have we picked up?

Ablett? Doubt he would have been on peak salary.
Tuohy? Not exactly a superstar.
Steven? St Kilda were still paying for him.
Henderson? Oh yeah, the next Scarlett at the peak of his powers.
Gary Rohan? So beloved by Sydney fans, it's a wonder we could afford him.
Luke Dalhaus? Not exactly Dustin Martin is he
Josh Jenkins? World's first million dollar a game-r?
Rhys Stanley? Not content with being the marquee player for St Kilda he decided to carry the Geelong team on his considerable shoulders as well.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
One cannot be sure if you are trolling? Brian Cook is without doubt the most astute club CEO the AFL has seen in the past 30 years. He oversaw 2 premierships at WCE and completely reversed Geelong's fortunes through prudent management. He isn't going to tarnish his reputation and legacy by doing something stupid that an audit will pick up.

You sound like a petulant child, aka, Donald Trump. No proof whatsoever that Geelong has breached any rules. But keep saying "something smells rotten" and you'll no doubt end up believing it to be true.
Wow , just wow , what a churlish response.

Quite simply the question as per the OP is about Gelongs salary cap. In typical Geelong fashion you have become ultra defensive.

I understand reputational issues , I'm sure Brian Cook does . As does James FANATSIA , Eddie McGuire Xavier Campbell ( all too well !) Brendon Gale ET AL.

A petulant child ? Donald Trump ? C'mon be better than that, to me it does smell rotten , it doesn't sound right . Same way as Judd with VisyBoard didn't sound right , Treloars missus at Channel 9 DIDNT SOUND RIGHT. Maybe Ctchs wife or Jacks wife has a gig somewhere arranged by the club ? It still don't make it right. It just happens this thread is about Geelong's salary cap. If you don't like what posters say then don't read it. The thread heading should be enough of a warning for you that you may become stressed....

If one posts something that one does not like that doesn't make one a troll . It means people one have a different opinion to another.

I see you're dealing with the GF loss well.

GO CATTERS

Back