Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Disagree on this. Ablett’s four peak years were comfortably ahead of anything Selwood has ever produced. He was already a good player before 2007 he just became a standout midfield star.

Selwood won’t have his longevity’s either.
Ablett didn’t really do anything after the 2014 season so there’s no longevity there.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There were a lot of factors that needed to click in 2007. Ablett and Ottens are the top two for me.

Suits the mythology, but Selwood’s arrival wasn’t a major factor that year. Nice cream on top.
Certainly didn’t hurt but I don’t think by any means that it’s a case of ‘take Joel out and we don’t win’ whereas the likes of Ablett, Chapman to me, Johnson and as you pointed out, Ottens, were the major factors

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett didn’t really do anything after the 2014 season so there’s no longevity there.
Yeah just a mere 8 seasons of being the best and then another where he had the Brownlow in his pocket two thirds of the way through the season when he got injured.

very fleeting wasn’t ir

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah just a mere 8 seasons of being the best and then another where he had the Brownlow in his pocket two thirds of the way through the season when he got injured.

very fleeting wasn’t ir
What’s your point? He was only with us for four of those eight seasons.

Partridge

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
As recently as 2017 he averaged 33 touches a game. As recently as 2019 he kicked 34 goals for the season as a small forward. May not have been the player he was, but up until this season still a very good and dangerous player.

That’s tons of longevity.

PJays

All Australian
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ablett just retired at 36 in a losing grand final team after 357 games.

The best thing he did in his 30s was win the Gold Coast B&F in 2017 in a landslide as a 33 year old.... after playing 14 games for the season.

Very few players have better longevity than that!

Last edited:

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I honestly believe Geelong would have won at least 2 more flags had GAJ stayed, but we will never know for sure.
It’s irrelevant because it never happened. like saying we would’ve beaten you in the 1995 Grand Final if we just paid Diesel the money he wanted.

GeelongFTW

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
Disagree on this. Ablett’s four peak years were comfortably ahead of anything Selwood has ever produced. He was already a good player before 2007 he just became a standout midfield star.

Selwood won’t have his longevity’s either.
GAJ finished up on 357 games. Selwoods on 310 atm. Say another 15 games next year that's 325 already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE_GUN

R.I.P Shane Tuck 21
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Selwood will be lucky to get through next season.
Your kidding arnt you !!

Just before the GF we had just about every Geelong supporter telling us the only reason Richmond won the 1st game was because Scott didnt play Selwood and how good a player he is and how important he was. Now your telling us he wont play the season.

Fact is Selwood is till in your best 5-8 players and most likely will play another 2 seasons and cats will try to nurse him to 350 games

Partridge

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Fact is Selwood is till in your best 5-8 players and most likely will play another 2 seasons and cats will try to nurse him to 350 games
I’m not sure he is anymore. As fans we think stars go on forever and that they’re immune to time. It’s been catching up with him a lot in the last two seasons.

HairyO

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cotton on/Simonds homes
$1 pubs with waterfront views was to go in Ling's days.

Darcy once teased him about it on air and Ling's response was "well yes moving on".

Tex and Dangerfield got a pub in Adelaide on the cheap.

Not sure what Hawthorn does but I assume we do it too.

Ricky Vaughn

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Your kidding arnt you !!

Just before the GF we had just about every Geelong supporter telling us the only reason Richmond won the 1st game was because Scott didnt play Selwood and how good a player he is and how important he was. Now your telling us he wont play the season.

H&A - outside our best 12
Finals - best 1-3

KissKiss

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m not sure he is anymore. As fans we think stars go on forever and that they’re immune to time. It’s been catching up with him a lot in the last two seasons.
Im actually amazed he has lasted as long as he has. From the knee injury that was a question about him being drafted to such an incredibly combative style for most of his career. He has coped an absolute beating and its honestly a little amazing he got to 300

Ricky Vaughn

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Im actually amazed he has lasted as long as he has. From the knee injury that was a question about him being drafted to such an incredibly combative style for most of his career. He has coped an absolute beating and its honestly a little amazing he got to 300
I thought 2015 was going to see him out after he struggled through that season. AA in 2016, best football of his career in the first half of 2017. Our best in Finals in 2019 and top 5 again in 2020 (with a broken finger).

Remarkable he's still going.

astrowizzle

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2007
Nerrigundah
AFL Club
Essendon
Or maybe there was something given to them by Mr dank.

catscollector

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
There is speculation Geelong are interested in acquiring the services of Sean Darcy from Fremantle.
I suspect this will only occur once his contract expires at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Does anybody know how this could be managed given our current salary cap is at it's limit. Maybe Selwood would retire freeing up a good 800k?

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
There is speculation Geelong are interested in acquiring the services of Sean Darcy from Fremantle.
I suspect this will only occur once his contract expires at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Does anybody know how this could be managed given our current salary cap is at it's limit. Maybe Selwood would retire freeing up a good 800k?
Back ended as I imagine a decent amount of cap room will open over the next 2-3 years with retirements.

Remove this Banner Ad