Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
It's more what we had set aside for him (rumoured to be around 800K to entice him to stay) after his initial basement contract ended. That money is still there, plus retirements of Ablett and Taylor coming
Yep, this is exactly right.....And with the players who have elevated this year already signed up ( Guthrie & Menegola), we have a lot of available cap space.....Higgins will slip in on roughly the same amount as Ablett was earning, which still leaves that 800k-1m free plus what we will get back free’d from the upcoming departures of a Taylor & Cockatoo....Hence we have enough space to bring in 3 players all up if we’re lucky enough.

It's still the veterans concessions.

Geelong are able to exclude approximately $115,000 per player on their list with ten years service or more from their salary cap.

These are the players who qualify (for this season);
Gary Ablett
Harry Taylor
Joel Selwood
Tom Hawkins
Mitch Duncan

An extra $575,000 to spend elsewhere in just 2020.

Geelong have had an older side for quite a while, they would have been making the most of this rule. This rule used to be that when a player had played ten years with the club and was 30 or older half their salary was excluded from the salary cap. Geelong were the reason that rule was altered but if a player was already signed to a veterans list contract under that rule then they stayed on that system until the contract ran out.

The other players signed during that period of being able to pay more money will potentially still be enjoyed by Geelong.

This is going on at all clubs.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
I dont. Im saying that anything less is wellll below market value. 950k is me asuming he took below his worth to sign in Geelong also mind you

We'll you've already got that one wrong, lol. Selwood is rumoured to be on 900K, and Danger has stated many times that he rightly doesn't get paid more than the captain - so he's sub 900K.

To shut this all down - I've really had enough of all this salary cap nonsense from people who have no idea about our list -, this is a prospective breakdown of our entire list:

12.6 MIL salary cap -

Top Tier - 3 players

Selwood 900K
Danger 890K
Hawkins 800K (will very likely take a big paycut in this contract given the extra year he'll get)

Total = 2.6 MIL approx.

Middle Tier - 17 players

Taylor 500K
Blics 500K
Stewart 500K
Duncan 500K
Dahlhaus 500K
Steven 400K (half his contract or so being paid by Saints)
Guth 400K
Parfitt (new contract likely to be around 400K or so given his stellar year)
Ablett 400K
Menegola 300K
Tuohy 300K
Stanley 300K
Rohan 300K
Kolo 250K
Bews 250K
Henry 200K
O'Connor 200K
Miers 200K

Total = 6.4 MIL approx.

Lower Tier but senior experience - 10 players

Clark 150K (1st round pick wages)
De Koning 150K (1st round pick wages)
C. Stephens 150K (1st round pick wages)
Cockatoo 150K (1st round pick wages)
Fogarty 120K
Constable 120K
Ratugolea 120K
Narkle 120K
Simpson 120K
Atkins 120K

Total = 1.320 MIL approx.

Basement wages (rookie, untried or depth) - 100K or less - 16 players

Jenkins (majority of salary being paid by Adelaide)
Jarvis
Henderson
Tarca
Close
Schlensog
Z. Guthrie
Fort
Brownless
Kennerley
Evans
Taheny
Okunbor
Close
Kreuger

Total = 1.6 MIL approx.

Overall total 46 players - approx. 11.92 MIL

Leaves around 700K. Retirements of Taylor and Ablett leave another 900K - that's 1.6 MIL. If Hawkins takes a pay cut (which I think he will if he wants a 2 year contract instead of the standard 1) then that could be another 300-400K - that's 1.9-2 MIL spare now which would cover all of Cameron, Crouch and Higgins (Cameron 850K, Crouch 650K, Higgins 400-500K as an example)

These are obviously very basic figures, but it's a demonstration of who is on our list, what tier they fall into, and what they're likely to be paid as a result. Guthrie, Menegola and Duncan are all locked into their long-term contracts, so a price rise doesn't need to be factored in for them. Clark likely is on more, but I'm not sure how much of an increase it would be (100-200K?), so I've left that as is given other salaries probably balance it out.

We might appear to have all these 'stars' but in reality, the list breakdown is more a combination of some A-B graders, mid-tier and low-tier players with a few right at the absolute elite level - with possibly a couple to break into that level once Selwood and Hawkins retire.

Peace.

Last edited:

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geelong are clearly over the salary cap with the amount of bandages they have to stock to use on Selwood's noggin everytime he ducks for a free kick.🤕

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Certain clubs have the luxury of players taking less because of success, culture and just general like. Look at Geelong ten years ago - they kept most of their team, but it’s not like Scarlett or Bartel or Enright etc etc couldn’t have gone elsewhere for more. Same applies here. It’s not unique to Geelong; how many players do Eagles lose? Hawthorn?

I would Margie Eagles have more talent than Geelong. It’s the same deal there.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
1st off Look at the Salary cap. That AFL salary cap is 13 million. Divide that by 52 weeks is $250,000 a week.

you got 40 players in the list and thats an Average of $325,000 per player. But not every cats player is on $325,000 a year some are.

$325,000 is $6,250 a week.

$325,000 times 2 is $650,000 or $12,500 a week. I use that dollar figure as an accurate and well rounded number. $650,000 is /2th of the cap or 5% out of 100%.

How many cats players are earning around $650,000 a year? Probably a fair few.

When Patty Dangerfield left the crows to go to the cats as a free agent, Cats offered him a decent deal. It was only $800,000 a year but it was a 6 year deal. Dangerfield in the end of 2015 could of asked for 1 milllion or more a year for a guy that is elite and in his prime years.

Only other guys on the cats list that would be on $800, a year or more would be Selwood and Hawkins.

other key players in geelongs side would be on $500-$600,000 a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
We'll you've already got that one wrong, lol. Selwood is rumoured to be on 900K, and Danger has stated many times that he rightly doesn't get paid more than the captain - so he's sub 900K.

To shut this all down - I've really had enough of all this salary cap nonsense from people who have no idea about our list -, this is a prospective breakdown of our entire list:

12.6 MIL salary cap -

Top Tier - 3 players

Selwood 900K
Danger 890K
Hawkins 800K (will very likely take a big paycut in this contract given the extra year he'll get)

Total = 2.6 MIL approx.

Middle Tier - 17 players

Taylor 500K
Blics 500K
Stewart 500K
Duncan 500K
Dahlhaus 500K
Steven 400K (half his contract or so being paid by Saints)
Guth 400K
Parfitt (new contract likely to be around 400K or so given his stellar year)
Ablett 400K
Menegola 300K
Tuohy 300K
Stanley 300K
Rohan 300K
Kolo 250K
Bews 250K
Henry 200K
O'Connor 200K
Miers 200K

Total = 6.4 MIL approx.

Lower Tier but senior experience - 10 players

Clark 150K (1st round pick wages)
De Koning 150K (1st round pick wages)
C. Stephens 150K (1st round pick wages)
Cockatoo 150K (1st round pick wages)
Fogarty 120K
Constable 120K
Ratugolea 120K
Narkle 120K
Simpson 120K
Atkins 120K

Total = 1.320 MIL approx.

Basement wages (rookie, untried or depth) - 100K or less - 16 players

Jenkins (majority of salary being paid by Adelaide)
Jarvis
Henderson
Tarca
Close
Schlensog
Z. Guthrie
Fort
Brownless
Kennerley
Evans
Taheny
Okunbor
Close
Kreuger

Total = 1.6 MIL approx.

Overall total 46 players - approx. 11.92 MIL

Leaves around 700K. Retirements of Taylor and Ablett leave another 900K - that's 1.6 MIL. If Hawkins takes a pay cut (which I think he will if he wants a 2 year contract instead of the standard 1) then that could be another 300-400K - that's 1.9-2 MIL spare now which would cover all of Cameron, Crouch and Higgins (Cameron 850K, Crouch 650K, Higgins 400-500K as an example)

These are obviously very basic figures, but it's a demonstration of who is on our list, what tier they fall into, and what they're likely to be paid as a result. Guthrie, Menegola and Duncan are all locked into their long-term contracts, so a price rise doesn't need to be factored in for them. Clark likely is on more, but I'm not sure how much of an increase it would be (100-200K?), so I've left that as is given other salaries probably balance it out.

We might appear to have all these 'stars' but in reality, the list breakdown is more a combination of some A-B graders, mid-tier and low-tier players with a few right at the absolute elite level - with possibly a couple to break into that level once Selwood and Hawkins retire.

Peace.
I swear Harry Taylor is on $600,000 a year. I still remembered that Harry Taylor was out of Contract at the end of 2013 and remarkably Freo the rumour at the time was freo were interested. Taylor then signed a 5 year deal at $600,000 a year. for the 2014-18 seasons.

I was thinking Duncan and Dalhaus would be on $600-650,000 a year each.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find it strange this question to be asked of Geelong - they're consistently good but they're consistently top 4 rather than dominant. Their list is probably continuously close to the 100% mark and relies on significant outs to bring in significant ins, but they've hardly got a 3peat list. A bunch of their handy role players (Bews, Kolodjashnij, Miers, O'Connor, Taylor, Henderson, Atkins) would be on low payments.

Eagles supporters claim Yeo and Sheppard play for unders because they have rich dads, and Naitanui is paid a handsome portion outside the cap for ambassador reasons. Of course Kennedy doesn't get much anymore on his 1 year deals, and the contracts of Kelly, Gaff, McGovern, Shuey and Darling are greatly exaggerated.

Richmond supporters claim Cotchin and Riewoldt play for unders, the contracts of Martin and Lynch are greatly exaggerated, Houli is an ambassador paid well outside the cap, Edwards signs on for the love of the club.

Don't see how this can't apply to Geelong.

More to the point I'd say - can clubs entice their 2nd tier and youth away with big offers? I think we'll see that potentially hit this off season - Constable, Narkle, Cockatoo etc. They've got a culture of winning and players want to go there and players want to stay there. But there's clearly talent not getting regular opportunities. Simpson is another. If they bring in Higgins it's only going to put them a spot further behind.

Clubs should be targeting the Cats. Ripe for the picking if they get the offer right. I'm hoping it's part of why North put up Higgins. Not to get a third or fourth round draft pick, but to use it as a part of a deal to get a talented young player out. We can pay Higgins salary for all I care.

Edit: there's evidence for a lot of the Eagles and Tigers claims, I'm not disputing the legitimacy of those claims, just saying that Geelong isn't different in terms of a successful culture, signing for unders etc

Last edited:

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I swear Harry Taylor is on $600,000 a year. I still remembered that Harry Taylor was out of Contract at the end of 2013 and remarkably Freo the rumour at the time was freo were interested. Taylor then signed a 5 year deal at $600,000 a year. for the 2014-18 seasons.

Taylor almost retired last year, he would be on a lot less now. Duncan yes, Dahlhaus is about 500,000 apparently. Geelong get players for less, but sign long contracts.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Taylor signed an extension to the end of 2019 in 2017. He finished 10th in the B&F that year and was 31. He'd have a significant decrease then.

Then at the end of 2019 when he signed on for 2020 he was 33 and well outside the top 10 players on the list.

He's be lucky to be at average salary in 2020 let alone 600k.

A big part of their salary space would be Taylor decreasing, Selwood on the last 2 years of a deal where he's likely to be paid less considering his age, retirement of Scott Selwood who was on probably 400k based on the free agency compo pick.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Geelong are clearly over the salary cap with the amount of bandages they have to stock to use on Selwood's noggin everytime he ducks for a free kick.🤕

Someone's bitter their mob missed out on Jezza for the Catters. Also last week lol

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just doing my own little numbers - they have a fairly stockstandard top 4 list. I'm not surprised their cap is OK. Plus bye bye Ablett and Taylor, Jenkins and Steven paid for by other clubs, Hawkins and Selwood on a downward trend - Higgins and Cameron easily makes since to me.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Just doing my own little numbers - they have a fairly stockstandard top 4 list. I'm not surprised their cap is OK. Plus bye bye Ablett and Taylor, Jenkins and Steven paid for by other clubs, Hawkins and Selwood on a downward trend - Higgins and Cameron easily makes since to me.
Higgins will hardly be on big money, and we have that many picks in the draft we will be bringing in quite a few kids too.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This comp is as pure as the driven snow, as if there's any funny business going on under the table.

956478-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Mantastic

Premiership Player
Jun 22, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man City, Cleveland Browns
There's a reason I got my Cats jumper signed by Frank Costa, it's all pineapples and premierships for Franky!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back