Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Hey now, Just accept your club organises out of salary cap benefits like 17 other teams.
Not sure if you got it - it was a Frank Costa joke as there is a bit of whispering about the arrangement of various benefits through his fruit and veg business.

And yes, of course we do. Same as VISY for Carlton, or Jeremy Cameron getting wooed by Channel Seven in Sydney.

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Some considerations:
  • Yes the list management team is very good, the club is very well run.
  • We don't pay high salaries, we do play lesser lights more than you think. The players know this and understand this, so therefore we don't have well you pay that hack 600K why not me problems. This is also means we don't get many players leaving for more money, it is usually for more opportunity to play seniors.
  • We also delist players pretty fast if the club thinks they are not up to it.
  • When players do leave we usually try hard to get them to where they want to go. This is a positive factor if you are a professional footballer.
  • A lot of footballers are from country areas and this is a club where they can live regionally but still easy to get to training.
  • Houses are cheaper. Things are cheaper in general.
  • You can live in Victoria and go surfing every morning.
  • The club consistently plays in multiple finals a year - players value that.
  • We win more than we lose.
  • Even with all that, the big city is only an hour up the road unless you go in peak hour.
  • We also get linked with every single potentially available player every year whether true or not.

Crikey, sounds like Geelong needs a reverse COLA to me, hell just call COLALESS.....

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Might get banned for this but whatever

For 20 years now, Geelong have had a unmatched ability to recruit and keep players. They are quite simply untouchable in this respect. Gary Ablett and his 2 mill aside, no one has ever been squeezed out of this club for salary cap reasons despite simply having the best list over this time period. All the while this has happened they have been able to still poach players at the same time, time and time again. Im pretty confident that if I market valued the current Geelong list, they should be about 30% over the cap

The question is. Do they have the greatest list management team in the country? or do we need to dig a bit more deeper below the surface?
Poor eagles

I'm pretty sure Shane Mumford was squeezed out...
And Steven King

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

For 20 years now, Geelong have had a unmatched ability to recruit and keep players. They are quite simply untouchable in this respect. Gary Ablett and his 2 mill aside, no one has ever been squeezed out of this club for salary cap reasons despite simply having the best list over this time period. All the while this has happened they have been able to still poach players at the same time, time and time again. Im pretty confident that if I market valued the current Geelong list, they should be about 30% over the cap

The question is. Do they have the greatest list management team in the country? or do we need to dig a bit more deeper below the surface?

We got Brent Moloney from them back in the day due to salary cap reasons so that's wrong

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Zac Tuohy got given a house outside salary cap to join Geelong. He told this to his next door neighbour who is my cousin.

And Wanagneen was given a McDonald's Franchise when he signed with Port Adelaide Power.

These sort of deals have been happening for years at probably all clubs I dare say.

Not in the year 2020. AFL should investigate.
Lol the AFL should investigate because 1990crows cousin said so, because that’s a credible source :rolleyes:

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

you have nicnat being paid by the afl ffs. Straight out salary cap cheating legalised by the afl. and we have lost more then ablett. Can also add mumford, motlop And Tim Kelly who went to your effing club. Not to mention plenty of minor players who left cos we wouldnt pay them what they wanted.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Why is this thread not in the bay yet. Its not even a rumour. just made up rubbish from a clubs supporter who thinks poaching Tim Kelly wasnt enough.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
100% over the cap. Just like they were two weeks ago when they lost to Port and everyone was talking about it...

Srs cat though, there is little chance Geelong or any other club are over the cap. Dodgy player benefits, jobs etc. outside the club absolutely but that's not a Geelong thing. And how outside the rules it is depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Back