Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

And Wanagneen was given a McDonald's Franchise when he signed with Port Adelaide Power.

These sort of deals have been happening for years at probably all clubs I dare say.

Its easy to do, lets not kid ourselves.

A club finds a willing investor, they pair them up with a player. Then the two purchase a McDonalds / Hungry Jacks franshise. The investor stumps up most the cash, the player adds a bit of profile and guess what, the player gets a larger cut of the profits than you would if you were Jo average.

Now tell me, what can the AFL do about that? Its a business decision outside of football where a player gets a benefit from being on a list. If they want they accumulate profits and the player gets a fat dividend payment over the years just after retiring and a trailing revenue stream for years to come.

It isn't hard and perfectly legal.

Its easy to do, lets not kid ourselves.

A club finds a willing investor, they pair them up with a player. Then the two purchase a McDonalds / Hungry Jacks franshise. The investor stumps up most the cash, the player adds a bit of profile and guess what, the player gets a larger cut of the profits than you would if you were Jo average.

Now tell me, what can the AFL do about that? Its a business decision outside of football where a player gets a benefit from being on a list. If they want they accumulate profits and the player gets a fat dividend payment over the years just after retiring and a trailing revenue stream for years to come.

It isn't hard and perfectly legal.
Not quite that easy to get a Maccas franchise OB.
Got any examples of the sorts of deals so easily done, say ex players with a trailing revenue stream.

Last edited:
Does getting Isaac Smith for less coin than Hawthorn were offering count as salary cap rorting as well?

Not quite that easy to get a Maccas franchise OB.
Got any examples of the sorts of deals so easily done, say ex players with a trailing revenue stream.

Replace Maccas with whatever franchise that makes $$$. The principle is the same.

It isn't hard to pay someone legally outside the cap. Worse case profits are accumulated and paid as dividends post retirement.

Literally dozens of ways to do it.

Get caught however.......that's the problem.

Replace Maccas with whatever franchise that makes $$$. The principle is the same.

It isn't hard to pay someone legally outside the cap. Worse case profits are accumulated and paid as dividends post retirement.

Literally dozens of ways to do it.

Get caught however.......that's the problem.
Question the reality of your theory. Thats why I suggested past players, Jack Cowin has a long time connection with the Eagles so a HJ franchise would be a breeze even a Dominos.

Just a different tact here

Geelong are the Real Madrid of the AFL with Richmond being your Barcelona. I dont think their is any doubt about this at all expenditure wise

Is it time for the AFL media to align itself to recognise this? They just need more TV coverage/Friday Night games and the like. I think Richmond aside they are the 2nd biggest club in the league atm and probably need to be recognised as such by the media

Just a different tact here

Geelong are the Real Madrid of the AFL with Richmond being your Barcelona. I dont think their is any doubt about this at all expenditure wise

Is it time for the AFL media to align itself to recognise this? They just need more TV coverage/Friday Night games and the like. I think Richmond aside they are the 2nd biggest club in the league atm and probably need to be recognised as such by the media
Geelong are bigger than Collingwood and West Coast Eagles? The mental gymnastics some go through to pretend a team that hasn't won a flag since 2011 is somehow cheating... 🤣

SEN interview with Brian Cook shed some small light around the struggles of salary cap management (around the 17:00 min mark) - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11...sy-cameron-deal-and-stevens-struggles-before/

Interesting to hear that they didn't just happen to have a spare million in the salary cap for Cameron, but they'd been planning for something like this for the last three years (Collingwood list management team, take notes).

SEN interview with Brian Cook shed some small light around the struggles of salary cap management (around the 17:00 min mark) - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11...sy-cameron-deal-and-stevens-struggles-before/

Interesting to hear that they didn't just happen to have a spare million in the salary cap for Cameron, but they'd been planning for something like this for the last three years (Collingwood list management team, take notes).

That's a good point actually. While obviously a team like Richmond who have been at the pinnacle for a few years now will be fully focused management wise on retaining all their first 22 players or maybe keeping half an eye on those who might retire and looking at who will take their place, I think virtually any other team would be much better off even if they don't actually have a specific target, putting aside money because you simply never know who is going to be on the table at a given point in time.

What if in five years Rowell decides he has had enough of the glitter strip - you may have never given him a moment's thought but gee if you've got an extra $900k sitting in the bank when suddenly Ralphy says 'there are rumours out of Carara that Matt Rowell is going to ask for a trade' or whatever and you only have B graders that you are prepared to offer in return and can't free up much cash, it would be a planning masterstroke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the confusion here largely stems from the fact that Geelong aren't paying Chris Mayne $800k/year to football.
Well there were rumours the hawks were going to recruit Zac Dawson on 3 million a year. But sadly declined as it would breach the salary cap.

No but their connection to Dean Robinson and Stephen Dank during their premiership years needs to be questioned more than it is.

What so one investigation wasn’t enough, it needs more.

we can tell the world again that we purchased the legal supplement activegin through Steven Dank and then hopefully do it again a few more years after that.

Success often results in being able to keep players for under what they may receive from other clubs. Hawthorn of the 80s is a case in point. Richmond at present is another. Cats also offer sleepy hollow so you can be near to the Victorian clubs to minimize travel yet have the country lifestyle. That and they have been deep into most final series for the past 15 years so if you go there you know you are a chance of a premiership.

I am sure Geelong is keeping 'Dads Army' within the salary cap ;)

If you have to play for a Victorian club Geelong is where it's at, Ocean Grove (best beach in the state by miles) just around the corner, Bells Beach not far away, Barwon Heads etc, most Melbourne folk hope to retire down there one day, if i were a gun AFL player i'd be looking to play for the Cats.

Also, compared to the peninsula it's much cheaper, the peninsula is also so over crowded.

it’s been a few pages now, can somebody please make some figures and add them together to prove we’re breaching the cap?

Please use a bar chart if possible.
65ca2c9f76b7b8048adb13aaf59339d7--charts-and-graphs-pie-charts.jpg

If you have to play for a Victorian club Geelong is where it's at, Ocean Grove (best beach in the state by miles) just around the corner, Bells Beach not far away, Barwon Heads etc, most Melbourne folk hope to retire down there one day, if i were a gun AFL player i'd be looking to play for the Cats.

Also, compared to the peninsula it's much cheaper, the peninsula is also so over crowded.
this is the crux of it- they target local players and have a lot of WA country boys- lifestyle appeals- fishing, surfing, less scrutiny.
Really should get the reverse of COLA- and tax 20% for Geelong, Brisbane and Adelaide clubs- much cheaper cost of living!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back