Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah just a mere 8 seasons of being the best and then another where he had the Brownlow in his pocket two thirds of the way through the season when he got injured.

very fleeting wasn’t ir
What’s your point? He was only with us for four of those eight seasons.

Ablett didn’t really do anything after the 2014 season so there’s no longevity there.

As recently as 2017 he averaged 33 touches a game. As recently as 2019 he kicked 34 goals for the season as a small forward. May not have been the player he was, but up until this season still a very good and dangerous player.

That’s tons of longevity.

Ablett just retired at 36 in a losing grand final team after 357 games.

The best thing he did in his 30s was win the Gold Coast B&F in 2017 in a landslide as a 33 year old.... after playing 14 games for the season.

Very few players have better longevity than that!

Last edited:
I honestly believe Geelong would have won at least 2 more flags had GAJ stayed, but we will never know for sure.
It’s irrelevant because it never happened. like saying we would’ve beaten you in the 1995 Grand Final if we just paid Diesel the money he wanted.

Disagree on this. Ablett’s four peak years were comfortably ahead of anything Selwood has ever produced. He was already a good player before 2007 he just became a standout midfield star.

Selwood won’t have his longevity’s either.
GAJ finished up on 357 games. Selwoods on 310 atm. Say another 15 games next year that's 325 already.

Selwood will be lucky to get through next season.
Your kidding arnt you !!

Just before the GF we had just about every Geelong supporter telling us the only reason Richmond won the 1st game was because Scott didnt play Selwood and how good a player he is and how important he was. Now your telling us he wont play the season.

Fact is Selwood is till in your best 5-8 players and most likely will play another 2 seasons and cats will try to nurse him to 350 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your kidding arnt you !!

Just before the GF we had just about every Geelong supporter telling us the only reason Richmond won the 1st game was because Scott didnt play Selwood and how good a player he is and how important he was. Now your telling us he wont play the season.

Fact is Selwood is till in your best 5-8 players and most likely will play another 2 seasons and cats will try to nurse him to 350 games

H&A - outside our best 12
Finals - best 1-3

I’m not sure he is anymore. As fans we think stars go on forever and that they’re immune to time. It’s been catching up with him a lot in the last two seasons.
Im actually amazed he has lasted as long as he has. From the knee injury that was a question about him being drafted to such an incredibly combative style for most of his career. He has coped an absolute beating and its honestly a little amazing he got to 300

Im actually amazed he has lasted as long as he has. From the knee injury that was a question about him being drafted to such an incredibly combative style for most of his career. He has coped an absolute beating and its honestly a little amazing he got to 300

I thought 2015 was going to see him out after he struggled through that season. AA in 2016, best football of his career in the first half of 2017. Our best in Finals in 2019 and top 5 again in 2020 (with a broken finger).

Remarkable he's still going.

Or maybe there was something given to them by Mr dank.

There is speculation Geelong are interested in acquiring the services of Sean Darcy from Fremantle.
I suspect this will only occur once his contract expires at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Does anybody know how this could be managed given our current salary cap is at it's limit. Maybe Selwood would retire freeing up a good 800k?

There is speculation Geelong are interested in acquiring the services of Sean Darcy from Fremantle.
I suspect this will only occur once his contract expires at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Does anybody know how this could be managed given our current salary cap is at it's limit. Maybe Selwood would retire freeing up a good 800k?
Back ended as I imagine a decent amount of cap room will open over the next 2-3 years with retirements.

Wouldn't be a problem, we pay our VFL players quite well, and our AFL players are on a very flat structure. So if we need space, we just cut a few, like we always do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back