Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I liked this post from Forty3 on the matter in the Clayton Oliver thread on the Drafts, Trading and Free Agency board.

tl;dr - stop falling for media making up numbers - none of us are in the know.

Do you think the AFL really would overlook clubs flouting the cap?

I realise I’m replying to an old post but I’m fairly sure the media get leaked the number by the agents who leak the base pay plus incentives and match payments.

So yeah contract dollars bandied about by media you probably have to take into account that the player probably has to win the B&F and make the AA side every year to get that number.

Mar 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
There is speculation Geelong are interested in acquiring the services of Sean Darcy from Fremantle.
I suspect this will only occur once his contract expires at the conclusion of the 2022 season.

Does anybody know how this could be managed given our current salary cap is at it's limit. Maybe Selwood would retire freeing up a good 800k?

Will sign a 3 year 1 million dollar deal like they all do, yet somehow afford a 2 million dollar state of the art new house

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Will sign a 3 year 1 million dollar deal like they all do, yet somehow afford a 2 million dollar state of the art new house

wce-bench.jpg

You should buy a bigger house, banks are generally happy to loan you at least ten times your annual salary

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I honestly believe Geelong would have won at least 2 more flags had GAJ stayed, but we will never know for sure.
which years? 2013 and 2016?

I say Geelong should of won the flag in 2016. I seriously thought they would of beaten the swans in the MCG on prelim final weekend. Easily would of beaten the dogs at the MCG next week.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I say Geelong should of won the flag in 2016. I seriously thought they would of beaten the swans in the MCG on prelim final weekend. Easily would of beaten the dogs at the MCG next week.

Sydney flogged us. Bad night, Ablett maybe a champ but if the team isn’t switched on, not much you can do.
2013 was the missed one.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I just think it is utterly remarkably how good their fitness and conditioning program is.

So many players aged 30+ and all firing fit, and in some cases in career best form late at a time when players at other clubs are starting to decline

Not just that, but their players just look unnaturally bigger and faster than players at other clubs (i think the hoops create a weird visual effect or something)...

Oh, and all this in a Covid year with a shorter offseason and less recovery time.

Amazingly, Geelong have both the most 30 year olds ever to play in a match, and the shortest injury list in the competition.

Truly remarkable really - must be something in that country air, or in the water perhaps

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I just think it is utterly remarkably how good their fitness and conditioning program is.

So many players aged 30+ and all firing fit, and in some cases in career best form late at a time when players at other clubs are starting to decline

Not just that, but their players just look unnaturally bigger and faster than players at other clubs (i think the hoops create a weird visual effect or something)...

Oh, and all this in a Covid year with a shorter offseason and less recovery time.

Amazingly, Geelong have both the most 30 year olds ever to play in a match, and the shortest injury list in the competition.

Truly remarkable really - must be something in that country air, or in the water perhaps
Agree but helps when an administrator changes the fundamental structure of the game to empower their chip-mark possession game.

it’s not a hoopy optical illusion or the water in reality, they’ve been AFL-enhanced.

Just had Five players come back into the side from injury three of them from the 30 and older group, if you’re going to troll at least be factual

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

You seem to be overlooking that our boys are absolutely smashing the HGH. It really helps.

Running a Carlton early 90’s style “salary cap” doesn’t hurt either.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Just had Five players come back into the side from injury three of them from the 30 and older group, if you’re going to troll at least be factual

I'm not trolling. I think Geelong's fitness and conditioning program is genuinely remarkable.

Yes you have had a few injuries along the way to but to keep such an old squad healthy and in career best form is excellent.

I still remember when Carlton were too old too slow to compete and had a similarly skewed list. We had a surprisingly good and long run with that group, but eventually father time caught up. Geelong seem to be avoiding that so far and good luck to you.

Seems more interesting to me than salary cap

SuperVolley11

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t think anyone has mentioned how Harry Taylor was the highest paid player at Geelong last year and retired.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned how Harry Taylor was the highest paid player at Geelong last year and retired.

If Harry Taylor was the highest paid player at Geelong in 2020, then Hawkins, Selwood & Danger were all being grossly underpaid

We will never know because Geelong weren’t good enough to make it, but not sure you can say they would have easily beaten the Dogs who beat a Sydney side that took 20 minutes to beat Geelong a week earlier. The same Dogs who easily beat a Hawthorn side who were a kick away from beating Geelong a week earlier.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams

I mean, I don't think it's a coincidence we love to go for elite runners. If someone struggles with their tank they struggle to get games, see Constable and Narkle.

But I guess us getting away with using PEDs is more likely than us going for elite runners.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Very much doubt that. He signed a contract in 2017 to take him 2019, and then a 1 year extension.

You cannot honestly claim without more evidence that the Cats highest paid player was a 33 year old who hadn't finished in the top 10 of the B&F that year and had signed on for his retirement year basically. No club would.

The extension was also announced in October 2019 - really reckon Taylor would have waited that long with that sort of money on the table?

Of course it doesn't mean the Cats *have* to be over the cap, but it's a very out there claim to make on your behalf.

Back