List Mgmt. "Gen" profile of the Adelaide Board

Which Gen are you?

• The Greatest Generation! (pre 1946)

• Boomer! (1946-1964)

• Gen X! (1965-1980)

• Gen Y! (Millennials) (1981-1996

• Gen Z! (1997-2010)

• Alpha / I should be in school! (2011-)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I had 'Computers for Dummies' in this era. All I remember from it is 'SX stands for STINKS. Only get DX'.
Yep. I looked this up yesterday and apparently the processor had a 16bit interface whereas the DX version was 32bit. It makes sense though, my cousin was always a bit ghetto.

We didn't get our first PC until years later. It was Pentium II 233 Mhz with Windows 95. It came with a free copy of Age of Empires.

Yep. I looked this up yesterday and apparently the processor had a 16bit interface whereas the DX version was 32bit. It makes sense though, my cousin was always a bit ghetto.

We didn't get our first PC until years later. It was Pentium II 233 Mhz with Windows 95. It came with a free copy of Age of Empires.
I think our first Pentium was bought second hand in a full tower case from some office. My dad still has the case in the shed, it could substitute for a desk leg.

Just on the abacus: I brought one back from China in 1984. I figured I remembered enough about how they worked, to figure it out, so I sat down with the cricket score in the newspaper and added it up on the abacus.

The total didn't match. I tried again, same answer, didn't match the newspaper.

So I pulled out a calculator. Got the same answer as the abacus.

The newspaper was wrong :tongueoutv1:

Enjoying the nostalgia in this thread.

Was born in the 80s, so as a kid I remember the excitement around the Adelaide Grand Prix before it was “stolen” in the mid 90s which would split the early from the late Gen Y. Some of my friends had a few days off due to the noise, but my school wasn’t quite close enough for this to apply. Would love to play a modern racer with this circuit included.
In my school the year 5's always got to go on an excursion to the GP on the Thursday and Friday. My older sister got to sit in an F1 car and do other cool stuff. The year I would've got to go was the year it moved to Melbourne. Still dirty about it.

Enjoying the nostalgia in this thread.

Was born in the 80s, so as a kid I remember the excitement around the Adelaide Grand Prix before it was “stolen” in the mid 90s which would split the early from the late Gen Y. Some of my friends had a few days off due to the noise, but my school wasn’t quite close enough for this to apply. Would love to play a modern racer with this circuit included.

i can remember in 87, my dad got a a couple gold passes on pit straight for the Friday, so i got the day off school, we decided to go visit my dads cousin who was racing formula ford at the time, the old man meet some work friends of his who were in a corporate box, needless to say i didn't see much of my dad for the rest of the day other than him coming down to check if i was ok and if i needed anything

I left the 1995 Bon Jovi closing concert early to go home and read Hyper magazine. I believe it was the issue about Heretic or Hexen. No regrets.

Still remember being angry at Schumacher taking out Damon Hill to win the title in dirty fashion.
Hyper magazine....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Just on the abacus: I brought one back from China in 1984. I figured I remembered enough about how they worked, to figure it out, so I sat down with the cricket score in the newspaper and added it up on the abacus.

The total didn't match. I tried again, same answer, didn't match the newspaper.

So I pulled out a calculator. Got the same answer as the abacus.

The newspaper was wrong :tongueoutv1:
Wouldn't be the first time News Ltd were wrong.....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Anyone remember the school dental clinic? Some poor maimed kid would walk into your classroom with blood and drool dripping from the wadding after having a tooth ripped out trying to talk and sounding like John Merrick, they’d hand the teacher a piece of paper with the name of the next victim to go into the chair, everyone would sit in pending horror it was them, rinse and repeat throughout the day.

Anyone remember the school dental clinic? Some poor maimed kid would walk into your classroom with blood and drool dripping from the wadding after having a tooth ripped out trying to talk and sounding like John Merrick, they’d hand the teacher a piece of paper with the name of the next victim to go into the chair, everyone would sit in pending horror it was them, rinse and repeat throughout the day.

i remember them, my first primary school had one, it was a separate building at the back of the school where the screams couldn't be heard

Jones in the fast lane was gold

hands up if you finished the BMX track for California Games (I did! ).

I was a big Civilisation 1 and 2 player as well.

I think I stopped playing computer games regularly around Unreal Tournament - Half Life 2 period. games got less about game play more about graphics.

Jones was a great game, can’t recall anything being similar to it.

First PC was a 486 with Windows 3.1, although was always more comfortable with DOS after learning how to use the command prompt. Can remember playing Civilization without mouse support and having no idea what to do, free “shareware” classics like Commander Keen and Wolfenstein 3d. PC magazines at the time came with “cover disks” with free software that would get shared around. At some point games started getting bigger, so we were forced to learn about compression software like ARJ and PKUNZIP to span games over multiple disks. For me, the greatest game of those times, was the point and click classic Sam & Max.

Moving into the Windows95 era and beyond, the RTS genre was taking off and I can remember going on an interstate school trip and being exposed to the wonders of multiplayer C&C and Warcraft 2. A family friend who helped us with PC stuff also passed on a few interesting games, both of which I later found out to be emulated. That led me down the particular sinkhole, drifting away from consoles and skipping the PS1/2 gen. Being late to the internet and slow 56k dial up probably contributed and ROMS files were small and easy to come by. The game translation scene was growing meaning overseas titled games could finally be played, and at the same time arcade standards like CPS2 was being decrypted which replaced the dying arcade scene that I'd missed.

Jones was a great game, can’t recall anything being similar to it.

First PC was a 486 with Windows 3.1, although was always more comfortable with DOS after learning how to use the command prompt. Can remember playing Civilization without mouse support and having no idea what to do, free “shareware” classics like Commander Keen and Wolfenstein 3d. PC magazines at the time came with “cover disks” with free software that would get shared around. At some point games started getting bigger, so we were forced to learn about compression software like ARJ and PKUNZIP to span games over multiple disks. For me, the greatest game of those times, was the point and click classic Sam & Max.

Moving into the Windows95 era and beyond, the RTS genre was taking off and I can remember going on an interstate school trip and being exposed to the wonders of multiplayer C&C and Warcraft 2. A family friend who helped us with PC stuff also passed on a few interesting games, both of which I later found out to be emulated. That led me down the particular sinkhole, drifting away from consoles and skipping the PS1/2 gen. Being late to the internet and slow 56k dial up probably contributed and ROMS files were small and easy to come by. The game translation scene was growing meaning overseas titled games could finally be played, and at the same time arcade standards like CPS2 was being decrypted which replaced the dying arcade scene that I'd missed.
C & C and Warcraft were excellent games, Red Alert was fanastic as well. Starcraft was the peak of that Genre I reckon.

my first computer was a 386, knew all the dos commands etc. Parents weren't keen on computers nor kids experimenting so didn't get much further than that!

Sam and Max was great, there was a fair genre of that kind of game though - did you ever play Monkey Island games? I have to say, my favourite of the genre was Day of the Tentacle

some other games I used to enjoy were the Kings Quest and Space Quest games which were time consuming and awesome.

Saved up and bought LucasArts archive volume 1 with pocket money when we first got a CD drive. I always liked LA games more than random death Sierra games. Remember playing SQ 2 and dying within 1 minute from picking up a piece of metal.
C & C and Warcraft were excellent games, Red Alert was fanastic as well. Starcraft was the peak of that Genre I reckon.

my first computer was a 386, knew all the dos commands etc. Parents weren't keen on computers nor kids experimenting so didn't get much further than that!

Sam and Max was great, there was a fair genre of that kind of game though - did you ever play Monkey Island games? I have to say, my favourite of the genre was Day of the Tentacle

some other games I used to enjoy were the Kings Quest and Space Quest games which were time consuming and awesome.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone remember the game skifree

Oh yes! We had a dental clinic at our school. Also the school nurse (replete with white uniform, red cape and white hat).

Yup. I swear I have fillings that I’ve never needed. Just practise for the school dental clinic dentist.

Oh yes! We had a dental clinic at our school. Also the school nurse (replete with white uniform, red cape and white hat).
Our school nurse at high school was useless I got knocked out and concussed badly at lunch time playing footy and she told my Dad oh he's fine, four hours later I was in ICU nearly in a coma. Still can't remember a thing about that day

Back