List Mgmt. "Gen" profile of the Adelaide Board

Which Gen are you?

• The Greatest Generation! (pre 1946)

• Boomer! (1946-1964)

• Gen X! (1965-1980)

• Gen Y! (Millennials) (1981-1996

• Gen Z! (1997-2010)

• Alpha / I should be in school! (2011-)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm born in '87 and there's quite a big difference with what experiences I had through school vs someone born '81 or '82. It's all a whole lot of garbage really.

yeah i get you

It would probably be better to group them into blocks of who went to high school together and what was happening at that time - i think that's when someone goes through their biggest change in terms of their identity and what is important to them

By the time I finished school in 2001, there were some kids with mobile phones, but not everyone *certainly not me* and for the most part they were limited to texting parents and playing snake - With 5 years I'm sure that is completely different - There is also a major demarcation with the internet and whether or not it was widespread at home or not when you went through school

kids in 84 / 85 would probably be the last generation to have to call the landline of your crush and hope to god their parents didn't answer - You're only 3 years younger than me, is that something you had to do or had mobiles become widespread by that point already?

Definitely got nothing in common with kids born in 1994 and and finishing school in 2012 in that sense

yeah i get you

It would probably be better to group them into blocks of who went to high school together and what was happening at that time - i think that's when someone goes through their biggest change in terms of their identity and what is important to them

By the time I finished school in 2001, there were some kids with mobile phones, but not everyone *certainly not me* and for the most part they were limited to texting parents and playing snake - With 5 years I'm sure that is completely different - There is also a major demarcation with the internet and whether or not it was widespread at home or not when you went through school

kids in 84 / 85 would probably be the last generation to have to call the landline of your crush and hope to god their parents didn't answer - You're only 3 years younger than me, is that something you had to do or had mobiles become widespread by that point already?

Definitely got nothing in common with kids born in 1994 and and finishing school in 2012 in that sense
I finished school in 2004. I was fortunate enough to have internet and computers from the mid-90s. Definitely called a crush on landline in late 90's early 00's. Also remember doing 3-way chat with friends around that time too. Had a mobile phone in late high-school (2003/04) which was a Nokia 3310 iirc.

My brother is 5 yrs younger than me so born in 92. There is definite differences there as he started high-school in 2005 I think. So mobiles and internet far more widespread.

I finished school in 2004. I was fortunate enough to have internet and computers from the mid-90s. Definitely called a crush on landline in late 90's early 00's. Also remember doing 3-way chat with friends around that time too. Had a mobile phone in late high-school (2003/04) which was a Nokia 3310 iirc.

My brother is 5 yrs younger than me so born in 92. There is definite differences there as he started high-school in 2005 I think. So mobiles and internet far more widespread.

The early days of the internet were pretty fun.

Yahoo games, MSN Messenger, ebaum's world, etc.

SP: ”Hi, is (object of my desires) there?
Father: “Who’s speaking?”
SP: “It’s Slippery Pete”
Father: “Oh, right. I hear you’re planning on taking my daughter out this Friday night?”
SP: “Yes, sir, that is correct.”
Father: ”And where are you going?”
SP: “Just to the movies, sir.“
Father: “And you won’t be touching her during that movie, will you?”
SP: “No, but I can’t guarantee she won’t be touching me.”
Father: *click*

Born in 82. Technically Gen Y, identify more as Gen X though. Anyone else on the borderline like this?

96, as the username suggests. Which means, depending on who you listen to, I'm either one of the last of Gen Y, one of the first of Gen Z, or one of the intermediate group sometimes referred to as ''Zillenials''.

I really don't know where to place myself, TBH. Don't quite remember 9/11, which is something of a Millennial touchstone, but I used VHS as a kid and had a childhood where the internet wasn't yet so all-encompassing, which distinguishes me from much of Gen Z, so...

Doesn't matter at all, of course- there's not a great deal of (or any?) science in the whole generation breakdown thing.

Flash games, Strongbad, YTMND, mIRC ...

Finding a crush who also used MSN Messenger was gold

I spent a fair bit of time chatting up a girl who later admitted she was going out with AFL superstar Lachlan Veale lol.

Firmly in Gen Y yet do not associate with most of what they have in that table. I consider my upbringing more to be the CD discman era than iPods. My older siblings already had BMX bikes. Also weird putting in cars that were released in that generation. Like yeah, they came out in those years but we're talking about people born in those years. No one in my generation was buying a brand new Prius in their teens. Everyone was buying VL Commodores, Sigmas and Magnas.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wouldn't hire whoever that company was to do any research on Gen Y.

Definitely called a crush on landline in late 90's early 00's.

My now wife but then just crushing friend called me during the first week of the school summer holidays between Year 11 and 12. During holidays I pretty much became nocturnal, staying up til 4-6am playing Nintendo/Playstation or chatting on MSN then sleeping all day. She wasn't aware of that. She rang me after lunch, around 1 or 2pm, and got my mum who responded to "Hi, is SugarShane there?", with "Yeah I'll just go wake him up."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is worse than entering your mid late teens and facing an AIDS pandemic and The Family murders......apologies to those that were sent off to war.....ok ok, maybe some things are worse but nothing that you younger generations have faced.
Serious not serious very serious.

Nothing is worse than entering your mid late teens and facing an AIDS pandemic and The Family murders......apologies to those that were sent off to war.....ok ok, maybe some things are worse but nothing that you younger generations have faced.
Serious not serious very serious.

I can remember when Libya was bombed in 1986, it came over the loudspeakers in each classroom and I though WW3 had started

Biggest social upheaval from my youth was when a girl toppled off the balcony at the Royal Hotel at Kent Town. Turned out that she was underage. Awful that she died of course but also meant a crackdown on fake ID's which was devastating

Gen Y born in 86. Just starting to get to this point now.

abe-simpson.gif

Okay boomer
Funny thing is I don’t really relate to the boomer generation. Perhaps it was because I married young and travelled and had a career before I had a child? Or that as a 40 year old, when most of my friends were preparing for empty nests, I had a newborn and was soon heading off to Wiggles concerts? 🤣.

I'm an early 88 baby, I fully experienced the rise of technology.

Went from boombox> walkman > discman > iPod > Spotify on phone
my household even had a record player but it was not allowed to be touched or played with.

In primary school we had 1 computer per classroom and in High School had computer rooms with enough computers for each student

I still remember my childhood best friends landline numbers I use to call to see if they could play with me.
In year 8, 5 out of 30 kids had mobile phones. Year 9, 20 out of 30 kids and by year 10 everyone had one

I was always behind the 8 ball when it came to technology I was always one of the last few to get the technology and then the cool in thing would change like 4 months after I finally got it.

Gen Y born in 86. Just starting to get to this point now.

abe-simpson.gif

I blinked and all of a sudden the edgy, cool music I listened to in High School and my early 20's (and still do now) became cringeworthy dad-rock to the younger generation.

Last edited:
I'm an early 88 baby, I fully experienced the rise of technology.

Went from boombox> walkman > discman > iPod > Spotify on phone
my household even had a record player but it was not allowed to be touched or played with.

In primary school we had 1 computer per classroom and in High School had computer rooms with enough computers for each student

I still remember my childhood best friends landline numbers I use to call to see if they could play with me.
In year 8, 5 out of 30 kids had mobile phones. Year 9, 20 out of 30 kids and by year 10 everyone had one

I was always behind the 8 ball when it came to technology I was always one of the last few to get the technology and then the cool in thing would change like 4 months after I finally got it.

85er here but much the same. My family were behind on a lot of technology apart from PCs as my dad had an interest in them. As a kid the only video game console I owned was an Atari/ColecoVision. Then I got a GameBoy which held me over until the N64.

For computers we had an old school Amstrad with 2 5.25" floppy disk drives and a CGA (4 colour) monitor. They got upgraded pretty regularly so most of my early gaming was Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, other Win 3.1 games, etc.

Still remember the day Dad brought home a plug-in CD player extension for our Vinyl/Cassette/AMFM stereo system.

But yeah, 1 computer per class in primary school if you were lucky, and 1 dedicated computer room.

85er here but much the same. My family were behind on a lot of technology apart from PCs as my dad had an interest in them. As a kid the only video game console I owned was an Atari/ColecoVision. Then I got a GameBoy which held me over until the N64.

For computers we had an old school Amstrad with 2 5.25" floppy disk drives and a CGA (4 colour) monitor. They got upgraded pretty regularly so most of my early gaming was Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, other Win 3.1 games, etc.

Still remember the day Dad brought home a plug-in CD player extension for our Vinyl/Cassette/AMFM stereo system.

But yeah, 1 computer per class in primary school if you were lucky, and 1 dedicated computer room.
ColecoVision for the win!

Same age. I went from private school that had a Mac we got from the Coles docket promo and various PCs to a public school with Amstrad CPCs lol.

I also had one of those Ataris with 100 games built in and was mad jealous of everyone with the Mega Drive or SNES. Finally saved up and got a PS1 in year 10. Haha.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back