Gender balanced music festival line ups

Remove this Banner Ad

LGBT musicians and black musicians have led the way for the most interesting music for several decades now. An "all minority" music festival lineup would probably have the best lineup at an Australian festival in years, and would have the added benefit of upsetting insecure straight white men. All positives, no negatives, really.

Maybe some “insecure, straight white men” would just like to listen to some music by other insecure, straight white men, and for once not have PC and other affirmative actions thrust upon them? There’s plenty of festivals where you can listen exclusively to black, female or LGBT artists until your heart is content. Of course we know it only becomes a problem when it’s exclusively a “straight, white male” thing

If it means The Wombats have to be dropped from a festival lineup then I'm definitely all for it.

LGBT musicians and black musicians have led the way for the most interesting music for several decades now. An "all minority" music festival lineup would probably have the best lineup at an Australian festival in years, and would have the added benefit of upsetting insecure straight white men. All positives, no negatives, really.

I don't think anyone doubts the music but the issue is availability at the right time to book a festival.

If you think booking a festival lineup is as easy as picking your favourite bands sending through an email and waiting for them to turn up you are clueless.

The Bluesfest lineup was diverse, plus it was the first of at least half a dozen announcements, it was ridiculous for them to be targeted. I accept their response to the criticism was ordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back