Gender Equality Action Plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Needed to keep both sides on side - very poor political judgement.

I've heard you say that before and it is an extremely naive analysis of the situation. The Ballarat stadium was Labor Govt policy. You don't take their policy and run to the opposition and ask them to match the deal, it doesn't work like that. If both sides are promising the exact same thing, then neither gets any electoral benefit and they may as well agree to scrap the whole plan. Which is pretty much what was threatened if we spilt the beans before it was officially announced.

Not sure if this whole post is intended as some clever use of sarcasm but if not, you just destroyed your entire argument in the last sentence.
Just joking. I did find it somewhat humorous that they were convinced that a wealthy young man in his mid 20's would be desperate to move back in to the parental home.

Just joking. I did find it somewhat humorous that they were convinced that a wealthy young man in his mid 20's would be desperate to move back in to the parental home.

He was allegedly shopping for real estate in Elwood as I recall. Elwood being significantly closer to Moorabbin than it is to the city... at least to the chattering classes who never venture north of South Road.

I've heard you say that before and it is an extremely naive analysis of the situation. The Ballarat stadium was Labor Govt policy. You don't take their policy and run to the opposition and ask them to match the deal, it doesn't work like that. If both sides are promising the exact same thing, then neither gets any electoral benefit and they may as well agree to scrap the whole plan. Which is pretty much what was threatened if we spilt the beans before it was officially announced.
Wow. Sounds like we dodged a bullet there

He was allegedly shopping for real estate in Elwood as I recall. Elwood being significantly closer to Moorabbin than it is to the city... at least to the chattering classes who never venture north of South Road.
:Dits like nothing exists North or West of the river to them......

:Dits like nothing exists North or West of the river to them......

It's true. I knew a guy who used to consider anything north or west of the Alphington paper mill as western suburbs. The paper mill doesn't exist anymore, it's just a pile of asbestos rubble so I'm not sure what is his new reference point for ground zero.

It remains to be seen whether the Ballarat Stadium proves to be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for the Western Footsdogs.
They need something that's for sure as they're totally reliant on Pokies money. I loved the breathtaking hypocrisy of Easton Woods recent anti gambling Twitter rant. Newsflash Easton..... time to think about a new club as gambling money pays your wages.......

It's true. I knew a guy who used to consider anything north or west of the Alphington paper mill as western suburbs. The paper mill doesn't exist anymore, it's just a pile of asbestos rubble so I'm not sure what is his new reference point for ground zero.
Typical insular Eastern suburbs attitude...... they wouldn't venture across the West Gate without bullet proof glass on their cars...

You are assuming a lot from my comment. I have done a fair bit of politically lobbying and advocacy work. You never ignore the opposition. This was well discussed at the time, including in the media, and JB and co did not handle it well at the time. All eggs in the one basket is never smart. Past history now and I do agree with your sentiment re we are better off without Ballarat.

You are assuming a lot from my comment. I have done a fair bit of politically lobbying and advocacy work. You never ignore the opposition. This was well discussed at the time, including in the media, and JB and co did not handle it well at the time. All eggs in the one basket is never smart. Past history now and I do agree with your sentiment re we are better off without Ballarat.

It was not discussed at the time, it was discussed after the fact. A lot of "I told you so" once the election went the wrong way. NMFC had absolutely no leverage in this matter. NMFC was a pawn.

It was not discussed at the time, it was discussed after the fact. A lot of "I told you so" once the election went the wrong way. NMFC had absolutely no leverage in this matter. NMFC was a pawn.
Maybe so. But we left ourselves open by poor political decisions in my humble opinion. We plonked the lot on the side that lost. We needed a plan B and we didn't have one. I do agree that it is easy to criticise once the goose is cooked and maybe some of the criticism (there was plenty) was overstated. Lobbying/advocacy to me is all about keeping both sides engaged - we didn't. Anyway, lets agree to disagree. I respect your views.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this whole post is intended as some clever use of sarcasm but if not, you just destroyed your entire argument in the last sentence.
Kelly, St Kilda and traffic is an in joke since a saints poster came in last year trying to convince us that Josh's family living closer to their training base was actually a big deal.

He had screenshots of google maps and everything.

I miss the paper mill. It’s where I had my first grown up job out of school. Shoulda kept the big #6 machine building and integrated it into the estate.

Kelly, St Kilda and traffic is an in joke since a saints poster came in last year trying to convince us that Josh's family living closer to their training base was actually a big deal.

Same club that 'lost interest in Fyfe'.

Wasn't there something about his dog too? Or was that GWS?

here is some gender equality of old:
credittravistation.jpeg

I would encourage industries to keep extensive data on pay rates, I found the accounting field to be one of the most progressive fields which used to be dominated by men, it is also an industry where it is easy to classify workers based on duties/responsibilities. Women are now approximately 60% of graduates in accounting so they have been making up more than half of the incoming numbers for a fair amount of time. They also are very progressive in terms of encouraging the promotion of women and of enforcing pay rates to tiers, it works well because the industry generally doesn't pay you overtime so you have to work your arse off to get in front of the queue to get a promotion, but it is harder to find a pay differential due to amount of hours worked alone.

There is still a staggering differential in terms of a broad analysis, something like women only earning about 70% of what male accountants do.

Women often excel at rising through the lower tiers, the kind of work you can do without a ridiculous amount of overtime but women make less than 25% of equity partners in all of the international firms, some of them don't even crack 15% and it isn't a lack of desire from the firms as they are sensitive to the equality image.

It is just the nature of the work and the time investment required the higher up the ladder you go. They are nowhere near parity in pay even though there is no discrimination within each tier. I had a number of female managers in my time but it was a complete sausage-fest up the top and they bent over backwards to try and accommodate a lot of gifted female accountants who weren't prepared to sell their souls to make it to partner and I empathise with them because I had no desire either.

I know what people want in terms of parity in my field and in terms of the numbers, the dollars... the industry pays that to bribe you to basically surrender your life to be the slave to a corporation, it isn't a bingo jackpot you get from just racking up time doing 8-5 jobs, that 40 hour job has to turn into 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100+ hours a week if you want to be successful. Each ladder your climb there is a different box you mark off your life and you eventually get to a point where someone isn't prepared to go any further for a variety of reasons.

The money is just a reimbursement for time lost, time you will never get back. If people understood the sacrifice required they wouldn't wish it of their worst enemy yet the industry and the world at large is pushing women to go down this path to make themselves feel better for some bizarre reason.

The closer we have got to parity, the more unhappy women have become, I don't think the people who push for parity care one iota what the human cost is for the people they want to make up the numbers. I'd be ecstatic to see less men flush their life down the toilet, but it pains me that it will come at the expense of women who society is going to thrust in this wood chipper of a social experiment. They don't care what comes out the other end.
This is when gender equality studies are flawed. When you have to work 60 plus hours a week to get ahead and and reach higher pay scales, women are disadvantaged. I'd guess most women would choose to have family time over corporate success relative to hours put in.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is when gender equality studies are flawed. When you have to work 60 plus hours a week to get ahead and and reach higher pay scales, women are disadvantaged. I'd guess most women would choose to have family time over corporate success relative to hours put in.

It is even a trend with single women, many women are just less likely to choose a myopic focus in life, they tend to make better balance of life decisions, a lot of women who do achieve a high status often step back and downgrade roles or move jobs which requires less time investment.

While anecdotal, of the women I know, the vast majority are tertiary level educated, it includes mbas, phds, doctorates, many years of experience at the highest level, etc. It doesn't matter how career motivated, about 80% of them hit the wall somewhere between 30 and 40 and decide they don't want to go further or even want to go back to a lower grade where there were happier and more content. The female mid-life crisis tends to be about a re-focus on life balance, they will often make a radical (usually wise) decision to make themselves happy, change career path (often dramatically), decide to have kids before it's too late, find a health life balance. Guys buy a car or acquire other things, like a wife, kids, etc which are status symbols for those who sacrifice everything for career but aren't prepared to invest the time. The human cost is enormous, I know very few people at the top end that are happily married, that haven't cheated or have spent more than a token amount of time with their kids. Men in general don't make great life choices and the system often pushes them to stay focused on career.

I think of late there has been some momentum behind equality meaning less about women mimicking men who make terrible life choice decisions and there being some effort behind looking to what is a healthy life style. It is quite scary just how many very fit and healthy career focused men just drop dead within a year after retiring, I guess it is a bit like career prisoners who just can't function in society any longer without the rigid system of being told what to do constantly who offend again just to go back to where they are comfortable again, corporations don't want you when you are old though.

You'd have to ask Josh Kellys Dog . I think he'd know the full story on that one.
:D I'm surprised that Ralphy didn't mention it in that article....Perhaps a follow up interview piece with the dog is in the pipeline ...We probably need to add a canine agility course to the mooted Arden St expansion. No stone sound be left unturned in the pursuit of these premium free agents....Plus there should be room now we don't need Dustys tattoo parlour.....

It is even a trend with single women, many women are just less likely to choose a myopic focus in life, they tend to make better balance of life decisions, a lot of women who do achieve a high status often step back and downgrade roles or move jobs which requires less time investment.

While anecdotal, of the women I know, the vast majority are tertiary level educated, it includes mbas, phds, doctorates, many years of experience at the highest level, etc. It doesn't matter how career motivated, about 80% of them hit the wall somewhere between 30 and 40 and decide they don't want to go further or even want to go back to a lower grade where there were happier and more content. The female mid-life crisis tends to be about a re-focus on life balance, they will often make a radical (usually wise) decision to make themselves happy, change career path (often dramatically), decide to have kids before it's too late, find a health life balance. Guys buy a car or acquire other things, like a wife, kids, etc which are status symbols for those who sacrifice everything for career but aren't prepared to invest the time. The human cost is enormous, I know very few people at the top end that are happily married, that haven't cheated or have spent more than a token amount of time with their kids. Men in general don't make great life choices and the system often pushes them to stay focused on career.

I think of late there has been some momentum behind equality meaning less about women mimicking men who make terrible life choice decisions and there being some effort behind looking to what is a healthy life style. It is quite scary just how many very fit and healthy career focused men just drop dead within a year after retiring, I guess it is a bit like career prisoners who just can't function in society any longer without the rigid system of being told what to do constantly who offend again just to go back to where they are comfortable again, corporations don't want you when you are old though.
I appreciate your perspective which is severely overlooked on these ideologies. I don't even know where these ideas have originated from and gained such traction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back