Current Gene Bristow Trial - Backpacker abduction SA (again)

Remove this Banner Ad

A man has gone on trial in Adelaide's District Court accused of abducting and raping a young European backpacker who he held captive in an old pig shed for two days.

Gene Charles Bristow, 54, pleaded not guilty to aggravated kidnapping, rape and indecent assault.

In opening the trial, prosecutor Michael Foundas said Mr Bristow lured the 24-year-old backpacker to his Meningie property, south-east of Adelaide, by responding to an advertisement she posted on the website Gumtree looking for farm work.

He said the woman received a response offering her work feeding and caring for calves on a farm near Murray Bridge, purportedly operated by a company called "Genesis".

The job offered to pay $20 an hour with "flexible working arrangements" and "free accommodation".

Mr Foundas told the court arrangements were made for her to be collected from Murray Bridge by a company employee called Max or Mark.

"It's the prosecution's case … that there was no farming job, no company called Genesis and no employees named Max or Mark," he said.
"Rather, this was a premeditated and thought out plan being executed by the accused Mr Gene Bristow.​
"A plan to lure a young female backpacker to his farm where the unlucky victim would be held against her will and sexually abused by him."

The court heard the woman was met at the Murray Bridge Visitor Information Centre by a man who introduced himself as Mark and was driven to a property in Meningie in an old red ute which had a personalised licence plate "Gene01".

"On the prosecution's case the man who introduced himself as Mark and picked her up, the only man she dealt with, the man she later identifies in a police identification procedure, was in fact the accused — Mr Bristow," Mr Foundas said.

It is alleged that instead of taking the most direct route from Murray Bridge to his 40-hectare property at Meningie along the Princes Highway, the accused went a "back way" through the towns of Wellington and Narrung.

Mr Foundas told the jury that the accused made the drive take twice as long to give a false impression to the young backpacker about the remoteness of the farm.

"It also meant the accused was able to enter the town of Meningie and his farming property by a back entrance without having to come through the Meningie town centre and risk the possibility of being seen by locals — being seen driving with an unfamiliar, young woman in the passenger seat of his ute," he said.

"It's also the prosecution's case that by taking this route the accused didn't have to pass the residential building on his own property where his wife, son or son's girlfriend might be."

Victim told 'she wasn't the first to be taken'

On the prosecution's case, Mr Bristow took the woman to an "old, dirty pig shed" which was at the back of his property where he pressed a replica gun against her shoulder and told her not to move.

He then allegedly tied her hands behind her back with cable ties, shackled her feet with chains and stripped her naked before sexually assaulting her multiple times.

Mr Foundas said the accused told the woman he was working in collaboration with others and that she was "lucky" to be held captive by him because others would treat her worse.

"He told her he was the 'nice one', he brought her food and drinks and later on even a book and some bug spray," Mr Foundas said.

"He told her that she had to be good, she had to love him or the others would come and they would hit her and cut her.

"He told her she wasn't the first to be taken and that he had quotas to meet and that some girls are pumped full of drugs."​
The jury was told the woman managed to break free and used a laptop concealed in her luggage to send distress messages on Facebook to SA Police who started searching the area.

The court heard she then re-shackled herself because the accused had threatened to kill her if she tried to escape.

The prosecution alleged it was the police presence in Meningie that led the accused to unchain the woman and drive her back to Murray Bridge where he checked her into a motel and left.

The court heard there was evidence the accused had been trying to lure backpackers to his property under the guise of farm work for a number of weeks and that he targeted women travelling on their own without a car.

Defence lawyer Nick Healy told the jury there was no dispute that the woman was at his client's property or that she stayed overnight in the pig shed.

But he said at no time was she held against her will and that there was no sexual contact between her and Mr Bristow.

"The events as alleged by the complainant — obviously she will be the most important person in this trial — are an invention that simply did not take place," he said.

The trial is expected to run for 10 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...sed-of-kidnap-and-rape-of-backpacker/10782548

I know that everyone is entitled to a defence but, Christ, it sickens me reading these cases where a lawyer basically says of someone who's likely gone through an incredibly traumatic ordeal: "Nah, she's just making it up, mate." How would you sleep at night? Also, exhibit A on why victims of sexual assault and abuse don't come forward so often. Imagine going through something like that and then having to sit through a trial where someone argumentatively posits that you made it all up.

I don't know what the answer is. As I say, everyone is entitled to a defence but it really feels like we need our smartest minds figuring out ways we can ensure justice (for the accuser and the accused) while not rubbing rape victims' faces in the mud.

I know that everyone is entitled to a defence but, Christ, it sickens me reading these cases where a lawyer basically says of someone who's likely gone through an incredibly traumatic ordeal: "Nah, she's just making it up, mate." How would you sleep at night? Also, exhibit A on why victims of sexual assault and abuse don't come forward so often. Imagine going through something like that and then having to sit through a trial where someone argumentatively posits that you made it all up.

I don't know what the answer is. As I say, everyone is entitled to a defence but it really feels like we need our smartest minds figuring out ways we can ensure justice (for the accuser and the accused) while not rubbing rape victims' faces in the mud.
The other part of targetting backpackers means this return is a % game

It was part of Milats plan (distance v confusion of backpackers) and also the previous Salt Creek kidnapper

The other part of targetting backpackers means this return is a % game

It was part of Milats plan (distance v confusion of backpackers) and also the previous Salt Creek kidnapper

I hope the police have gone right over his property and beyond into examining all his internet history and who his contacts might be. He's too cunning and I believe it wasn't the first time.

I hope the police have gone right over his property and beyond into examining all his internet history and who his contacts might be. He's too cunning and I believe it wasn't the first time.

The amount of planning that's apparently gone into it indicates he's either FULL of rat cunning or has previous experience, for sure. Whenever someone of his age is looked at for something like this your mind always wanders to how many previous crimes they may have committed. It may be a completely baseless idea of mine that facts/stats could dispute but common sense would say that someone capable of these sorts of crimes doesn't start them late in life. They have to have been, at the least, building up to it with other crimes.

The amount of planning that's apparently gone into it indicates he's either FULL of rat cunning or has previous experience, for sure. Whenever someone of his age is looked at for something like this your mind always wanders to how many previous crimes they may have committed. It may be a completely baseless idea of mine that facts/stats could dispute but common sense would say that someone capable of these sorts of crimes doesn't start them late in life. They have to have been, at the least, building up to it with other crimes.

Agree, he's got form somewhere. Must have heard on the grapevine police were all over Meningie and he went into panicked damage control tossing evidence all over the property. Having found all this, her account stacks up.

"They (the jury) also heard her mobile phone was found in a rainwater tank, with the fake pistol dumped in a paddock and the shackles at the bottom of a well near the pig shed.

According to The Advertiser, police also found cable ties, including one containing the DNA of Bristow and the victim, in a wheelie bin.

https://www.news.com.au/national/so...e/news-story/730e2df24cef10bed4011276c3bccd0f

Jesus, it's only an hour (if that) from Salt Creek where the other attack happened. Wonder if it gave him any ideas...

Jesus, it's only an hour (if that) from Salt Creek where the other attack happened. Wonder if it gave him any ideas...
From memory the Salt Creek trial was either going on or had just finished at the time the backpacker was reported missing.

It is amazing that they are releasing the name of the accused in South Australia. Normally there is some suppression order that prevents the name being shown as there was with Salt Creek.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The victim has been in the witness box today, good for her in coming back to say what he did to her because he would have done it again. Verdict expected to be handed down next Friday.

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/02/08/14/42/backpacker-thought-she-would-die-in-sa

These were the things that struck me from the article.

"He told me several times that he would shoot me if I would run off," she said.

"He told me that the snakes were very dangerous there and that they would bite you."

The following morning, she said Bristow told her he could let her go because his colleague had picked up another girl who could be her replacement.

Prosecutors say she was released later that day when Bristow checked her into a motel, and she was then discovered by police. "

Everyone except for Aussies is aware if how dangerous Australian snakes are. Being out in the bush with snakes would be almost as deadly as being shot in some foreigner's eyes.

It concerns me that firstly he had a colleague and secondly there was another girl picked up allegedly.

Being checked into a hotel is an unusual one. Has me totally confused.

Agree, there's red flags right through to indicate he had experience. Not the first time imo.

Booked her into a motel as part of a damage control exercise and to get her off not just his property but the roads and bus/train where she might be spotted by the police?

He knew the police may have been closing in on him. imo. He just didn't want to tell her they were swarming all over Meningie specifically probably looking for her.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...es-court-as-defence-questions-victim/10800474

In his cross-examination, Mr Bristow's lawyer Nick Healy said the backpacker was never held at the farm against her will.
"He never chained you up or restrained you in any way, he never sexually assaulted you in any way," he said.
"At no time did Mr Bristow tell you about these other people who would ship girls in shipping containers to Sydney or Melbourne.
"You have made up your evidence about being restrained and sexually assaulted."

Jesus. This is getting nasty.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...es-court-as-defence-questions-victim/10800474

In his cross-examination, Mr Bristow's lawyer Nick Healy said the backpacker was never held at the farm against her will.
"He never chained you up or restrained you in any way, he never sexually assaulted you in any way," he said.
"At no time did Mr Bristow tell you about these other people who would ship girls in shipping containers to Sydney or Melbourne.
"You have made up your evidence about being restrained and sexually assaulted."

Jesus. This is getting nasty.

Not to mention how she probably chose to stay in the pig shed overnight when there was better accommodation inside the house. It all makes sense now. I am surprised they haven't suggested that. Actually he did.

"Mr Healy said his client asked the backpacker if she was okay "to camp" in the shed.

"Your response was: 'I have stayed in worse places in my travels'," he told the court."

When asked if anybody knew of Bristow hiring a backpacker his son said NO
His argument kind of falls apart when he had attempted to hide evidence of the crime. If it had been some kind of affair you probably wouldn't be trying to hide things down the well.

A lot of other things don't really add up though which is probably understandable when someone is going through a traumatic experience.

Being checked into a hotel is an unusual one. Has me totally confused.

Defence lawyer denying any sexual contact had me wondering if/why no DNA and I didn't want to say what lengths he might have gone to trying to cover up. There's probably no shower facilities in a pig shed, there is in a motel.

The son's testifying against him absolutely destroys his defence. Can't imagine how it must feel to be confronted by the realisation your father is a rapist.

His son's testimony is devastating for the defence. They're probably all horrified to learn what was going on in the backyard.

Q: "Had a farmhand ever been employed on the farm?" Mr Foundas said.

A: "Never," David Bristow replied.

Q: "Were you aware whether anyone had ever advertised for a farmhand to work on the farm in the past?"

A: "Never."

Q: "Was there enough work in February, 2017 that actually required the assistance of a farm hand?"

A: "Absolutely not."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...dnapper-testifies-against-his-father/10804214

Remove this Banner Ad

Back