No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only dive and stay down if their next opponent is someone you need to win. It doesn't help you if they get suspended it helps their next opponent. It's a stupid system. Their suspension should start from the moment they play you next.

So if Hodge is going to retire, he should just go around smacking blokes as he can't get suspended?

This season is producing the most severe case of goldfish memory amongst supporters and commentators.

Nowhere is this more apparent than the Adelaide/Port 'reversal of fortunes' commentary. Just two weeks ago Port were Smashed (with a capital S) by Essendon. Pathetic result, everyone put a line through them. Adelaide had lost by a few goals to the Cats, but came out that same week and smashed the Saints.

Now, after two good wins against the Lions and the Pies (hardly earth-shattering opposition) Port are the darlings again with an unstoppable midfield who run and spread so well blah blah blah. While now Adelaide have apparently been worked out, weak midfield, overrated captain etc.

GWS are now the form team of the comp again - two weeks after losing to Carlton for christ's sake!

If I'd had any respect left for football journalism, I'd have lost it in the last two weeks. Pathetic how we need to gush over some teams and tut tut tut over others. Can we just accept that in this season that every team (except Brisbane) seems capable of playing pretty fantastic football? And likewise, every team has been worringly ordinary at times, too?

Oliver had nothing to gain staging or milking as it was halftime

It can't be described as either

What was he doing? Practising?

The TV camera angle didn't help Oliver but in others you can clearly see an elbow to the chin. Yeah it was weird kind of flop by Oliver, however he definitely got whacked.

The TV camera angle didn't help Oliver but in others you can clearly see an elbow to the chin. Yeah it was weird kind of flop by Oliver, however he definitely got whacked.
Yes and he staged the impact of the contact, I have no problem with a bit of acting where I do have a problem is how he's carried on since, needs to grow up the bloody sook.

It's a punishment for the player, not a reward for the team he offends against.
Really? REALLY? I KNOW what it's actually for. I was suggesting that if a player gets his Jaw broken like Oliver did hitting the ground on the weekend, and misses the second half, and his team loses should get something in return. Not just a punishment for the offending team but some sort of compensation for the victim's team. Imagine in 1989 if Brereton's injury had cost us a premiership and the only compensation to Hawthorn was Yeats misses 4 games in early 1990.

So if Hodge is going to retire, he should just go around smacking blokes as he can't get suspended?
What? That's the same for anyone retiring now. It's exactly what Matthew Lloyd did.

Has form. Did same thing which caused an all in v North earlier in the year. Flopped to the ground at a stoppage as if Higgins had clocked him one... rest of the match Higgins was targeted (which resulted in the non stop crap with Vince).

Was also the tool that didn't get up a for a week after Rioli bumped him rd 20 last year.

Needs to be taught a lesson the little upstart flog.

North LOL. Im surprised they're not making a huge play to recruit him then

This season is producing the most severe case of goldfish memory amongst supporters and commentators.

Nowhere is this more apparent than the Adelaide/Port 'reversal of fortunes' commentary. Just two weeks ago Port were Smashed (with a capital S) by Essendon. Pathetic result, everyone put a line through them. Adelaide had lost by a few goals to the Cats, but came out that same week and smashed the Saints.

Now, after two good wins against the Lions and the Pies (hardly earth-shattering opposition) Port are the darlings again with an unstoppable midfield who run and spread so well blah blah blah. While now Adelaide have apparently been worked out, weak midfield, overrated captain etc.

GWS are now the form team of the comp again - two weeks after losing to Carlton for christ's sake!

If I'd had any respect left for football journalism, I'd have lost it in the last two weeks. Pathetic how we need to gush over some teams and tut tut tut over others. Can we just accept that in this season that every team (except Brisbane) seems capable of playing pretty fantastic football? And likewise, every team has been worringly ordinary at times, too?

Melbourne this week. Although the Casey Players were impressive too.

So hard to stay under the radar but I think we can pull it off

No team is currently premiership standard when compared to previous years.

Main board likes to think our threepeat was during a soft patch with easy opponents but I'm not seeing better teams running around last year or this year

Main board likes to think our threepeat was during a soft patch with easy opponents but I'm not seeing better teams running around last year or this year

Exactly, when the Hawks have a down year, all the dud teams get a chance to shine.

Although no-one's actually shining right now!

It's all part of Eddie McGuire's "A week is long time in football" prophecy. It annoys me as well that the opinions of the so-called "experts" change like the wind. None of them have the balls to stand by a team when they're being beaten. They love to sound as though they're right.

And then there's John Ralph, but that's another story. We also have Damian Barrett .... an "award winning journalist" apparently. It just remains a mystery what the award was for, and who was silly enough to give it to him.

We've been through it all with the Hawks over the past 4-5 years. We win a few games, "Hawks are the best team in the AFL". Then we lose one, suddenly everyone has an opinion about our "obvious weaknesses". They're pathetic, which is why I've always said people on this forum offer way too much credence to the opinions of those who really don't matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But, but...Oliver's tough and hard, and brave as they come, just like the Geelong captain...

I don't care what people say, I would be ashamed of myself if I allowed a glancing contact put me on the ground like that. Maybe different if he was off balance at the time but he wasn't. Weak as water.

You know what really annoys me? This week it's Schofield ... a serviceable player, but certainly no star. The AFL decides to set an example, give him time because he made contact with the head which is low impact AT LEAST. The week before, a certain "star" and media favourite, tackled a player from behind, rammed his head into the turf with his elbow, but that's okay apparently.

The AFL think we're idiots, but we know what's going on.

You know what really annoys me? This week it's Schofield ... a serviceable player, but certainly no star. The AFL decides to set an example, give him time because he made contact with the head which is low impact AT LEAST. The week before, a certain "star" and media favourite, tackled a player from behind, rammed his head into the turf with his elbow, but that's okay apparently.

The AFL think we're idiots, but we know what's going on.

Don't worry Adelaide Hawk, the football karma bus ran right through that prick Selwood.

Whacked is overselling it a fair bit.

He got glanced and went down as his he copped a right hook from Mike Tyson.

What? That's the same for anyone retiring now. It's exactly what Matthew Lloyd did.

Lloyd got suspended the following week and finished his career in the grandstand?

If he only had to serve his suspension the next time he played Hawthorn as per your suggestion, he would have been able to play in that final despite what he did.

It's not exactly the same at all.

Whacked is overselling it a fair bit.

He got glanced and went down as his he copped a right hook from Mike Tyson.

The angle facing Oliver was the best. As you said, it looked as though he'd been punched by a world heavyweight boxer. You see the contact, then for no apparent reason at all, his eyes closed as if he was out cold and went down like a $20 hooker. One of the weakest things I've seen on a footy field and he should be ashamed. Oliver's only been around a short time but this isn't the first time he's done this. He's got the reputation of a flopper and it will work against him one day. Should change his surname from Oliver to Olivier.

I may have misread your post, because to me looked exactly the same in terms of him not serving out his sentence so he could strike people with abandon. (which is what you said Hodge could do on his retirement) I'm simply saying the system doesn't repay the game time loss to the team who loses a player through injury/concussion. It only punishes the culprit. Perhaps do time AND miss the next game against that team. I just don't like the idea of a scenario where a team loses because a plyer gets his jaw borken, and then they lose the following week because they still don't have their services. Meanwhile the guy gets suspended and his team lose the following week to a tram that puts the other team out of the finals.

I may have misread your post, because to me looked exactly the same in terms of him not serving out his sentence so he could strike people with abandon. (which is what you said Hodge could do on his retirement) I'm simply saying the system doesn't repay the game time loss to the team who loses a player through injury/concussion. It only punishes the culprit. Perhaps do time AND miss the next game against that team. I just don't like the idea of a scenario where a team loses because a plyer gets his jaw borken, and then they lose the following week because they still don't have their services. Meanwhile the guy gets suspended and his team lose the following week to a tram that puts the other team out of the finals.

I think he was saying that if a player didn't have to serve their suspension until the next time they played that particular team, then a player who knows he will retire at the end of the year could go about doing suspendable things every week safe in the knowledge that he won't be playing that team again as he's retiring anyway and therefore won't have to serve his suspension.

That was a horribly long sentence and I apologise if it doesn't make sense, I've just gotten off a flight to Toronto and am very tired!

The angle facing Oliver was the best. As you said, it looked as though he'd been punched by a world heavyweight boxer. You see the contact, then for no apparent reason at all, his eyes closed as if he was out cold and went down like a $20 hooker. One of the weakest things I've seen on a footy field and he should be ashamed. Oliver's only been around a short time but this isn't the first time he's done this. He's got the reputation of a flopper and it will work against him one day. Should change his surname from Oliver to Olivier.

Even Olivier would be ashamed of, and embarrassed by, acting like that!

Really? REALLY? I KNOW what it's actually for. I was suggesting that if a player gets his Jaw broken like Oliver did hitting the ground on the weekend, and misses the second half, and his team loses should get something in return. Not just a punishment for the offending team but some sort of compensation for the victim's team. Imagine in 1989 if Brereton's injury had cost us a premiership and the only compensation to Hawthorn was Yeats misses 4 games in early 1990.

Did you see what Brereton did to Yates in the H&A game that year. Yates was out for revenge,and got it at the first bounce.

Other teams are lucky GWS are being crippled otherwise the season would have been called off by now under the mercy rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back