No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only nine 2105 premiers in the team on Saturday: STRATTON, BREUST ,SMITH, SHIELS, GUNSTON, FRAWLEY, BURGOYNE, SCHOENMAKERS & PUOPOLO

Three listed as injured
Roughead, .............Nash
McEvoy, ................Pittonet
Birchall,.................Miles

Emergency
Duyrea ................. Worpel

Nine are gone replaced by

Gibson.............Burton
Hale................Ceglar
Hill..................Henderson
Hodge.............Hardwick
Lake................Brand
Lewis..............O'Meara
Mitchell............Mitchell
Rioli................Morrison
Suckling..........Impey

Horses for courses , a few replacements are an improvement, a few not.

Last edited:
I listened to Michael Christian's interview today. I was staggered to hear a comment when asked why certain punches weren't being suspended. He said, "Be careful what you wish for because if all punches were suspended it would mean carnage with all the players missing" .... or words to that effect.

Now, that's amazing. So, what Christian is suggesting is there is a limit to how many players can be suspended at one time? Surely, that's not his role. His job should be to view each case, and hand down the appropriate penalty. If there are two many players watching from the stands because of suspension, then that's a problem for the clubs they play for isn't it?

The more spokespeople from the AFL talk, the more I'm convinced AFL footy is farcical.

I listened to Michael Christian's interview today. I was staggered to hear a comment when asked why certain punches weren't being suspended. He said, "Be careful what you wish for because if all punches were suspended it would mean carnage with all the players missing" .... or words to that effect.

Now, that's amazing. So, what Christian is suggesting is there is a limit to how many players can be suspended at one time? Surely, that's not his role. His job should be to view each case, and hand down the appropriate penalty. If there are two many players watching from the stands because of suspension, then that's a problem for the clubs they play for isn't it?

The more spokespeople from the AFL talk, the more I'm convinced AFL footy is farcical.

That's the whole point. If they start penalising all punches then the punches will stop - it's called a deterrent!

Only nine 2105 premiers in the team on Saturday: STRATTON, BREUST ,SMITH, SHIELS, GUNSTON, FRAWLEY, BURGOYNE, SCHOENMAKERS & PUOPOLO

Four listed as injured
Roughead, .............Nash
McEvoy, ................Pittonet
Birchall,.................Miles
Langford ..............Worpel

Emergency
Duyrea .................

Nine are gone replaced by

Gibson.............Burton
Hale................Ceglar
Hill..................Henderson
Hodge.............Hardwick
Lake................Brand
Lewis..............O'Meara
Mitchell............Mitchell
Rioli................Morrison
Suckling..........Impey

Horses for courses , a few replacements are an improvement, a few not.

Langford wasn't a 2015 premiership player.

Warn the players at the start of the year and zero tolerance in rd 1, rug 30 out in the first week that will get the message across.

Most teams have near full list at rd 1, suspend before injuries start mounting up.

I think the players kind of removed it from the game themselves over the weekend. There was very little argy bargy, very few in your face after the goal misses and I only saw one of the normal punches to the back and gut they normally do and that was Hannebery and he got a free paid against him.

Now I might have imagined that and maybe others saw it differently.

Probably why Ablett wasn't sanctioned, the quota had been reached, or, and I believe this more to the point, he is on the protected species list.

Kinda the point of a suspension, deterrent to stop x action no? Welp guess I'm clueless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL have come out and said they got it wrong re: the non fifty against Mitch.
Watching at the time I thought he was a very lucky boy to get away with that.
My initial response was that the article belonged in the "headfcuked" thread, because it's perfect ammo for the haters - they only won because of umpiring errors etc...
But yes, I was astounded it wasn't a 50m penalty. The other incident is neither here nor there, upon reflection.

Christian claims he tripped over his team mate behind him.

In that case the umpires should have stated they erred in awarding a free to Gary which led to a goal.

They were very sure to highlight other mistakes which were implied to have aided Hawthorn. AFL site says the missed 50 would probably have led to a goal, even though the kicker would probably have been a spud

The AFL have come out and said they got it wrong re: the non fifty against Mitch.
Watching at the time I thought he was a very lucky boy to get away with that.

As noted they didn’t admit thy got the Ablett dive free wrong, which they surely did

That's the whole point. If they start penalising all punches then the punches will stop - it's called a deterrent!
This.

Give a minimum 1 week for any off-the-ball punch (ie. Any punch that isn’t a reasonable attempt to spoil or knock the ball on). ANY punch. Little tummy taps and “jumper punches” - 1 week.

Then for any punches to the head, automatic minimum 2 weeks. Then have it increase in line with the severity. And if they throw multiple punches, they get multiple weeks.

The key take away is simple though:
Any punch is an automatic suspension.

There may be carnage early on but I think we all know it would be curtailed pretty damn quickly.

In that case the umpires should have stated they erred in awarding a free to Gary which led to a goal.

They were very sure to highlight other mistakes which were implied to have aided Hawthorn. AFL site says the missed 50 would probably have led to a goal, even though the kicker would probably have been a spud

No mention of the free paid against Hendo which should have been paid against Hawkins for a dangerous tackle.
No mention of the incorrect disposal against Danger on our attacking 50 when he got tackled, tried to get a handball out but missed.
And no doubt numerous other non-calls.

How bout some balanced reporting......
The 2 cited by the AFL are fair, but there were plenty of other calls in that game that were clearly missed.

Last edited:
So lets talk hypotheticals. Hawks are in finals. Hawks will play Sydney in R23 and that may determine if Sydney get in or Geelong get in :think:

That is a tough one

On another note - do the Hawks really exist? I have not heard a thing in the media about them since about 2009
Yeah there was an AFL umpising article released a few minutes ago stating that umps made two glaring mistakes and essentially that's the only reason Hawthorn won, on the weekend.

Saints targeting Menzel from Geelong. maybe they need to target some better recruiters first?
Hahahaha first Hannefairy now Menzel, who looks almost as cooked as Hanners. What the hell are they smoking down at Seaford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back