No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 grand final on foxtel

How good was that 3rd quarter!!!

I fell for the media hype (in that Hawthorn was no chance, a cameo appearance at best) and was happy just to be there on grand final day.
Half time I thought we were a decent chance..... then that third quarter!!! :D

Yeah but Hawks were not keen from the beginning to get a license. So why should a Johnny come lately club think they can just magically get a license when they ask?
As a posted previously the VFLW is a proper completion across a full season. The AFLW is a half arsed run competition over the offseason - just a full in, intermingled with the AFLX which is just crap.

Where were you sitting? I was on that corner where Ottens missed that sitter. I was about 10 rows back with the beaming hot sun in my face.

Oh and being a Cats fan must’ve suck balls. I recall catching a tram back to Box Hill and all is Hawks fans were standing up sing the club song and every Cats fan was sitting down with their head in their hands. I had to fly back to Sydney that night and I remember having a couple of beers at the airport with an old dude (Hawthorn fan) that I met at the bar who’d been to like the last 15 grand finals. It really was one of the best days of my life beating those arrogant pricks :)

I was behind the cheer squad. Ground level. At the end Dew went ballistic ;)

Honestly. Ask yourself....is Having a womens team a priority.

Will you attend games? Buy merchandise?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

My daughter isnt even interested.
My daughter is interested, she loves the idea that girls can play for the Hawks, only games we made it to live this year as a family were VFLW games including the grand final

There were a lot of girls at that game, lots of teams heading in and out on the train, it's really powerful for getting more girls playing the sport which will help grow it over time

My daughter is interested, she loves the idea that girls can play for the Hawks, only games we made it to live this year as a family were VFLW games including the grand final

There were a lot of girls at that game, lots of teams heading in and out on the train, it's really powerful for getting more girls playing the sport which will help grow it over time

The problem with people in this world is that they only think about how these effect them and not anyone else. Unfortunately these are usually the people that are inclined to never change. Each to their own I guess.

The problem with people in this world is that they only think about how these effect them and not anyone else. Unfortunately these are usually the people that are inclined to never change. Each to their own I guess.
we are all guilty of it

I like that VFLW gets my daughter more interested in footy and the Hawks, I like that she is excited about watching the women play, and that she gets to watch the women play.

I have no issue with people that have no interest in it but I wonder why some actively campaign against it

we are all guilty of it

I like that VFLW gets my daughter more interested in footy and the Hawks, I like that she is excited about watching the women play, and that she gets to watch the women play.

I have no issue with people that have no interest in it but I wonder why some actively campaign against it

Well, an undoubtedly legitimate argument is that an alternative use of capital is a better use. Spending money on VFLW, netball, basketball (I think that is the list of new Hawks associations this year. Was there a cricket sponsorship somewhere? It's hard to remember because there have been quite a few new initiatives.) means you don't spend it on other things like the main footy teams. And it's legit to say that money not spent on those main teams is money not well spent.

But then, if Hawthorn is developing this you-beaut Dingley facility with lots of sports capabilities then a sportS club needs to fill it with sportS.

It seems to me that the board had executed a big vision to be a complete sporting club, possibly a sports hub for the south eastern area of Melb with that Dingley facility. I reckon it's a bold and ambitious plan. I like it.

Well, an undoubtedly legitimate argument is that an alternative use of capital is a better use. Spending money on VFLW, netball, basketball (I think that is the list of new Hawks associations this year. Was there a cricket sponsorship somewhere? It's hard to remember because there have been quite a few new initiatives.) means you don't spend it on other things like the main footy teams. And it's legit to say that money not spent on those main teams is money not well spent.

But then, if Hawthorn is developing this you-beaut Dingley facility with lots of sports capabilities then a sportS club needs to fill it with sportS.

It seems to me that the board had executed a big vision to be a complete sporting club, possibly a sports hub for the south eastern area of Melb with that Dingley facility. I reckon it's a bold and ambitious plan. I like it.
Especially if we end up being allowed access to these clubs juniors as part of our Next Gen Academy.

we are all guilty of it

Hey a little left field but since we plucked the motto off an all ladies club in Perth that was formed before the hawks were in existence, then it kind of makes sense that we have an AFWL (deliberate misnomer) team.

All the more reason to come up with an original Latin phrase.
Karrakatta Club.JPG

I feel like the AFL sabotaged AFLW from the get go because of greed and the painfully obvious fact Gil is brain dead and he only surrounds himself with yes men. They were never going to be of an entertaining for TV standard instantly, but the AFL pushed it all too hard straight away which has now turned it into a complete joke, which it never deserved.

VFLW has a much better chance of succeeding because it was done right.

I feel like the AFL sabotaged AFLW from the get go because of greed and the painfully obvious fact Gil is brain dead and he only surrounds himself with yes men. They were never going to be of an entertaining for TV standard instantly, but the AFL pushed it all too hard straight away which has now turned it into a complete joke, which it never deserved.

I don't think they purposefully sabotaged it. I just think they and the broadcasters really just don't have much respect for viewers

And why should they look at what rates well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think they purposefully sabotaged it. I just think they and the broadcasters really just don't have much respect for viewers

And why should they look at what rates well
Yeah sabotaged was the wrong word. Not giving it the respect and patience to become a quality product before hyping it up is what I was getting at. Its just about $ for them...

Yeah sabotaged was the wrong word. Not giving it the respect and patience to become a quality product before hyping it up is what I was getting at. Its just about $ for them...
Always about the $$$
R&D is an interesting beast as is marketing
Different people running businesses have different philosophies about how it works and how to invest in the future and how to grow a business

I see it as an attempt to grow the business, it may be successful, I think in some ways it is, but not necessarily the best way to do it

I was behind the cheer squad. Ground level. At the end Dew went ballistic ;)
Me too!

I was close to the guy who had the “All you need is Rough” sign

To think a decade ago we were all within 20m of each other and it's the first image on google. Can you see yourself? (edit: click on link for larger image, though resolution is lousy).

I'm the guy with hands in pockets standing in front of "do it for crawf" sign.

The guy in white cap sitting down on my right was also a BF member.

To think a decade ago we were all within 20m of each other and it's the first image on google. Can you see yourself? (edit: click on link for larger image, though resolution is lousy).

I'm the one 3000 km to the north watching it in my loungeroom with my then 6 year old son.

I think you have it the wrong way. There was no sabotage, just typical AFL greed trying to make money fast.

I've found Wally, but you guys are practically invisible!

Jeezus a Spartan Hawthorn fan. Now I’ve seen it all. If you attend MS then you will not be a legit Hawthorn fan until you wear a Hawks gurnsey to a MS game (jokes) :)
To be fair, I live in Washington state now so I'm unable to attend a lot of events in East Lansing, but I have two Hawks guernseys and would proudly wear either to a Michigan State event.

To be fair, I live in Washington state now so I'm unable to attend a lot of events in East Lansing, but I have two Hawks guernseys and would proudly wear either to a Michigan State event.
Ha ha I’m just playing. I love it when you see random Aussie teams gernsey’s pop up on espn. I was watching the Pistons vs Hawks game yesterday and saw a lady sporting an all blacks polo which was cool but nothing beats seeing pour brown and gold... preferably a long sleeve one too :)

Ha ha I’m just playing. I love it when you see random Aussie teams gernsey’s pop up on espn. I was watching the Pistons vs Hawks game yesterday and saw a lady sporting an all blacks polo which was cool but nothing beats seeing pour brown and gold... preferably a long sleeve one too :)
While we're on the subject, anyone know anything about a guy named Jack Bouwmeester? Recruited as a punter for the Spartans, but our ignorance of footy on full display LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back