No Opposition Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Brant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Just watched the 2014 GF.

Lewis f’en killed it. Just brilliant. Hard; won it & distributed it cleanly, dominated his opponent (probs got more of it than Kennedy + Parker + Jack put together).

Not our fanciest, flashiest or finest player & probably worked as hard to earn his bruises as he did his medals...

Not sure how else to praise him, other than to say that he was a f’en champ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BJK#5

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

Lewis f’en killed it. Just brilliant. Hard; won it & distributed it cleanly, dominated his opponent (probs got more of it than Kennedy + Parker + Jack put together).

Not our fanciest, flashiest or finest player & probably worked as hard to earn his bruises as he did his medals...

I really do miss Lewis, it was obviously the right decision to move him on but jeez he was a gun.

One of the most underrated from our premiership era imo, was considered a good player by a lot of most oppo supporters but he was a tier above just good. You could just always count on him to stand up for us when we needed to and it may not have been a clutch goal or a lace out 50 m kick. It was often just evening a contest to cause a turnover, laying a big tackle or even just ripping a ball out of a contest to get us going forward when we need a clearance.

Bugs1977

Team Captain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
The pain of this loss, and 2012 Grand Final, are two games I've never re-watched.
I’m the same mate. The only Hawthorn game I’ve missed over ther last 10 years was that game against Geelong where Hawkins kicked that long bomb after the siren. I was at a wedding and needless to say I was glad I missed it.

cryptor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I really do miss Lewis, it was obviously the right decision to move him on but jeez he was a gun.

One of the most underrated from our premiership era imo, was considered a good player by a lot of most oppo supporters but he was a tier above just good. You could just always count on him to stand up for us when we needed to and it may not have been a clutch goal or a lace out 50 m kick. It was often just evening a contest to cause a turnover, laying a big tackle or even just ripping a ball out of a contest to get us going forward when we need a clearance.
And he wasn't just a great midfielder. He was a very good forward when he played there. Super reliable set shot.

Big Hotdog

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn

grumbleguts

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw the 2001 prelim for the first time last week. I'd never seen it due to playing in a premiership of my own on the same day back in 2001.

We really should've won that.
Did you enjoy the umpiring in the 1st quarter? Greatest work of fiction ever produced by an Australian author.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo23

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Storm, NYYankees
Did you enjoy the umpiring in the 1st quarter? Greatest work of fiction ever produced by an Australian author.

I remember our group booing umpire Vozzo so much in the first quarter that we didn’t have much of our voices left when Goldspink did his thing later in the game.

Those two worked together very well!

Last edited:

A Cut Above

Every Other Anchor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Channel Four News Team

2014 was the year he went to another level, easily his best. Teams were tagging him instead of Mitchell which says it all.

2012 GF is never to be seen again...
There was no GF that year.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
2001 prelim is one of the few times in sport that I was certain the umpiring was not just bad but rigged.

I will never believe that the bad calls were mistakes.
Just disturbed individuals. Goldspink mentioned later he enjoyed revving the crowd up, particularly a couple of clubs supporters.

Forget making them full time, just get a couple of really good shrinks

A Cut Above

Every Other Anchor
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Channel Four News Team
Here’s something I came across on YouTube that any of you late 70s children like myself will appreciate. Dipper and the Kid dished it out but could take it as well.

I miss 60 minutes, particularly prime-era Jana Vendt. Those beautiful dreamy eyes were something else. Not quite Delvene Delaney but right up there.

arupist

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I miss 60 minutes, particularly prime-era Jana Vendt. Those beautiful dreamy eyes were something else. Not quite Delvene Delaney but right up there.

Nasty woman. One of those reporters who have absolutely no regard for the well-being of those interviewed. Always assumed guilt and went for the jugular every time. Happy to see the back of her.

Davo23

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Storm, NYYankees
Here’s something I came across on YouTube that any of you late 70s children like myself will appreciate. Dipper and the Kid dished it out but could take it as well.

Yes, I watched that episode at the time - just so much empty air.

60 Minutes was a load of garbage, and this episode is one of the worst ever.

cryptor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Thanks for sharing. I'm a very late 80's child and I found this very interesting to watch. The hair and fashion has changed but the mannerisms and sly smiles are the same as ever with all the young blokes coming through now.

Top Bottom