No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty soon all you'll be able to do at the football is sip tea and applaude respectfully when a goal is kicked. Anything else will be considered boarish behaviour and frowned upon.

**** that Gil campaigner, he's a **** stain on the AFL.

AFL political agenda's hide the fact the game is slowly in decline.
No one has any answers for the state of the game, where the one reality is a very thin talent pool.

You will also be allowed to say "Good Show, Good Show!"
Be very careful with this. It is so easy to slip into old habits. I accidentally said "Good show" and finished it with "old chap!"

Got kicked out for being ageist.

For anyone that ever idolised Pigeon, remember the saying about never meet your idols, they wrote the saying after him.

My boyhood idol was Peter Hudson. He is the reason I support the Hawks. Met him at the bar in the Glenferrie club rooms (maybe early 90s) and he bought me a beer, we had a nice chat, and he was a thorough gentleman. There's something about meeting your boyhood hero, even as an adult, and discovering he is everything you hoped he would be.

Modern Day - Meet Budweiser about 10 years ago, bar in Elwood. Was staggered at how relatively quiet and subdued he was, after what you hear about. Was a mid week beer, so i guess he was probably taking it easy. But happy to have a chat, nice enough bloke. His mates we co*k heads tho.

Olden Days - Piggy Dunstall, jeez he was up himself back then. Funnily enough i cross pass with him fairly regularly these days and not much has changed. prickly character.

Peter Hudson - Met him a few times over the journey, jeez they dont make them like that anymore. What a champ.

Olden Days - Piggy Dunstall, jeez he was up himself back then. Funnily enough i cross pass with him fairly regularly these days and not much has changed. prickly character.

It's funny how you perceive people to be. After years of watching Dunstall and Brereton on the footy field, I had decided Dunstall was quiet, reserved and a good bloke, and that Dermie was a flashy big head who was up himself. After one of the premierships, I found myself in a function with the players at the club, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Dunstall was very much how he comes across in the media, and Dermie was a softly spoken nice guy. It was so strange :)

It didn’t warrant a week - that’s an absolute joke. We would be screaming if that was one of ours getting rubbed out

If anything the guy going in with a hip to Moore high when he marked should be reported and at least a 50 paid. The whack clearly affected whether more kicked the goal.
The Richmond players feet left the ground. All the ingredients

Instead they now pay a 50 when someon hurts an umpires feelings

I wanted to say I’m not a fan of such as the Carlton players heart to heart being immediately reported to the media.

Just keep it in house and ’be Known by your actions’

Then if you’re still crap you don’t look silly as well

AFL political agenda's hide the fact the game is slowly in decline.
No one has any answers for the state of the game, where the one reality is a very thin talent pool.
The game is in such a bad way that they decided not to change any rules today and to let things "settle down". A tacit admission that the rules they've changed have had "unforeseen results" and haven't delivered the results they were supposed to deliver. They probably want to change things up, but haven't got a clue what to do.

For anyone that ever idolised Pigeon, remember the saying about never meet your idols, they wrote the saying after him.
Yeah, I dunno. He came into my work place numerous times, often with kids in tow.
I would have said he was the nicest, most open of that group of guys I came across in my work environment. Humble and patient, and was able to cop me laughing at him when some of my colleagues didn't know who he was. Devoted to the kids too.
Steve Waugh, shy beyond awkwardness. But that little ponce Clarke, well he was just an arrogant and entitled smart arse. Condescending and patronising to his then fiance Bingle in front of people.(Dumb as dogs s**t though she was!). That was before he was Capt, so not sure if he became better or worse after that. Then again, I would never count him as any sort of hero anyhow. 1st class campaigner, and meeting him just confirmed it.

Still, I'd be inclined to agree with the sentiment. Depending on the hero, but also the circumstances of the meeting, i'd probably err on the side of caution and avoid the meeting and the potential disappointment.

I'd prefer to die wondering rather than having the fantasy smashed.

And on the hunting side of things.... It sounds a great idea that people eat what they kill, but then my folks up the country contend with shooters who are stocking the locality with young boars so they can come back later and have something to hunt.
And that leads to those same irresponsible shooters trespassing onto properties to shoot the s**t outta things to keep the pigs under control and parade as citizens of the year. The last lot who couldn't find pigs, they started trophy hunting some stud goat bucks. Took a long time going through the courts, but those shooters eventually got a slap on the wrists and paid compensation, but not before a whole lot of witness intimidation, and shooting up of the farm.
On the other hand. There's many responsible professional shooters out there that kill for a living, and I sure do hope they are enjoying themselves. A pro Fox shooter in one night cleaned up 43 foxes on the neighbouring property, and 16 on the folks. Half a nights work. Awesome, Clinical, precision work. As clean and professional as any skilled operator in any industry. And as a protector of native wildlife, I'd regard them as environmental heroes. Imagine the wildlife saved.
Myself, I was never going to eat the foxes, but I wanted to cry for the waste of not being able to turn them into a blood n bone type fertiliser. Not to mention I couldn't use the fur or skin. (Some of the skulls were cleaned up and passed onto a friend, who carved, then painted them and sold them to hypocrite hipsters. They would never dream to eat or wear an animal based product, but happy with the cool curio).
But then the next night, does the hero Fox killer go to clean up some roos and wipe out the local population? And what do they shoot on weekends for sport?
I don't want to know. I really don't want to meet and get to know my hero Fox killer and find out the brutal truth. Which kinda bring the post back on to the topic of the derailed thread. Thankfully.

Meh. GM. I forgot about those pics. Really disappointed about that, and the response in his defence. Not a total campaigner all the same.

Last edited:
Met Alastair lynch a few times. He is just as nice as you would expect him to be. Top bloke.

But I have to say sometimes we see celebrity sports people at functions etc. and they are on the job and will be nice etc. and other times we see them and they are going about their business and we enter into their space. We don’t know how that person is feeling today or how many times today someone has approached them.

I recall walking through a department store, looking up and seeing Michael Voss walking towards me. Our eyes met and I could tell in that moment he saw recognition in my eyes. The look on his face was not that of a fearless warrior ready accept the adulation of a fan. It was very much ‘oh s**t I’ve been made! Please don’t say anything. Please don’t say anything’. This was just a guy out buying a tv. He didn’t want to be bothered. I’m sure he would have shook my hand had I forced the issue but I doubt any approach would have been warmly received. However, I know had I been a lions function it would have been a completely different story. As it was, I let him walk past without saying anything which I’m sure he appreciated.

Moral of the story is we shouldnt quickly judge people based on chance encounters. It’s never going to be the full story and we don’t have the context to put that story together.

Met Alastair lynch a few times. He is just as nice as you would expect him to be. Top bloke.

But I have to say sometimes we see celebrity sports people at functions etc. and they are on the job and will be nice etc. and other times we see them and they are going about their business and we enter into their space. We don’t know how that person is feeling today or how many times today someone has approached them.

I recall walking through a department store, looking up and seeing Michael Voss walking towards me. Our eyes met and I could tell in that moment he saw recognition in my eyes. The look on his face was not that of a fearless warrior ready accept the adulation of a fan. It was very much ‘oh **** I’ve been made! Please don’t say anything. Please don’t say anything’. This was just a guy out buying a tv. He didn’t want to be bothered. I’m sure he would have shook my hand had I forced the issue but I doubt any approach would have been warmly received. However, I know had I been a lions function it would have been a completely different story. As it was, I let him walk past without saying anything which I’m sure he appreciated.

Moral of the story is we shouldnt quickly judge people based on chance encounters. It’s never going to be the full story and we don’t have the context to put that story together.

Michael Voss used to come into the newsagent I worked at during uni. The owner of the shop was a MAD Lions fan. I think the first time he came in the Lions had made the finals and she had adorned the entire entrance of the shop in Lions streamers and balloons. She noticed him pretty quickly (he wasn't hard to miss with the height and red hair) and yelled 'HELLO VOSSY!'. He was really nice and was happy to have a bit of a chat about the game - I think at the same time he wanted to be pretty unassuming and just go about his business. Didn't stop him from coming in every now and then though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Smith and Daniher for the year is going to massively hurt Essendon's top 8 chances.

Lucky they won the flag during last years' trade period.

Can see the headlines already

1558582001145.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back