No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read on the AFL website that the Sydney rebuild is complete (“stunning!”) after winning one of their last three games.

Also read their veterans looked tired early in the season after making “15 of the last 16 finals” ...you know players like Stuart Maxfield and Troy Luff who are still on the list but were a bit rusty out of the gates...

Just read on the AFL website that the Sydney rebuild is complete (“stunning!”) after winning one of their last three games.

Also read their veterans looked tired early in the season after making “15 of the last 16 finals” ...you know players like Stuart Maxfield and Troy Luff who are still on the list but were a bit rusty out of the gates...
Quickest rebuild ever apparently

I watched about half the first quarter, lost interests and took the dogs for a long walk.
Is the game becoming boring or am I just getting old?
I don’t think I have sat and watched a whole game from start to finish this year yet

And that includes Hawthorn games too!

The game has changed from what I grew up watching

The Goodwin effect might have a new meaning soon enough.
The only consolation is that somewhere right now...

johnny-5.png

..this is Trav20

I watched about half the first quarter, lost interests and took the dogs for a long walk.
Is the game becoming boring or am I just getting old?

I started watching footy as a 5 year old in the early 90s, this season I find it harder to watch full games of football ( Non Hawthorn involvement) than I ever have in my life.

The game was faster and more exciting 40 years ago and anyone that says any different hasn't got a clue.
More exciting? Yep. Better paced and the game flowed much better? Yes. Faster? yes and no. I'll explain.

Today's footballers cover the ground much faster than players of yesteryear and can actually move the ball faster & more accurately by hand or foot. So why does every game seem insanely slow with so many turnovers? Pressure. The pressure of earlier eras was a sad joke. The worst team in today's league would easily out-pressure the champion teams of the 80s and 90s. Players are fitter, stronger, taller, trained to tackle better, and have a more concerted pressure-first mindset. At 195cm Patrick Cripps would've been a CHF or ruckman in the 80s, think about that. Even at 185cm James Worpel would've been a forward.

The game is slower because the windows in which players can execute their skills with minimal pressure are now measured in fractions of a second. The days of Robert Diperdominico or Crag Bradley loping down a wing with 4 or 5 seconds & 2-3 bounces to decide which forward they'll plant the ball in the lap of are over. Most possessions are now subject to extreme pressure and players actually cope with pressure comparatively well given the ridiculous magnitude and sheer amount of it there is, it literally never lets up from from the first bounce till the final siren which must also have a strong psychological effect.

So yeah, you're absolutely correct except that in those brief windows if you observe you'll notice the ball can potentially move from one end of the ground to the other faster than ever before. Unfortunately play is stifled the rest of the time with much longer periods where nothing of importance happens.

I hate the fact he wont be retiring as a Hawk. Never got to give him a proper farewell in the Brown and Gold.

Hope he doesnt go the way of Matthews either and firmly entrenches himself in Brisbane to the point we never see him back at the club in any official capacity.

No offence Hodgey, but can you kindly * off back to Victoria? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting arguments in the media regarding the Howe decision yesterday. Commentators were disgusted by the decision to take the mark of Howe and award a free to the Melbourne player, saying he was just up for the speccy and it should be allowed.

From what I could see, the Dees player was set to take the mark and Howe runs up from behind, and with his leg fully extended, plants his foot squarely in the back of the Dees player, pushing him out of the way. There was no real vertical leap, just a push in the back, plain and simple.

Good decision by the umpire IMO. A push in the back has always been illegal.

I hate the fact he wont be retiring as a Hawk. Never got to give him a proper farewell in the Brown and Gold.

Hope he doesnt go the way of Matthews either and firmly entrenches himself in Brisbane to the point we never see him back at the club in any official capacity.

No offence Hodgey, but can you kindly **** off back to Victoria? :D

Eyes on the bigger price - we need Cooper, Chase and Leo growing up wearing brown and gold.

Interesting arguments in the media regarding the Howe decision yesterday. Commentators were disgusted by the decision to take the mark of Howe and award a free to the Melbourne player, saying he was just up for the speccy and it should be allowed.

From what I could see, the Dees player was set to take the mark and Howe runs up from behind, and with his leg fully extended, plants his foot squarely in the back of the Dees player, pushing him out of the way. There was no real vertical leap, just a push in the back, plain and simple.

So if Howe has of jumped on top of the player’s shoulders it would have been fine? ;)

See what you’re saying, perhaps much like a deliberate push in the back which is no different if you do it with your you hands. But as we know, it’s perfectly legal to canon into someone’s back with your body when attempting to mark. And that is one of the most spectacular aspects of our game.

Marking contests have always had a different set of rules though. You can literally knee someone in the back, or the head and it's ok.

No idea why you are so worried about antisocial behaviour being cracked down on

Aside from that how do the Tigers cheersquad know they are undercover spotters, could just be fans sick of the Tigers cheer squad going feral

It's about time we moved on from the footy being an excuse to hurl abuse at people at the top of your lungs

No idea why you are so worried about antisocial behaviour being cracked down on

Aside from that how do the Tigers cheersquad know they are undercover spotters, could just be fans sick of the Tigers cheer squad going feral

It's about time we moved on from the footy being an excuse to hurl abuse at people at the top of your lungs

Where does it stop though? Is booing a poor score review anti-social? Does booing the umpires off after a poorly adjudicated quarter/half count as being anti-social? Sanitising the game to the extent it is going is not going to see more people come to the football because it is 'safer' but will just see crowds diminish further because at least you can't get kicked off your couch for telling the umpires off.

Where does it stop though? Is booing a poor score review anti-social? Does booing the umpires off after a poorly adjudicated quarter/half count as being anti-social? Sanitising the game to the extent it is going is not going to see more people come to the football because it is 'safer' but will just see crowds diminish further because at least you can't get kicked off your couch for telling the umpires off.
I'm of the opinion that if you won't go to the footy if you can't swear your head off then I'm happy to not see you at the footy. If that is a requirement for your enjoyment of the game live then it's more about the fact that you see the footy as a place you can act in a way you can't anywhere else in public.

Go to fed square and scream like you do at the footy and the cops will pay you a visit. People have been getting ejected from the footy for a long time for being over the top and you see plenty of blokes that should be kicked out that don't.

I know you have this I grew up with xxx so why should it be changed mentality. Well lots of people have lost that argument over the years on many topics when people decided they weren't going to put up with that.

You're worried that all you will be able to do is clap like at Wimbeldon, and to protect that you want to let s**t behaviour be encouraged.

Hurling abuse over the fence at an individual, screaming out aggresive swear words, saying you want them to die etc is antisocial, just because people have always done it isn't a good excuse to let them keep doing it.

Bad call by the umps, boo it, someone cleans up your player, boo him. Why do you need to do anything else?

Now if you then decide you are going to boo at the top of your lungs all game in protest, well then I hope you get kicked out because that would be antisocial and ruining it for anyone within ear shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back