No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way in hell Adelaide throws 2x 1st rounders for Fantasia. Pick 2 on its own? Just as laughable.

They got pick friggin 12 for charlie cameron last year. Thats almost as bad as us getting pick 23 for brad hill.

Bloke can't get a clean run without soft tissue injuries. Wonder if playing on marvel stadium has something to do with it.
It's got everything to do with it. Marvel and Optus stadium have had so many casualties this year its becoming a joke.

My brother in law ( cats supporter ) was whinging about it all and I suggested exactly that , his response ‘ but then most of our members won’t be able to go those games ‘

Ironic isn’t it ?
As was mentioned in previous years also that finals are ticketed by the afl not For the club or it’s members so they will be lucky if 15000 cats supporters can get in

Brendan Goddard wrote another s**t article about the Hawks this morning. Questioned Hawthorn’s lack of quality youth (typical line of a salty * supporter ) As if Essendon’s are any better lol.

He then somehow had either the audacity or sheer stupidity to say that “James Worpel burst onto the scene and looked as if he could provide that next-generation spark, but his development has stalled”. DEVELOPMENT HAS STALLED?!?!

Maybe he’s just salty because Worpel is already way better than Mcgrath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendan Goddard wrote another s**t article about the Hawks this morning. Questioned Hawthorn’s lack of quality youth (typical line of a salty * supporter ) As if Essendon’s are any better lol.

He then somehow had either the audacity or sheer stupidity to say that “James Worpel burst onto the scene and looked as if he could provide that next-generation spark, but his development has stalled”. DEVELOPMENT HAS STALLED?!?!

Maybe he’s just salty because Worpel is already way better than Mcgrath

The Worpel thing is just stupid. It's easy to 'burst on to the scene', it's much harder to play consistent footy week in week out over a whole season as a 2nd year player, especially one that is carrying a massive workload like Worpel is for us. Put Mitchell next to him, and he will become a better player.

And then on the same morning, Marc Mcgowan writes one of the best articles I’ve seen in a while with regards to Hawthorn.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-04/why-shipping-off-burton-was-the-right-call-for-the-hawks

Marc is actually one of the journos I respect the most. He generally provides unbiased and intelligent comments on AFL teams and topics.

Was a good article, well thought out, made valid points and generally looked at it froma non-biased view. This bloke has no hope of staying in the media if he's going to do things like that!

The Worpel thing is just stupid. It's easy to 'burst on to the scene', it's much harder to play consistent footy week in week out over a whole season as a 2nd year player, especially one that is carrying a massive workload like Worpel is for us. Put Mitchell next to him, and he will become a better player.
As you say workload wise Worpel is a beast for a second year player. Sure he makes mistakes and tires. But he spends considerable time at the coal face and not as an outside receiver. He shows aggression and intent beyond his years of preseason.

I think most "Hawthorn people" would be very happy with his output to date.

And then on the same morning, Marc Mcgowan writes one of the best articles I’ve seen in a while with regards to Hawthorn.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-04/why-shipping-off-burton-was-the-right-call-for-the-hawks

Marc is actually one of the journos I respect the most. He generally provides unbiased and intelligent comments on AFL teams and topics.
I've got my cynical goggles on today. McGowan is the journo from afl house who's been stationed at the Hawks this season. Last year it was Ash Browne. Writing positive stories about us keeps them onside with the club and therefore likely to receive inside mail for future articles. That's fine.

He makes some salient points about the role Burton played, Scrimshaw performing a similar job (an opinion shared by many on this board) and the current state of our forward line. He's right. Our back 6 is easily our strongest line. That said, taking a position that it was the right move to bring Wingard in regardless of whether he recaptures his AA form is crazy talk ("However it ends up, it was the right call' is the final line of the article).

To the contrary, precisely how it ends up will determine whether it was the right call. Like I said previously, I think Wingard will prove his worth but if he doesn't it's a calamitous trade for us given the abundance of talent in last year's draft.

In short I liked the article until the final line. I thought that sentence undermined almost everything that came before it.

I've got my cynical goggles on today. McGowan is the journo from afl house who's been stationed at the Hawks this season. Last year it was Ash Browne. Writing positive stories about us keeps them onside with the club and therefore likely to receive inside mail for future articles. That's fine.

He makes some salient points about the role Burton played, Scrimshaw performing a similar job (an opinion shared by many on this board) and the current state of our forward line. He's right. Our back 6 is easily our strongest line. That said, taking a position that it was the right move to bring Wingard in regardless of whether he recaptures his AA form is crazy talk ("However it ends up, it was the right call' is the final line of the article).

To the contrary, precisely how it ends up will determine whether it was the right call. Like I said previously, I think Wingard will prove his worth but if he doesn't it's a calamitous trade for us given the abundance of talent in last year's draft.

In short I liked the article until the final line. I thought that sentence undermined almost everything that came before it.
I think the point McGowan was making with that last line is that, it was the right call to make at the time.
For all the reasons McGowan mentioned. And i agree it was as well. You can't factor in hindsight at the time the decision was made.
Besides we're only 6 months into what should be a 5-7 year process before any calls can be made.
That said, I'm still confident that when it's all done and dusted we will be ahead of the ledger.
I'll have my hindsight now thank you..

24 changes since 2016
7 arguably best 22 if all fit. 9 in the depth category and 7 rookies

Average age excl. rookies has dropped 2 to 3 years despite being 3 years later - effectively a 5.5 year average drop
Average age of best 22 drops from 28 in 2016 to 25 in 2019. Average original draft does from late first round (19) to mud first round (10)
Average age of depth players drops from 23 in 2016 to 21 in 2019, but the average pick number of the 8 draftees in 2016 is 35 (early third round) while the average draft pick of 5 draftees in 2019 is 62 ( mid 5th round)

We have pretty much trod water, but rectified a very unbalanced list. next couple of years could see us make some forward progress.

The top players might never be as collectively good as our threepeat heros, But I have more optimism for our depth there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back