No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone concerned the AFLW might flat line this coming season and sponsors could well leave in droves. As others have mentioned the VFLW is a well established, predominantly high quality comp. The standard isn't ready for a 'national' top tier competition just yet. With the players coming through (assuming young kids are committed to seniors) a comp should've been established early 2020's

Well that’s it then - they should fold now and call it a bomb

I wish people could move past it being successful right now.

I thought our women’s vfl team played an excellent game style

Everyone is saying that the girls aren’t as skilled as the men and the game is ugly only ever seen the trial matches when dogs and Melbourne played. The thing is if we had a team we would want them to play in our system our style but could the girls play this way. This is why I’m glad we aren’t in it yet let the skills improve before we are in there.

Everyone is saying that the girls aren’t as skilled as the men and the game is ugly only ever seen the trial matches when dogs and Melbourne played. The thing is if we had a team we would want them to play in our system our style but could the girls play this way. This is why I’m glad we aren’t in it yet let the skills improve before we are in there.
If there was a Hawthorn AFLW team I would be pumped. I'd watch every game I could.
Honestly - I wouldn't go to the games, I struggle enough to get to the men's - but if they're wearing a hawks jumper I'd be right into it.

The Hawks VFLW team for me is similar to Box Hill. I'm mildly interested and like it when they do well.

The comp is immature and needs energy (resources, time and money) poured into it to help it mature. There is a tipping point they need to get to for it to become financially viable and professional. There is a lot of potential in it to be a great thing, but it needs some courageous AND smart management. I don't really get the sense that it has either at the moment.

Had a couple of hours to kill today so I decided to watch the 2013 preliminary final. A couple on here at BF stated that they had recently done the same which is what put the idea in my head to do so but anyways a couple of things I noticed. The first being that geez the Cats really capitulated to lose the way they did and it really showed by how they went about it and our most recent era of dominance would’ve probably looked a lot more different than it does today if we didn’t gut it out the way we did. More than half of those Cats players have hearts the size of peas whereas I couldn’t name one Hawthorn player that didn’t go above and beyond to pitch in towards that victory. It shows you how time makes you forget things but Punky missed a sitter from about 25 out on a slight angle that would’ve put us in front so he must’ve breathed a huge sigh of relief when the final siren went. The other thing I noticed was Dermies commentary must’ve gave the Cats supporters the absolute shits the way he was trying to stay unbiased because by doing so it was probably doing the opposite. The final thing I noticed was that a lot of yhe stars in that team are no longer with us (Hodge, Buddy, Mitch, Lewis, Lake, Cyril, Gibson, Hill, Guerra, Hale) however when the whips got cracking the young guys who are now becoming the vets of today’s team stepped up. Guys like Gunston, Stratton, Smith and Shiels. I guess it’s no wonder all 4 are in the running to be the next skipper.

Anyways enough babbling from me but geezus after watching that game my heart rate was still spiking up and down like a roller coaster :)

Had a couple of hours to kill today so I decided to watch the 2013 preliminary final. A couple on here at BF stated that they had recently done the same which is what put the idea in my head to do so but anyways a couple of things I noticed. The first being that geez the Cats really capitulated to lose the way they did and it really showed by how they went about it and our most recent era of dominance would’ve probably looked a lot more different than it does today if we didn’t gut it out the way we did. More than half of those Cats players have hearts the size of peas whereas I couldn’t name one Hawthorn player that didn’t go above and beyond to pitch in towards that victory. It shows you how time makes you forget things but Punky missed a sitter from about 25 out on a slight angle that would’ve put us in front so he must’ve breathed a huge sigh of relief when the final siren went. The other thing I noticed was Dermies commentary must’ve gave the Cats supporters the absolute shits the way he was trying to stay unbiased because by doing so it was probably doing the opposite. The final thing I noticed was that a lot of yhe stars in that team are no longer with us (Hodge, Buddy, Mitch, Lewis, Lake, Cyril, Gibson, Hill, Guerra, Hale) however when the whips got cracking the young guys who are now becoming the vets of today’s team stepped up. Guys like Gunston, Stratton, Smith and Shiels. I guess it’s no wonder all 4 are in the running to be the next skipper.

Anyways enough babbling from me but geezus after watching that game my heart rate was still spiking up and down like a roller coaster :)

You missed Burgoyne.

Aside from Dew’s 3rd quarter in 08, his 4th is as significant a quarter of footy from a Hawthorn player as you’ll see.

You missed Burgoyne.

Aside from Dew’s 3rd quarter in 08, his 4th is as significant a quarter of footy from a Hawthorn player as you’ll see.

I wasn’t taking away anything from our main stars mate. I was just pointing out the stars that were no longer with us. Burgers goal was the most iconic moment of that game arms spread wide like a Hawks swooping it’s prey. I just want to note the young stars of that game that are now our young vets.

Is anyone concerned the AFLW might flat line this coming season and sponsors could well leave in droves. As others have mentioned the VFLW is a well established, predominantly high quality comp. The standard isn't ready for a 'national' top tier competition just yet. With the players coming through (assuming young kids are committed to seniors) a comp should've been established early 2020's

One can only hope. It's a terrible product at the moment.

I heard a saying that relates to minority groups not long ago "you can't be what you can't see". I think the TV exposure the AFLW gets is a metaphorical carrot for any female interested in playing footy. If she is good enough she could play in this Big League. I think the AFLW league will create more and more interest that will fuel a growth at all lower levels that will eventually lift the overall quality of the womens game.
I agree with many here and find the current standard too low to enjoy, maybe in time it will get better and I can enjoy it.

The AfLW took too many ‘athletes from other sports like it was some huge feather in their cap to have poached them
Result: poor footy skills. The VFLW Is a much better standard. it’s plain to see
My cousins cousin ( if that makes sense ) plays for Brisbane having had the first season at Carlton
She was an elite runner and had played decent level soccer .
Two weeks before the first draft she got a call asking her if she was interested in playing and got told she would get picked up , which she did .

She was then asked if she could take work/uni off to get her skills up to speed before the first game

I think there would be a lot of stories like that

I think the other thing that gets missed sometimes is just how much we dominated that last quarter from about 5 minutes in , could have won by 3+ goals.

But it’s very enjoyable to watch knowing what’s going to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the other thing that gets missed sometimes is just how much we dominated that last quarter from about 5 minutes in , could have won by 3+ goals.

But it’s very enjoyable to watch knowing what’s going to happen

To me it was almost as enjoyable as the GF victory that was to follow. That Burgoyne tackle on Bartell that handed Gunners a goal was a highly underrated play in that game. He got him so hard and quick that Jimmy didn’t have enough time to think hey just concede a behind.

To me it was almost as enjoyable as the GF victory that was to follow. That Burgoyne tackle on Bartell that handed Gunners a goal was a highly underrated play in that game. He got him so hard and quick that Jimmy didn’t have enough time to think hey just concede a behind.

Was bone crunching.

Re: AFLW, I think they're expanding too much, too soon. Making the jump from eight teams to ten to fourteen makes for a vastly compromised competition if they’re only going to use it as filler before the men’s season starts in earnest. Eventually they'll have to have a proper season (at least thirteen rounds to ensure each team plays each other once, plus two weeks of finals, so fifteen weeks in total...and then it might run into the VFLW season as well). So unless games in the latter rounds are going to be curtain raisers to AFLM games (and then you’re going to have some women’s groups complaining about the comp. being disrespected - “it should be allowed to stand on its own two feet, independent of the men’s comp.”), I’m not really sure how it’s going to work.

Tl;dr version, I don't think the people in charge have really thought it through properly. They should have kept it at eight teams for at least five years before thinking about expansion.

Re: AFLW, I think they're expanding too much, too soon. Making the jump from eight teams to ten to fourteen makes for a vastly compromised competition if they’re only going to use it as filler before the men’s season starts in earnest. Eventually they'll have to have a proper season (at least thirteen rounds to ensure each team plays each other once, plus two weeks of finals, so fifteen weeks in total...and then it might run into the VFLW season as well). So unless games in the latter rounds are going to be curtain raisers to AFLM games (and then you’re going to have some women’s groups complaining about the comp. being disrespected - “it should be allowed to stand on its own two feet, independent of the men’s comp.”), I’m not really sure how it’s going to work.

Tl;dr version, I don't think the people in charge have really thought it through properly. They should have kept it at eight teams for at least five years before thinking about expansion.

Gill on said it will remain a short season as the TV company suggests. it will never grow up

Great article on the AFL website that debunks the notion that Hawthorn are handed success on a silver platter.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-28/free-agency-ladder-the-shock-teams-hit-hardest

Hawthorn and Melbourne have the worst FA differential and yet Hawthorn have been the most successful club in the past decade and Melbourne have a great list right now.

Essendon on the other hand... how have they still not won a final?!

Great article on the AFL website that debunks the notion that Hawthorn are handed success on a silver platter.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-28/free-agency-ladder-the-shock-teams-hit-hardest

Hawthorn and Melbourne have the worst FA differential and yet Hawthorn have been the most successful club in the past decade and Melbourne have a great list right now.

Because they're s**t.

It's amazing what happens when the PR machine is in full swing. You get average-very good players like Hooker, Heppel, Daniher, Hurley, Tippa, Smith, Merrett and McGrath talked up as though they're super elite, but when you look at the cold hard facts they haven't performed.

Meanwhile, Mitchell wins a brownlow and he's no good. O'Meara plays 21 games and is an injury train wreck. Breust and Gunston get AA and we have a rubbish forwardline and Sicily, Hardwick, Morrison, Worpel play brilliant footy (the first three across a full season at least) and we have no youth.

How many teams over the history of the VFL / AFL could’ve lost a player the caliber of Buddy yet still go on to win the following 2 premierships. It really speaks volumes of Clarko’s system that was in place. The only other team IMHO that could’ve done so was our 80s juggernaut but even then I’d have my doubts. For example would we of won premierships without Dermie? Maybe but it never happened so it would all be hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back