No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Titus at his absolute best.

Exposing the corrupt peanuts at AFL house, when all other footy media lemmings are to afraid.

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/the-worst-ideas-of-afl-season-2018
It is a great read overall but I really like this line regarding the AFLW conferences:

At the moment the Conferences are cleverly named Conference A and B, but I look forward to the AFL renaming them the Wayne Carey Conference and the Nick Stevens Conference soon.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I was there. You could just feel the momentum shift with every one of their misses in the 2nd. Mooney’s siren howler was bad, but even I could see the 3 joe the gooses waving their arms in a frenzy at Bottens. What a dumb prick.

Was an arm wrestle in the 3rd. Everyone was expecting Bud to blow it open. But it was Dew, Hodge, Cyril and Willo that “broke the resistance”. Young was immense in the 2nd.

We tasted the joy that day. Imagine the devastation as a Cats fan leaving the ground? Would’ve been harrowing.

Delicious.

Hawthorn actually won the 2nd anyway

Because they're s**t.

It's amazing what happens when the PR machine is in full swing. You get average-very good players like Hooker, Heppel, Daniher, Hurley, Tippa, Smith, Merrett and McGrath talked up as though they're super elite, but when you look at the cold hard facts they haven't performed.

Meanwhile, Mitchell wins a brownlow and he's no good. O'Meara plays 21 games and is an injury train wreck. Breust and Gunston get AA and we have a rubbish forwardline and Sicily, Hardwick, Morrison, Worpel play brilliant footy (the first three across a full season at least) and we have no youth.
Hehe, excellent post LP.

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Had a couple of hours to kill today so I decided to watch the 2013 preliminary final. A couple on here at BF stated that they had recently done the same which is what put the idea in my head to do so but anyways a couple of things I noticed. The first being that geez the Cats really capitulated to lose the way they did and it really showed by how they went about it and our most recent era of dominance would’ve probably looked a lot more different than it does today if we didn’t gut it out the way we did. More than half of those Cats players have hearts the size of peas whereas I couldn’t name one Hawthorn player that didn’t go above and beyond to pitch in towards that victory. It shows you how time makes you forget things but Punky missed a sitter from about 25 out on a slight angle that would’ve put us in front so he must’ve breathed a huge sigh of relief when the final siren went. The other thing I noticed was Dermies commentary must’ve gave the Cats supporters the absolute shits the way he was trying to stay unbiased because by doing so it was probably doing the opposite. The final thing I noticed was that a lot of yhe stars in that team are no longer with us (Hodge, Buddy, Mitch, Lewis, Lake, Cyril, Gibson, Hill, Guerra, Hale) however when the whips got cracking the young guys who are now becoming the vets of today’s team stepped up. Guys like Gunston, Stratton, Smith and Shiels. I guess it’s no wonder all 4 are in the running to be the next skipper.

Anyways enough babbling from me but geezus after watching that game my heart rate was still spiking up and down like a roller coaster :)
We missed easy goals right throughout the game. We were a 6 goal better team on the night.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
We missed easy goals right throughout the game. We were a 6 goal better team on the night.
It’s not that we missed easy goals but more so that we had so much more possession and we were bombing it in long when we were about 20pts down and they were marking it. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but looking back on it we should’ve taken our time and centred the ball more. It’s easy to say we should’ve done that when all the marbles were on the table in a winner take all situation being down that much. I mean one turnover and they score and then who knows... our beloved 3peat might not have happened.

Imagine only having our 2008 premiership to show from our golden period. Might as well change our name to the Swans or Cats :)

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s not that we missed easy goals but more so that we had so much more possession and we were bombing it in long when we were about 20pts down and they were marking it. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but looking back on it we should’ve taken our time and centred the ball more. It’s easy to say we should’ve done that when all the marbles were on the table in a winner take all situation being down that much. I mean one turnover and they score and then who knows... our beloved 3peat might not have happened.

Imagine only having our 2008 premiership to show from our golden period. Might as well change our name to the Swans or Cats :)

We also had Bud and Cyril back then. Kinda tempting to bomb it to those freaks and see what they could do.

To be fair to Geelong, Taylor, Lonergan and Enright gave us a hard time for the best part of a decade.

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

We butchered the ball with our last kick into F50 in the last quarter but all the easy shots at goal we missed didn't help:
Hale 15m and 35m
Lewis 25m
Roughie 15m
Shiels 30m
Breust 35m
Add to this Cyril's unpaid mark and the OOBs on the full not paid against geelong resulting in a goal.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Everything is a fine line in football. Collingwood pinch the 2007 preliminary final from Geelong, it was only 3 points and could of went either way, they lose to Hawthorn the following year, 2009 Milne gets a decent bounce and saints take the cake, Ablett and Thompson leave at the end of 2010 and 2011 never happens. This is why it's so damn hard to win multiple flags let alone b2b2b :D

Last edited:

Imagine only having our 2008 premiership to show from our golden period. Might as well change our name to the Magpies :)

Edited for accuracy (given C'wood have won one flag from multiple grand final appearances this century).

Agree but I suppose we’ll get used to it again. It’s quite difficult to navigate and I only use my mobile so that seems to make it quite “busy” as well plus the name is running down rather than across

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
This new set up on BF is awful.

1D8A1883-1960-4D53-83B0-BCF0194EB1DC.gif

The trouble is feedback without specifics is not helpful and the feedback in this case is "It's bloody awful." hardy helpful, not not inaccurate, but also not helpful.
Yes but the thread I linked also keeps you up to date on what is happening so you can see why the change happened and what is being worked on
See below for the current latest

We are still polishing up the new site - colours and whatnot.

You will notice some things missing, some new features and so on.

If you notice something missing, post here. Many things that are missing are on the list to be re-added anyway.

Rude and unhelpful posts will be met with a kind request to re-phrase the post, and if this doesn't work we'll make another kind request to sod off.

Things to include when reporting an issue:
* Your manners
* Your device (desktop, mobile, tablet) and type (Mac, PC, iPhone, Android)
* Your browser if you know it (Safari, Chrome etc)

Things we know about:

504 errors popping up often. - Currently the top priority.
Account lock with too many login attempts - Changed to CAPTCHA authentication over lock out while we work on this one - may be related to the 504 errors.
Your club name under your details on each post - These have returned but the layout needs work
Tipping using American phrasing. - Fixing
Media embed codes not working eg YouTube - Chief's big goof. We will get that back quite soon.

Some notices might show stacked on top of each other instead of in the scrolling box. We need to edit every single notice to fix this. The upgrade also wiped all date settings on notices so you may see old notices pop up.
Some attached files are still coming across.
Media Gallery is broken and switched off.
Old VBulletin links are broken.
I don't know if BB code for tables works - will check later.
Pagination in threads on mobile - we will sort this out.

Things we will tinker with that could change a few times or not at all:
Colours.
Spacing.
Fonts - sizes and types.
Your user info beside every post (post count, AFL club, etc)

Things we consider fixed:
Badges forced into an incorrect size

Why upgrade?

Version 1 of the software is reaching end of life. No updates will be released after May, apart from security releases. Security releases will stop after December 2019.

So if it wasn't broke and didn't need fixing, it is about to be and will need fixing.

Details: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-5-end-of-life-schedule.157679/

Christmas/New Years is the quietest time on the site so this is the best time to upgrade.

Why not have everything running properly before upgrading?

We ran the upgrade multiple times on cloned versions of the site and it worked properly.

But you can't really test every possible combination of events until it hits the user base in the wild. Not without spending huge amounts of money, anyway. So expect issues to pop up, and expect that we will fix them.

Our custom addons like SuperNav (the pop-out side bar) couldn't be re-written in time so we decided to go ahead with the upgrade now and worry about them later. Some of the aspects of our custom work have become redundant with this new version, others just don't fit in.

But wait! There's more!

Version 2.1 of the software will be released later this year, and it will include a range of new features! And of course, an upgrade process similar to the one you are lucky enough to be experiencing right now.

We will likely wait until Christmas 2019 to upgrade again.

Needs club emblem under username too. I’m sure thats been noticed anyway.

Page numbers for each thread missing.
yes they are on the list

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
You know what. Spent yesterday annoyed at not being able to get on, annoyed at the new look, annoyed at anything that changed......

Today, getting used to the site, understanding why we need the update, seeing the team working on fixing stuff and taking constructive feedback (even though we are a pack of mongrels to them sometimes).

So keep up the good work guys and gals! It is appreciated (though it might not appear that way sometimes :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back