No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1547025134404.png

Obviously filmed on a potato, but the contest on the ground is in front of the line.

1547025266537.png

The umpires in a pretty good spot there - and he called touch without hesitation. He is also following the track of the ball, standing perpendicular to the line, and looking to the RIGHT.

The ball was in play when Cox first touched it - without question.

1547025404014.png

Cox now in full control, falling to ground - ball has still not gone completely passed line.

1547025461513.png

Always an eccentric character, Cox celebrates by doing a handstand - both he and the ball have FINALLY crossed the line.

IMO it was a mark - certainly far less have been paid, but if the call from Goldspink was he dropped it, would have just been another 50/50 to go against us.

To have an umpire from out of position over-ride with an incorrect decision was disgraceful, and should have been the last time Goldspink ever left his news agency.

Just watched the 2014 GF.

Lewis f’en killed it. Just brilliant. Hard; won it & distributed it cleanly, dominated his opponent (probs got more of it than Kennedy + Parker + Jack put together).

Not our fanciest, flashiest or finest player & probably worked as hard to earn his bruises as he did his medals...

Not sure how else to praise him, other than to say that he was a f’en champ!

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

Lewis f’en killed it. Just brilliant. Hard; won it & distributed it cleanly, dominated his opponent (probs got more of it than Kennedy + Parker + Jack put together).

Not our fanciest, flashiest or finest player & probably worked as hard to earn his bruises as he did his medals...

I really do miss Lewis, it was obviously the right decision to move him on but jeez he was a gun.

One of the most underrated from our premiership era imo, was considered a good player by a lot of most oppo supporters but he was a tier above just good. You could just always count on him to stand up for us when we needed to and it may not have been a clutch goal or a lace out 50 m kick. It was often just evening a contest to cause a turnover, laying a big tackle or even just ripping a ball out of a contest to get us going forward when we need a clearance.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
The pain of this loss, and 2012 Grand Final, are two games I've never re-watched.
I’m the same mate. The only Hawthorn game I’ve missed over ther last 10 years was that game against Geelong where Hawkins kicked that long bomb after the siren. I was at a wedding and needless to say I was glad I missed it.

I really do miss Lewis, it was obviously the right decision to move him on but jeez he was a gun.

One of the most underrated from our premiership era imo, was considered a good player by a lot of most oppo supporters but he was a tier above just good. You could just always count on him to stand up for us when we needed to and it may not have been a clutch goal or a lace out 50 m kick. It was often just evening a contest to cause a turnover, laying a big tackle or even just ripping a ball out of a contest to get us going forward when we need a clearance.
And he wasn't just a great midfielder. He was a very good forward when he played there. Super reliable set shot.

I saw the 2001 prelim for the first time last week. I'd never seen it due to playing in a premiership of my own on the same day back in 2001.

We really should've won that.

I saw the 2001 prelim for the first time last week. I'd never seen it due to playing in a premiership of my own on the same day back in 2001.

We really should've won that.
Did you enjoy the umpiring in the 1st quarter? Greatest work of fiction ever produced by an Australian author.

Did you enjoy the umpiring in the 1st quarter? Greatest work of fiction ever produced by an Australian author.
I tuned in halfway through the second. :rainbow:

I remember our group booing umpire Vozzo so much in the first quarter that we didn’t have much of our voices left when Goldspink did his thing later in the game.

Those two worked together very well!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think I’ve hurled as much abuse as I did in 2001 since. I think I used every available derogatory term available and invented some more of my own to hurl at Vozzo and Goldspink.

If you were ever going to put your money on game fixing it was during that game

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺

2014 was the year he went to another level, easily his best. Teams were tagging him instead of Mitchell which says it all.

2012 GF is never to be seen again...
There was no GF that year.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
2001 prelim is one of the few times in sport that I was certain the umpiring was not just bad but rigged.

I will never believe that the bad calls were mistakes.

Just disturbed individuals. Goldspink mentioned later he enjoyed revving the crowd up, particularly a couple of clubs supporters.

Forget making them full time, just get a couple of really good shrinks

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Here’s something I came across on YouTube that any of you late 70s children like myself will appreciate. Dipper and the Kid dished it out but could take it as well.

I miss 60 minutes, particularly prime-era Jana Vendt. Those beautiful dreamy eyes were something else. Not quite Delvene Delaney but right up there.

1.jpg

I miss 60 minutes, particularly prime-era Jana Vendt. Those beautiful dreamy eyes were something else. Not quite Delvene Delaney but right up there.

1.jpg
Nasty woman. One of those reporters who have absolutely no regard for the well-being of those interviewed. Always assumed guilt and went for the jugular every time. Happy to see the back of her.

Here’s something I came across on YouTube that any of you late 70s children like myself will appreciate. Dipper and the Kid dished it out but could take it as well.

Yes, I watched that episode at the time - just so much empty air.

60 Minutes was a load of garbage, and this episode is one of the worst ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back