No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricciuto saying that the Wingard for Dursma and Burton is a deal that Port have definitely won so far. Based on 6 quarters of JLT 😳

At risk of saying something dumb and very unpopular, but isn't he right?

Given that Chad's been injured and not played we have to admit that objectively, based solely on those 6 JLT quarters in complete isolation, those players have contributed far more to their team on field.

I'm certain as that sample size increases we'll be fine and the shock jocks will stop doing the comparisons altogether. ;)

At risk of saying something dumb and very unpopular, but isn't he right?

Given that Chad's been injured and not played we have to admit that objectively, based solely on those 6 JLT quarters in complete isolation, those players have contributed far more to their team on field.

I'm certain as that sample size increases we'll be fine and the shock jocks will stop doing the comparisons altogether. ;)
You are quite correct. It is also like calling someone as best on the ground three minutes into the game.

You are quite correct. It is also like calling someone as best on the ground three minutes into the game.

Agreed. A bit of a pointless comment. Then again, Ricuitto does really like to try to pump up all things South Australian. Am sure he was hailing the shrewd move of Port getting Jack Watts when he kicked that bag in the pre-season the other year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a couple of forwards who's marking timing was a bit off. Hipwood another. If they fix that, watch out

I watched a bit of their JLT games (because it's so fun to watch Essendon struggle) and I reckon their issue is in midfield coherence. I think they were in the game plan of move it quickly by handball or run and I don't think that play will be as disruptive this year.

With 6-6-6 it seems that the field is a little more spread out and although that only really affects the centre bounce as a specific rule, it does seem as if even the play during a regular stoppage is more open. It also seems that the forward flooding isn't as aggressive, likely because with the 10 metre kickout zone a good kick can get the ball 70 metres from goal leaving a high press dramatically exposed.

We won't really know how the game is being played until six or seven games into the season, but it looks likely to me that a more spread out field is on the cards. A lot less likely to see the roaming scrum. I imagine there will still be a lot of stoppages, particularly if tackles are honoured more, but it doesn't look like teams will cluster as hard around the ball. Especially early in the season when they don't want to get caught out on centre bounce set-ups and behinds. Maybe as the season progresses the teams will work out how to flood forward again and stay clear of the dangers but at this early stage it looks more open.

And back to Essendon, I think they will struggle off the backline and through the midfield because the running break won't be as damaging anymore. Against a high press, one guy busting out a quick run shatters the defensive setup. But with a more open field that isn't as dangerous. Essendon will rarely find easy front line options (in my opinion) because the run and gun will be faced with a layered defense, not an open paddock, when they break out of the backline. I think we're back to quick movement by kicking and ball control. Hopefully, anyways, as that's always a heavy focus at Hawthorn.

Breust didn’t make slobbo’s top fifty? As if anyone needs another reason to dismiss him as irrelevant.

He rates Sicily as Hawthorn's top player in 27th position. Then Gunston in 48. And that's it.

So the players all suck, it's just the system. And Clarko has never won coach of the year. I don't reckon Robbo could lead an under 13's side to the top half of a local footy table.

He rates Sicily as Hawthorn's top player in 27th position. Then Gunston in 48. And that's it.

So the players all suck, it's just the system. And Clarko has never won coach of the year. I don't reckon Robbo could lead an under 13's side to the top half of a local footy table.
If Mitchell was fit, I’d be keen to see where he ranked him. My guess would be in the teens somewhere.

Heppell asks for patience from hungry Essendon fans

Article in today’s Age by some nondescript called Ronny Lerner.
Guess what - Ronny is an Essendon supporter.

That’s why he writes a nothing article about the Injectors (which could be written about any one of 8 or 9 or 12 clubs, except Ronny doesn’t barrack for any of them).

These kinds of articles really positively and absolutely and completely give me the utter sh*ts.

Just because around 70% of Melbourne journos barrack for the Injectors, the footy public has to endure, on a daily basis, crap articles like these. There’s a lead article every second day about the Injectors in the Age and Sun. Forget about the other clubs.

Watch the Sun tomorrow - for the latest update on the Injectors.

Blockbuster subjects like …………………………………

Dylan Shiel looking forward to great year … Devon Smith loving his time with the Bombers … Daniher really confident about his fitness ...Heppell's hairdresser uses wonder shampoo

...... king Jesus !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back