No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ.

Does anybody know of a 5yo girl with a deep baritone voice? No, because they don't exist. If the umpire speaks in a high pitch voice, akin in tone and pitch, to a young girl, all he's doing is emphasising his point using a simile.

Can't see any SJW 5yo's getting up in arms over his comment, but then again, it's not the 'victim' of these comments you need to worry about; it's those who get offended on other people's behalf.

This really isn’t a SJW or PC thing for * sake. Granted I’m sure some woke campaigners on Twitter have taken this angle. Simply put - saying that the umpire spoke like a little girl was Rampe disrespecting and insulting an umpire. You can’t honestly argue that Rampe wasn’t saying it in a derogatory manner. In games where sendoffs are possible this kind of thing could see him being sent off (has happened in the NRL). Umpires don’t go around sledging players, so a basic respect being paid back to them isn’t too much to ask.

Hawkie_McHawkHawk

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mate if you call that smart arse stuff “a bit of personality” - compare him to Roughie’s display on the weekend giving guidance to a rookie in a demonstration of supreme sportsmanship.

I’d prefer a beer with Roughie any day - and happily order Rampe to play his next game with a pineapple deposited up his back passage.
If your that worried about what Rampe said then I can’t even be bothered arguing.
What Rough did was nice, what Rampe said was Fluff.
Umpires have heard far worse I’m sure, but because it’s a shootable offence these days to say anything disparaging about a human with a vagina, it gets blown out of proportion.

If the fine is because the public heard it and there has been backlash then turn the mikes off permanently- we don’t need them.

No mikes means a fine could of been sent in the mail with no one the wiser.

Rioli magic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s really not. Stock standard fine if coaches blast umpires. Pretty supportive of the same applying if a player hurls an insult at an umpire - no matter how lame it is. Don’t be a campaigner don’t get fined - simples.

I wonder what Razor’s tab is up to for being a smart arse to players...that guy is a recidivist campaigner....

When a coach blasts an umpire, it is done through the media as that is their platform, and therefore deserve a heavy sanction.

Rampe was picked up by the umpires microphone on the field (which is a separate ridiculous issue), in the “heat of battle” after a questionable call went against him. It is not the same as a coach teeing off at a press conference.

If it wasn’t broadcast by Channel 7, would he still be getting a 10k fine for that comment? I can’t remember, when was the last 10k fine for a player saying something to an umpire during the game? Is it really “stock standard”?

To me - This reeks of the AFL making a meal of the goal post incident, getting hammered when they tried to “make it go away” the first time and now coming to this ridiculous outcome as they keep digging holes for themselves.

In a month’s time when people say “Sydney got away with breaking the rules in that game” the AFL will say “they were fined 12k for their actions in that match, they actually paid a significant penalty”...

I don’t even know why he is being fined for the goalpost incident? He broke the rules, umpire elected not to penalize, and now he is being fined. Are players going to get fined for holding the man off the ball now too, or this really about perception?

CEO two days ago said it was a practical outcome and everything is fine... so WTF is going on? The AFL don’t know what to do and how to handle the situation and it’s potential implications is what is happening...and Rampe is now being fined 10k for a smart arse comment.

I wonder what Razor’s tab is up to for being a smart arse to players...that guy is a recidivist campaigner....

When a coach blasts an umpire, it is done through the media as that is their platform, and therefore deserve a heavy sanction.

Rampe was picked up by the umpires microphone on the field (which is a separate ridiculous issue), in the “heat of battle” after a questionable call went against him. It is not the same as a coach teeing off at a press conference.

If it wasn’t broadcast by Channel 7, would he still be getting a 10k fine for that comment? I can’t remember, when was the last 10k fine for a player saying something to an umpire during the game? Is it really “stock standard”?

To me - This reeks of the AFL making a meal of the goal post incident, getting hammered when they tried to “make it go away” the first time and now coming to this ridiculous outcome as they keep digging holes for themselves.

In a month’s time when people say “Sydney got away with breaking the rules in that game” the AFL will say “they were fined 12k for their actions in that match, they actually paid a significant penalty”...

I don’t even know why he is being fined for the goalpost incident? He broke the rules, umpire elected not to penalize, and now he is being fined. Are players going to get fined for holding the man off the ball now too, or this really about perception?

CEO two days ago said it was a practical outcome and everything is fine... so WTF is going on? The AFL don’t know what to do and how to handle the situation and it’s potential implications is what is happening...and Rampe is now being fined 10k for a smart arse comment.

Not remotely going to deny that the AFL botched almost every bit of this - that’s a given these days. I’ll always support fining players who openly insult umpires - even if the comment is funny. I don’t think expecting the players to respect the match officials is asking much. Players can sledge each other until the cows come home - that’s part and parcel of the game. I’m sure some players and umpires have some healthy banter at times too. But Rampe was being a campaigner and is getting fined for it and I’ve got no qualms.

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ent
Not remotely going to deny that the AFL botched almost every bit of this - that’s a given these days. I’ll always support fining players who openly insult umpires - even if the comment is funny. I don’t think expecting the players to respect the match officials is asking much. Players can sledge each other until the cows come home - that’s part and parcel of the game. I’m sure some players and umpires have some healthy banter at times too. But Rampe was being a campaigner and is getting fined for it and I’ve got no qualms.

Entirely agree. Rampe’s smart arse comment is not a capital offence - and I agree with Off the Couch that if the audio hadn’t been picked up then probably nothing would have come to light. But having been recorded you can’t let it pass and he has to be fined.

Because if you don’t - and if you signal to the players that it’s OK to mouth off at the umps - call them little girls or whatever- then it’s likely to become open season with, say, 30 derogatory comments per game? That’s not an over statement, that’s exactly how it would play out.
And they deserve more respect than that because their job is already hard enough without smart arse players thinking they can get away with a few tricks.

Ent

Entirely agree. Rampe’s smart arse comment is not a capital offence - and I agree with Off the Couch that if the audio hadn’t been picked up then probably nothing would have come to light. But having been recorded you can’t let it pass and he has to be fined.

Because if you don’t - and if you signal to the players that it’s OK to mouth off at the umps - call them little girls or whatever- then it’s likely to become open season with, say, 30 derogatory comments per game? That’s not an over statement, that’s exactly how it would play out.
And they deserve more respect than that because their job is already hard enough without smart arse players thinking they can get away with a few tricks.

Not to mention there’s hundreds of umpires around the country at local footy level who cop a lot worse, including threats and violence, and do it for a pittance and a general love for the game. If the AFL doesn’t make respect of the umpires paramount then it makes it much harder for umpires at all levels.

Yes, Rampe is probably a bit unlucky to have been picked up on the mic - but once it’s out there it has to be punished.

This really isn’t a SJW or PC thing for **** sake. Granted I’m sure some woke campaigners on Twitter have taken this angle. Simply put - saying that the umpire spoke like a little girl was Rampe disrespecting and insulting an umpire. You can’t honestly argue that Rampe wasn’t saying it in a derogatory manner. In games where sendoffs are possible this kind of thing could see him being sent off (has happened in the NRL). Umpires don’t go around sledging players, so a basic respect being paid back to them isn’t too much to ask.
Correct weight.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
This really isn’t a SJW or PC thing for **** sake. Granted I’m sure some woke campaigners on Twitter have taken this angle. Simply put - saying that the umpire spoke like a little girl was Rampe disrespecting and insulting an umpire. You can’t honestly argue that Rampe wasn’t saying it in a derogatory manner. In games where sendoffs are possible this kind of thing could see him being sent off (has happened in the NRL). Umpires don’t go around sledging players, so a basic respect being paid back to them isn’t too much to ask.

I’m with you on this Ned. You find players like Hodge are usually allowed to get away with a little more chit chat than others because there’s a mutual respect there. Hodge would eye down an umpire or say something smart arse but would get away with it 99% of the time. Rampe on the other hand does all the demeaning type s**t.

If your that worried about what Rampe said then I can’t even be bothered arguing.
What Rough did was nice, what Rampe said was Fluff.
Umpires have heard far worse I’m sure, but because it’s a shootable offence these days to say anything disparaging about a human with a vagina, it gets blown out of proportion.
But it's so sweet to see the boot on the other foot after the way the swans, and the northern media carried on about Eddie's comment regarding the coin toss recently
Up here, it was water cooler fodder as every person that had heard of the swans & Eddie (and know all about that guy Buddy too!), were up in arms about the most vile words ever spoken. Yep. A spud can't toss the coin.
In defending her honour, they repeatedly threw their no. 1 ticket holder under a bus to score some self righteous point, or more cynically, to deflect from the s**t season they are having.
It's a matter of respect and it has nothing to do with vaginas.

So am I right in assuming Frawley would have saved himself $2000 if he'd elbowed cameron in the head instead?

Last edited:
Ablett should have copped a week for the Shiel one.
The Wright one was very low impact so no dramas.

Got to compare this to Mitchell's elbow on Goldy last year....he got off when he probably could have copped a week. I can live with these interpretations.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Ablett should have copped a week for the Shiel one.
The Wright one was very low impact so no dramas.

Got to compare this to Mitchell's elbow on Goldy last year....he got off when he probably could have copped a week. I can live with these interpretations.
The Mitchell footage was grainy, and the only reason it even got a fine was because the media machine launched a lynch mob over the weekend to see Mitchell rubbed out.
Nowhere near the same as abletts

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
The Mitchell footage was grainy, and the only reason it even got a fine was because the media machine launched a lynch mob over the weekend to see Mitchell rubbed out.
Also like to add, did Goldstein go to ground like both of Abletts hits?
I truly don't remember, if not then clearly insufficient force, fine at most move on.

So am I right in assuming Frawley would have saved himself $2000 if he'd elbowed cameron in the head instead?
If the AFL were serious about player safety then the boundary fence would be covered in padding similar to the goal posts. But obviously they make a lot more money from hard, LED advertising boards so it's easier to just fine players for participating in a full contact sport.

The ball was getting kicked in.....he had to lift his elbow by at least a foot to get him in the head....
I'm comfortable with him escaping and Ablett.

No he isn't in Brownlow contention

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...e-football-and-feel-safe-20190514-p51n4p.html

What an absolute and utter load of tosh this handwringing open letter is. I went to footy games as a kid in the late 80s and early 90s and heard more swearing than I’ve heard at a night out in rowdy pubs. If you choose to sit in the drinking sections of a ground then you choose to hear people swearing and yelling - it’s par for the bloody course.

Violence needs to be stamped out of the crowds - I completely agree. But I’ve never come remotely close to seeing/hearing the kinds of things I did when I was attending NSWRL games as a kid - crowds are comparatively tame as hell these days.

I think we need to incorporate family stands at games because if this woman and her fragile children need to attend the game without passion being displayed - that’s perfectly fine. But those of us who like a bit of passion and noise in the crowd shouldn’t have to lose that because of a few Helen Lovejoys.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...e-football-and-feel-safe-20190514-p51n4p.html

What an absolute and utter load of tosh this handwringing open letter is. I went to footy games as a kid in the late 80s and early 90s and heard more swearing than I’ve heard at a night out in rowdy pubs. If you choose to sit in the drinking sections of a ground then you choose to hear people swearing and yelling - it’s par for the bloody course.

Violence needs to be stamped out of the crowds - I completely agree. But I’ve never come remotely close to seeing/hearing the kinds of things I did when I was attending NSWRL games as a kid - crowds are comparatively tame as hell these days.

I think we need to incorporate family stands at games because if this woman and her fragile children need to attend the game without passion being displayed - that’s perfectly fine. But those of us who like a bit of passion and noise in the crowd shouldn’t have to lose that because of a few Helen Lovejoys.
I thought pretty much the same thing when I read it.

It's strange she wrote an opinion piece in the daily paper days after the incidents when she could easily have had the offenders removed by calling the number they have plastered around the ground nowadays for reporting anti-social behaviour.

I haven't seen any violence or heard over the top swearing since Moorabbin oval in the seventies. I've heard worse at the comedy festival.

It's the era of being offended by everything, and being able to make a quick buck writing a story or doing an interview to get sympathy from the bleeding hearts. Crowds have dramatically improved in my eyes since the 90's, with the swearing and anti social behaviour now a rarity. Usually if there's a w***er in the crowd, they will get called out pretty quick. People just don't know how to handle any remotely negative situation these days besides going online and slamming it there (eg. restaurant reviews etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back