No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate it’s hard for the umpires to spot all the throws in a fast moving game but when a player has one arm pinned and doesn’t kick it, it is reasonable to infer that they have thrown it.

100% agree. How this wasn't seen by an umpire, with that space around him, is crazy. In no way could anybody see that and go "ahh yeah his fist is punching it out of his hand "

1557964392504.png

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
This kind of is the problem. When an umpire comes in the game with an attitude or an agenda: if you pay free kicks you get an open game is completely the wrong attitude. It's like police getting a speeding quota.

You pay free kicks that are there and you don't pay the ones that aren't and everyone's happy.
Agree completely that the umpires shouldn't have an agenda and pay what is there. But I don't think they do that at the moment. The point I'm making is that when free kicks are paid it frees up the game by creating the spread. Instead of making continual changes to the rules to open up the game maybe just pay free kicks that are there. Incorrect disposal in a tackle is one that can be paid more and in the back is one I think doesn't get any love anymore.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Prior opportunity needs to go or have a massive rework
Fundamentally, if you make taking possession of the ball more risky it encourages more tackling and tackling in numbers.

You cannot underestimate coaches desire to minimise their own risk and maximise the oppositions risk. It has absolutely driven the strategic direction of the sport for two decades now.

If you want to encourage players to stay away from the contest you need to make it more risky than being at the contest.

For example, if you allowed defenders to kick the ball from defensive fifty to out of bounds on the bounce with no penalty, teams would need to start positioning defenders near the boundary in order to guard against losing field position to a clearing kick. These defenders either come from the contest or the centre of the ground. Either way, it opens up space somewhere and gives opportunity for teams to exit their defensive fifty under less pressure. And after a team clears the ball going straight down the middle of the oval and scores a goal teams are going to have to weigh up the benefit of extras around the contest or extras guarding space away from the contest. It’s that tension, weight against leaving players at the contest, that will open up stoppages.

$3.50 for a Geelong flag is ridiculous. They are the best team, but far from convincing
Pretty much every year around this time of the season (third the way in) there is a bolter team that everyone seems to think is just about a monty for the flag and more often than not they end up not winning it...

2018 - Richmond
2017 - Adelaide
2016 - Sydney
2015 - West Coast
2014 - Port Adelaide
2013 - Geelong
2012 - Essendon
2011 - Collingwood
2010 - St Kilda

The history is littered with these teams and so many of them actually end up losing GF or PF. The only exception in that list is in 2012*

There also tends to be another favourite picked in the back half of the season. Even those teams don't always end up winning the flag either.

As Clarko says. Make finals, aim for top 4, and try to be the best team on the day. There's no prizes for April/May/June/etc. "premiers".

Pretty much every year around this time of the season (third the way in) there is a bolter team that everyone seems to think is just about a monty for the flag and more often than not they end up not winning it...

2018 - Richmond
2017 - Adelaide
2016 - Sydney
2015 - West Coast
2014 - Port Adelaide
2013 - Geelong
2012 - Essendon
2011 - Collingwood
2010 - St Kilda

The history is littered with these teams and so many of them actually end up losing GF or PF. The only exception in that list is in 2012*

There also tends to be another favourite picked in the back half of the season. Even those teams don't always end up winning the flag either.

As Clarko says. Make finals, aim for top 4, and try to be the best team on the day. There's no prizes for April/May/June/etc. "premiers".

Let's be fair, 2012 was probably us :'(

I will be beyond thrilled if the both the Scum and Cats miss out on the flag after being so heavily touted by the media and public

Let's be fair, 2012 was probably us :'(
Not in that first third. We were a little shakey to get going. Lost to Geelong (again) and also copped a bad loss to Sydney down in Tassie. We were the late season bolters that year that broke down in the back half of finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gaz unhappy with being labelled 'a sniper': Scott

Simple remedy Scott – tell him to stop sniping !

Chris Scott says Gary Ablett is aggrieved to be portrayed as a “sniper” as the Geelong champion attempts to tinker with the blocking technique that has seen him copping MRO heat.

Ablett dodged a penalty for his forearm to the head of Sam Wright, a week after he successfully downgraded a suspension at the tribunal for a similar hit on Essendon’s Dylan Shiel.

Cats coach Scott said today that the dual Brownlow Medallist was attempting to correct that technique by blocking players in the correction fashion.
Ablett understands the need to do that quickly but Scott believes the Cats legend has been hurt by people suggesting it is a deliberate act.

He takes offence to people suggesting all of a sudden after 330-odd games he decided we was going to go around and throw arms towards players heads and hope I get away with it,” Scott said.

He acknowledges he has got a bit of a technique flaw but in terms of malicious intent I would rate it at a zero. Generally he feels if people think he is a bit of a sniper, he would be uncomfortable with that.

Amazing that he developed this technique flaw after 330-odd beautiful games.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
The only time I don't feel safe watching the game live is against Essendon. Unless it's our home game I consciously not going to attend the game.

I feel sorry that she felt that way. Instead of abandoning the footy all together, she should consider to become a Hawks members instead. Well behaved, no foul/obscene language, reserved supporters and not attending the game ;) is what we're renowned for :D. Well we booed some players when they did bad things so I hope she's fine with that.
For me the only time I have had problems is vs richmond, including blatant racism, and having one guy have to be held back by several security guards when I called him out for being a dick in the hawks members area. This Sunday is the first time since 2015 I'm going to a game v them as a result

Viddiot

All Australian
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gary Ablett is aggrieved to be portrayed as a “sniper”

Lolol...this is hilarious. I thought everyone was portraying him as a protected species? Sorry but the treatment and SUSPENSION of our young Hawks over the last few years has me feeling ZERO sympathy.
Once sure, accidents happen and it's a tough game, but they should be whinging to the A.F.L. itself for not suspending him the 2nd time.

Hong Kong Hawk

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Brom
Just like your dad, gaz, you both should be proud
On players night both players said - “should have been a free kick. We know this rule from junior days”. Should have only been a 2 minute conversation IF the rules had been umpired to.

On another matter 360 would have spent an hour total this week discussing Rampe

Did anyone else Listen to Whately earlier in the week opine about the state of the game - it included umpiring, fixturing, rule changes, mro - he really went to town.

Apparently this came about because Gil had chastised him for always having a negative view about one thing or another and Gerard took offence

What was amusing was when he introduced Nathan Buckley the first thing Nathan said was “now that you’ve come down off that high horse.....” there were a few seconds of awkward silence

I love Buckley and his straight talking - just calls it exactly as he sees it but is very measured in how he puts it across. Has come a long way

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Did anyone else Listen to Whately earlier in the week opine about the state of the game - it included umpiring, fixturing, rule changes, mro - he really went to town.

Apparently this came about because Gil had chastised him for always having a negative view about one thing or another and Gerard took offence

What was amusing was when he introduced Nathan Buckley the first thing Nathan said was “now that you’ve come down off that high horse.....” there were a few seconds of awkward silence

I love Buckley and his straight talking - just calls it exactly as he sees it but is very measured in how he puts it across. Has come a long way

Whately toed the party line all the time that clown from Geelong was planning the so clawed improvements to the game
Gillon is mis informed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back