No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeddaB

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2008
The burbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think I read this wrong at first. Thought you meant that Joffa was one of your oldest and closest mates, rather than your mate's story about Joffa?
Yeah it was a story about how Joffa behaved towards my mate, his 2 younger brothers and his mother.

The post above it is a link to Joffa holding the AFL ransom and demanding an apology to decent fans.

Sorry for the confusion mate.

Buzz Hawk

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2017
Buttox
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"I don't want to commit to you, but I still want you to give me a lot of money."

Tell the campaigner to take a hike!
Pretty much. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too.
So he essentially want's 5 one year deals in a row, renewable yearly.
Which is the same as signing a one year contract.
Contracts mean very little these days anyway but if I were the cats I'd be trading him for max value now rather than waiting for when he becomes a RFA and get bugger all.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Read that Tim Kelly is on $100,000 plus $4,000 a game this year. If true, that is less than $200,000.

Surely the SCats would have shifted that upwards, if they thought he was any chance of staying, in an attempt to show some willing, than keep him on that and hope he signs a one year extension?

Doesn't seem they are very confident of him staying...

What are others' thoughts?

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-06-13/no-penalty-for-evicted-fan

The afl steps back from the ledge of insanity, amazingly. Someone woke up.

The AFL will take no further action against a supporter evicted from Carlton's victory over Brisbane on Saturday for abusing an umpire.
The fan, who was thrown out of Marvel Stadium for allegedly calling umpire Mathew Nicholls a "bald-headed flog", received a warning from the League.
It comes amid a series of incidents over the last fortnight where supporters have reported overzealous policing of barracking from the grandstands.
However, the AFL has moved to deny any apparent crackdown, claiming there has been no official instruction to stamp out ardent supporters from having their say at the footy.
"For over 100 years, the footy has been a place to come together, barrack, cheer and share in the experience in whichever way you choose," the League said in a statement.
"There has been no directive from the AFL to change this.
"The theatre of match day is one of the great sporting experiences, a place to be expressive and passionate about your team and the game, it always has been, it always will be.

"In season 2019 there has been no change to the expectations of the behaviour of everyone at games.
"We want fans to enjoy attending matches and allow other fans around them to do the same.
"While barracking and supporting is both strongly encouraged and a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated.
"Fans who consume alcohol on a match day are to do so responsibly.
"The AFL's zero tolerance stance on vilification remains."

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
I know it says no opposition supporters but I didn't know where to post this and thought you guys might enjoy

Cheers :thumbsu:

Cheers mate. Was all geared up to head in to the Burv last night to see this but was required elsewhere unfortunately. Will have a good watch and listen.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Read that Tim Kelly is on $100,000 plus $4,000 a game this year. If true, that is less than $200,000.

Surely the SCats would have shifted that upwards, if they thought he was any chance of staying, in an attempt to show some willing, than keep him on that and hope he signs a one year extension?

Doesn't seem they are very confident of him staying...

What are others' thoughts?

This is what I’m sure we all think when we see anything about the Handbaggers...
91207EC3-4430-46EC-8192-48404C80ED3F.gif

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2019-06-13/no-penalty-for-evicted-fan

The afl steps back from the ledge of insanity, amazingly. Someone woke up.

Love the quote you selectively highlighted. The statement also stressed -

"While barracking and supporting is both strongly encouraged and a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated".

So how the AFL, as you say "stepped back from the edge of insanity" is anyone's guess.
The Carlton supporter was evicted from the stadium and received a warning from the AFL for abusing an umpire. The AFL has merely said it won't take any further action - all quite sensible and justified.

Did anyone see the article in the paper re: Melbourne lobbying the AFL?

Dees’ Bold Plan to re-jig Footy

Following another terrible season, Dees’ Football Department have met with AFL Administrators to discuss scrapping weekend games in favour of extending an AFL-Fantasy League, for reals though.

Dees’ Coach, Simon Goodwin said: “What’s the point of building a sweet looking list if we’re gonna lose every week? I’m a garbage coach and all the other boys are garbage and it’s really not fair.”

“We struggled last off-season with a bunch of the boys running home crying, so this year, I gave them the summer off. On paper, we’re ****-hot; probably flag favourites, but at the end of the day we’re Melbourne through-and-through and what you get is one terrible on-field performance after another.”

“We’ve met the AFL to discuss reducing the main season to 4 optional games, then playing a 36-week Home and Away Season plus Finals ‘on paper’, using a mix of Fantasy Points and Player Potential Stats for scoring. We believe this fits the AFL’s want to rig games and provides the perfect sports gambling platform, without all the mess and trouble that comes from the usual Game Day.”

AFL CEO Gil McLachlan is said to love the idea, stating: “This is brilliant. Now we don’t have to get the Umpires to impact games with made up free kicks that are only paid when it suits our desired outcome!’

Bold move by the Dees - showing strong leadership & innovation. Let’s see how it plays out.

*Please don’t go looking for the article...;)

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Love the quote you selectively highlighted. The statement also stressed -

"While barracking and supporting is both strongly encouraged and a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated".

So how the AFL, as you say "stepped back from the edge of insanity" is anyone's guess.
The Carlton supporter was evicted from the stadium and received a warning from the AFL for abusing an umpire. The AFL has merely said it won't take any further action - all quite sensible and justified.

I didn't selectively quote. I listed the whole thing. But how about we play that game? The context you decided not to provide:

"While barracking and supporting is both strongly encouraged and a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated.
"Fans who consume alcohol on a match day are to do so responsibly.
"The AFL's zero tolerance stance on vilification remains."

Don't get drunk and stupid. As per normal expectations since forever. Call the umps "maggots" or "flogs" and have a good time.

"The theatre of match day is one of the great sporting experiences, a place to be expressive and passionate about your team and the game, it always has been, it always will be.

And their walkback:

It comes amid a series of incidents over the last fortnight where supporters have reported overzealous policing of barracking from the grandstands.
However, the AFL has moved to deny any apparent crackdown, claiming there has been no official instruction to stamp out ardent supporters from having their say at the footy.

It's pretty clear. Ledge averted. Argue differently, if you like. But know you're whistling into the wind.

Jan 29, 2010
Above the floodline
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I didn't selectively quote. I listed the whole thing. But how about we play that game? The context you decided not to provide:

Don't get drunk and stupid. As per normal expectations since forever. Call the umps "maggots" or "flogs" and have a good time.

And their walkback:

It's pretty clear. Ledge averted. Argue differently, if you like. But know you're whistling into the wind.

Your argument, if that is what it us, is nonsensical.
All your fiery and knee-jerk previous posts - about the AFL being puritanical and undermining the passion for the game and the supporters being denied the right to support - are simply undermined by the AFL’s statement above.

And by the way, I didn’t say you selectively quoted, I said you selectively highlighted - big difference.

It all comes back to your distortion of the AFL’s stance on this issue.

And also, I think you mean “crisis averted” -you don’t avert the ledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Tex Walker is a garbage footballer.

There are few players from memory where the gap between the talent and physical attributes they have and their performance, is so vast. Really should be in the top 5 key forwards in the game and end his career kicking 700+ goals.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
There are few players from memory where the gap between the talent and physical attributes they have and their performance, is so vast. Really should be in the top 5 key forwards in the game and end his career kicking 700+ goals.

His best work seems to be disrespecting the national anthem. Where were the right wing jocks complaining that day?

Watching Richmond crumble with injuries speaks volumes about our 2014 and 2015 campaigns. Three in a row easy for the tigers following 2017.

Idiots thought it was easy.

Can’t stand Richmond and I hope they drop out of the 8 altogether.

KOLOKOTRONIS

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Pundits piling on the adelaide train.

the only thing I know is this season is like the last three, theres a big field that could come on in the finals.

the remarkable thing is I dont think theres been three seasons like that ever before, let alone 4

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pundits piling on the adelaide train.

the only thing I know is this season is like the last three, theres a big field that could come on in the finals.

the remarkable thing is I dont think theres been three seasons like that ever before, let alone 4
If Geelong and Collingwood are not playing on GF day they would have to have choked massively

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I really miss is the big forward versus the big backman in the last quarter. Mid-fielders simply getting the ball out of the middle to the forward line and letting the greats go to work - Carey, Brereton, Lockett, Quinlan etc.

Now - midfielders chipping the ball around from start to finish generally bores the crap out of me. Commentators marvel when a big forward takes a contested mark, whereas it was commonplace in bygone eras.

I still love the Hawks, but I don’t really like the structure of the modern game compared to the era I grew up watching. It can still be exciting and compelling as a contest, but it lacks beauty.
Couldn't agree more, too many chip kicks and too many handballs with effectively the ball going in a circle.

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More exciting? Yep. Better paced and the game flowed much better? Yes. Faster? yes and no. I'll explain.

Today's footballers cover the ground much faster than players of yesteryear and can actually move the ball faster & more accurately by hand or foot. So why does every game seem insanely slow with so many turnovers? Pressure. The pressure of earlier eras was a sad joke. The worst team in today's league would easily out-pressure the champion teams of the 80s and 90s. Players are fitter, stronger, taller, trained to tackle better, and have a more concerted pressure-first mindset. At 195cm Patrick Cripps would've been a CHF or ruckman in the 80s, think about that. Even at 185cm James Worpel would've been a forward.

The game is slower because the windows in which players can execute their skills with minimal pressure are now measured in fractions of a second. The days of Robert Diperdominico or Crag Bradley loping down a wing with 4 or 5 seconds & 2-3 bounces to decide which forward they'll plant the ball in the lap of are over. Most possessions are now subject to extreme pressure and players actually cope with pressure comparatively well given the ridiculous magnitude and sheer amount of it there is, it literally never lets up from from the first bounce till the final siren which must also have a strong psychological effect.

So yeah, you're absolutely correct except that in those brief windows if you observe you'll notice the ball can potentially move from one end of the ground to the other faster than ever before. Unfortunately play is stifled the rest of the time with much longer periods where nothing of importance happens.
Agree, your comment players are bigger, fitter and stronger only exemplifies the fact that rotations should only be for followers (the old ruck, ruck rover
and rover) to promote more positional play and unclog the mess at stoppages. Forwards shouldn't be in their D50 and vice versa. Pressure is largely
caused by the ability through more player resting periods (rotations, more ball ups, more throw ins) than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back