Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talk about gun control the moment after a mass shooting.

I don’t know why we can’t have a frank and open conversation about mental health if someone has just succumbed to it.

Suicide is taking too many lives and we need to be able to confront it better.
The point is we don’t know that right now.

As for Toby Greene, i take it eye gouging is now a fineable offence, along with dropping the forearm onto a defenceless bloke.
Well done Gilligan, I don’t think i could have less respect for this corrupt competition than I do now.
As for Toby Greene, i take it eye gouging is now a fineable offence, along with dropping the forearm onto a defenceless bloke.
Well done Gilligan, I don’t think i could have less respect for this corrupt competition than I do now.

The AFL now has FIFA and the IOC completely covered. It's pretty ordinary...

The point is we don’t know that right now.

Jeff possibly does. If he doesn’t then he probably shouldn’t jump to conclusions - however I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Who said he eye gouged except for Mark Stevens? Dogs medical and Bont said he didn’t, footage didn’t show him doing it. Was a s**t look but the hysteria over something that didn’t happen has been nuts.

Who said he eye gouged except for Mark Stevens? Dogs medical and Bont said he didn’t, footage didn’t show him doing it. Was a s**t look but the hysteria over something that didn’t happen has been nuts.
In my experience, when one’s fingers are wandering over a blokes face, it’s generally eye gouging, or to put it in AFL parlance, “one’s fingers carelessly intruded into the players eye area, possibly the socket region”.
Plus Greene is a campaigner.

Not sure I followed Caro just then - wasn't he an assistant at Hawks?

She said something like he couldn't bring himself to go to the Hawks and went to the Saints?

Maybe i misheard

In my experience, when one’s fingers are wandering over a blokes face, it’s generally eye gouging, or to put it in AFL parlance, “one’s fingers carelessly intruded into the players eye area, possibly the socket region”.
Plus Greene is a campaigner.
If he had, Bont wouldn’t have got up like his hair had been ruffled and got on with the game. Not one player from the dogs remonstrated with him either. If a player eye gouges it’s usually world war 3.

Plus the dogs and bont said in the medical it didn’t happen.

If he had, Bont wouldn’t have got up like his hair had been ruffled and got on with the game. Not one player from the dogs remonstrated with him either. If a player eye gouges it’s usually world war 3.

Plus the dogs and bont said in the medical it didn’t happen.
Players code mate.
Greene was sneaky too in that he disguised it quite cleverly.

And he possibly doesn’t.
If he does know, that info is not in the public domain and he has no right to release or speculate on it.
There’s no possibly about it (it’s fairly obvious what has occurred) and thats what makes Jeff’s post really poor. It’s one of those Akermanis foot in mouth moments. This death is a very sad event and people should be left to breath and grieve. That being said I suspect Jeff’s comments come from the right place it’s just that the message comes across as egotistical and insensitive. Vale Spud - very very sad (reminds me of Pagliaci - laughing on the outside but crying on the inside - poor fella).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no possibly about it (it’s fairly obvious what has occurred) and thats what makes Jeff’s post really poor. It’s one of those Akermanis foot in mouth moments. This death is a very sad event and people should be left to breath and grieve. That being said I suspect Jeff’s comments come from the right place it’s just that the message comes across as egotistical and insensitive. Vale Spud - very very sad (reminds me of Pagliaci - laughing on the outside but crying on the inside - poor fella).
Again it’s speculation at this point. We may suspect but we don’t know right now.
Kennett’s comment was massively tone deaf. Not the right time, now is for mourning the man and getting around his family.

I am at work and heard the news via radio

What I was surprised at was after announcing Danny’s death, they said that anyone suffering from depression should seek help via lifeline, or talk to your GP
I’ve heard and read the same thing. There is reticence in the media to call it for what it is because it encourages others. I support this approach.

I am at work and heard the news via radio

What I was surprised at was after announcing Danny’s death, they said that anyone suffering from depression should seek help via lifeline, or talk to your GP

Those messages generally appear on any report in Australian media where mental health issues are discussed and/or a suicide has occurred.

Interesting article that is only a few days old on this very topic. We need to end the stigma around suicide and find better ways to discuss it. The reaction to Jeff’s comments reflect that.

If someone dies of cancer nobody yells at you if you say ‘* cancer’. If it’s suicide apparently we are meant to just sweep it under the rug and not talk about it.

As a society we need to start approaching this differently if we are to combat the current rate of suicide in this country.

I have two friends who have openly stated feelings of pointlessness of life - both of whom have differing degrees of mental illness. I’d rather them live in a society where we aren’t afraid to discuss this stuff.

I don’t dismiss the concern for people’s family and privacy - however the death and other circumstances are already public and social media will rattle on no matter what. As the story talks about - this silence mantra can isolate those who are grieving also.

I know Jeff can be a bit foot in mouth - but having had his own battles and working with beyond blue, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he knows what he’s doing on this one.

Edit: For more context as to where this is coming from - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...itor-and-vulnerable-soul-20190909-p52pms.html

Last edited:
The news bulletin never mentioned he suffered depression though
That’s what made it stand out as strange

Plenty of others have, and his battles have been well publicised - and the suicide scuttlebut has been out before his name was even officially noted in the mainstream media. It was probably just covering bases.

Not sure I followed Caro just then - wasn't he an assistant at Hawks?

She said something like he couldn't bring himself to go to the Hawks and went to the Saints?

Maybe i misheard
He was a part time coach. One season he committed to full time, and about a week later he joined St Kilda. Apparently Clarko was upset about that.

The other uncomfortable issue was during the Essendon drugs saga when Spud spent time with Hirdy to help him through the period, Clarko/Lyon/Horse were upset with him in his role with the AFLCA.

When I saw the news it was the first thing that came to my mind. Didn’t make sense. Single car accident in the day with someone who would know the road like the back of his hand.

It’s speculation but with Danny Frawley’s history of mental health I couldn’t help but think that way.

I agree with Ned Ryerson in that as a society we need to talk about it more. Not just when it rears it’s ugly head then swept aside.

A sudden death is difficult enough to deal with so I can’t imagine how much harder it would be with all this gossip about whether it was an accident or suicide.

We don’t have the right to know and I don’t see why it seems so important for people to try and understand the why’s of what’s happened - all we need to do is acknowledge that a special person has passed away - that’s all we have to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back