Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the outside Davis and Ward looked like one of the few co-captaincy gigs that actually worked quite well. Handing it over to a bloke who was within a bee's dick from leaving at the end of the season surely doesn't sit right with the playing group
That was all part of the Gil deal.

I've been really interested to see the updated age demographics for all AFL teams. After moving on some vets I think we are in a good place with already some eventual replacements for Smith, McEvoy, Frawley, Puopolo, Henderson, Stratton.

HFC.png

You'd think Day will eventually replace Smith or Henderson on a wing or even Stratton in the backline. Maginness will eventually be an on baller but he could also replace Smith or Henderson on a wing too. McEvoy, Frawley and Puopolo seem to be the glaring holes we'll eventually need to fill. With Cegs resigning he'll be an ample McEvoy replacement but we will need to acquire another ruckman to back him up. *Frawley's position as a key defender could prove a little harder to fill IMO and yes we have guys like Frost that will eventually slide into his role we'll probably need a more effective FB. For Poppy's pressure forward role I think this is why we we're trying to trade back into the 1st round. I think we wanted to snag a small forward but we'll never know.

EDIT: Longterm you'd think that Koschitzke is being groomed to fill Frawley's position.

Last edited:

I've been really interested to see the updated age demographics for all AFL teams. After moving on some vets I think we are in a good place with already some eventual replacements for Smith, McEvoy, Frawley, Puopolo, Henderson, Stratton.

View attachment 788832

You'd think Day will eventually replace Smith or Henderson on a wing or even Stratton in the backline. Maginness will eventually be an on baller but he could also replace Smith or Henderson on a wing too. McEvoy, Frawley and Puopolo seem to be the glaring holes we'll eventually need to fill. With Cegs resigning he'll be an ample McEvoy replacement but we will need to acquire another ruckman to back him up. Frawley's position as a key defender could prove a little harder to fill IMO and yes we have guys like Frost that will eventually slide into his role we'll probably need a more effective FB. For Poppy's pressure forward role I think this is why we we're trying to trade back into the 1st round. I think we wanted to snag a small forward but we'll never know.

Great analysis, and I'll add a little. What's interesting about this is when you do average age of our best 22 (rather than whole list) it's around 27.29 years. Furthermore, 18 of our top-20 oldest players are in our best 22 (excluding O'Brien and Hartley - sorry fellas).

Whilst that best 22 includes Lewis 21, Worpel 20, Scrimhaw 21. I think we really need to start seeing pressure on a couple of key positions to ensure we have a smooth transition from experience to youth. I agree with some of your names Poppy 32, Stratton 30. I think Frawley probably has 2-3 years left as does McEvoy. I think the bigger issue is we need pressure on Henderson 31/Smith 30 ASAP, as well as Burgers 37 (good luck filling his shoes).

Great analysis, and I'll add a little. What's interesting about this is when you do average age of our best 22 (rather than whole list) it's around 27.29 years. Furthermore, 18 of our top-20 oldest players are in our best 22 (excluding O'Brien and Hartley - sorry fellas).

Whilst that best 22 includes Lewis 21, Worpel 20, Scrimhaw 21. I think we really need to start seeing pressure on a couple of key positions to ensure we have a smooth transition from experience to youth. I agree with some of your names Poppy 32, Stratton 30. I think Frawley probably has 2-3 years left as does McEvoy. I think the bigger issue is we need pressure on Henderson 31/Smith 30 ASAP, as well as Burgers 37 (good luck filling his shoes).

Yeah I did an edit to my post. I forgot that Koschitzke is likely being groomed as Frawley's longterm replacement so if he comes along nicely that could very well be one less hole to fill. Once Burgoyne, Frawley, Poppy, Stratton and Henderson retire I see us eventually looking like this:

B – Hardwick Koschitzke Scrimhaw
HB – Sicily Frost Impey
C – *Smith Mitchell Scully
HF – Gunston Lewis Impey
F – Breust Patton Wingard
FOLL – Worpel Ceglar O'Meara

INT – Maginness O'Brien Sheils Day

EMG – Hanrahan Morrison Nash Jiath

*I didn't include Smith because I feel he'll end up playing close to 35

This leaves players like Ross, Walker, Moore on the outside looking in and that's not even factoring in the likely addition of Connor Downie.

On the age thing, we dont need t try to take the average age right down, just maintain it in the premiership xone

this is done by some recruits being 24-26, usually with a view to being best 22 ready, and some recruits coming via the draft and a couple of years development

Yeah I did an edit to my post. I forgot that Koschitzke is likely being groomed as Frawley's longterm replacement so if he comes along nicely that could very well be one less hole to fill. Once Burgoyne, Frawley, Poppy, Stratton and Henderson retire I see us eventually looking like this:

HB – Sicily Frost Impey
HF – Gunston Lewis Impey

INT – Maginness O'Brien Sheils Day

EMG – Hanrahan Morrison Nash Jiath

*I didn't include Smith because I feel he'll end up playing close to 35

This leaves players like Ross, Walker, Moore on the outside looking in and that's not even factoring in the likely addition of Connor Downie.
I know Impey is quick, but you’re asking a lot of him playing half back and half forward simultaneously :D

I know Impey is quick, but you’re asking a lot of him playing half back and half forward simultaneously :D

Ahhh crap. I knew I'd do something like. How's this:

HB – Sicily Frost Day
HF – Gunston Lewis Impey

INT – Maginness O'Brien Sheils Hanrahan

EMG – Morrison Nash Jiath

Not that I care what goes on at Carlton but with SOS likely leaving I wonder if there's a chance that Jack Russell makes his way back to the Hawks. Boyd seems to be doing pretty well in the role but geez how good would it be getting him back.

the industry would have known about these issues. Its a joke they could have poached an existing successful coach no matter what they were offering. Suck a big one Juddy

remember clarko has continued his friendship with bolton

IMO TOB is a best 22 forward as it stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough one... he's competing with Patton, Lewis and Gunston... (assuming Breust/Poppy/Burgoyne/resting-mid throughout as well).

I reckon the round 1 list announcement will be really interesting. For the first time in a few years we’ll be wondering who is getting squeezed out rather than who is managing to squeak in. It’s nice to have a list that is slightly bulging.

How long do we reckon young Jack will last after SOS finishes up?

Unaware of his contract sitch, but recommended to "explore options" post season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back