Oppo Camp General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a moment in the 1984 second semi where Rodney Eade runs past Merv Neagle - well off the ball. (As I recall you see this vision on the TV footage as the ruckmen contest a boundary throw-in in the background). As the unsuspecting Eade runs past him, Neagle gives him an almighty jab in the balls and Eade goes to ground.

That sort of stuff went on all day. Sheedy was so pissed off that Essendon was given such an almighty crumpering in the 83 grand final (then a record winning margin), that he was going to resort to any tactics to get an advantage. The scum were at it all day.

You may recall that year (or was it the following year) that Kelvin Moore received a pierced testicle thanks to that scumbag Merrett - Don Scott was so incensed that he made the incident public (breaking the "what happens on the field stays on the field" rule).

As we know Malcolm Blight tried the same thing in 1989 - when he realized that the only way to beat Hawthorn was to disable the players - and he almost succeeded.

I accept that every side - absolutely including Hawthorn - has their enforcers and tough guys, but what Essendon did in 1984, as Geelong did in 1989, was on an industrial scale - if you can't beat them, maim them - and cowardly.

Last edited:
There's a moment in the 1984 second semi where Rodney Eade runs past Merv Neagle - well off the ball. (As I recall you see this vision on the TV footage as the ruckmen contest a boundary throw-in in the background). As the unsuspecting Eade runs past him, Neagle gives him an almighty jab in the balls and Eade goes to ground.

That sort of stuff went on all day. Sheedy was so pissed off that Essendon was given such an almighty crumpering in the 83 grand final (then a record winning margin), that he was going to resort to any tactics to get an advantage. The scum were at it all day.

You may recall that year (or was it the following year) that Kelvin Moore received a pierced testicle thanks to that scumbag Merrett - Don Scott was so incensed that he made the incident public (breaking the "what happens on the field stays on the field" rule).

As we know Malcolm Blight tried the same thing in 1989 - when he realized that the only way to beat Hawthorn was to disable the players - and he almost succeeded.

I accept that every side - absolutely including Hawthorn - has their enforcers and tough guys, but what Essendon did in 1984, as Geelong did in 1989, was on an industrial scale - if you can't beat them, maim them - and cowardly.

lower abdomen region
IMO, what made the '89 GF so special was the show of bravery and sacrifice by only one team. The other....always the bridesmaid.

Last edited:
IMO, what made the '89 so special is the show of bravery and sacrifice by only one team. The other....always the bridesmaid.
I still get annoyed the way Bews and Hocking treated Dipper that day. Those chocking headlocks were downright disgusting. And Abletts cowardly bump from behind breaking Dippers ribs. Yet Dipper had the last laugh by shifting Hockings nose to his cheek with that brutal elbow (thoroughly deserved) and another premiership.....albeit from a hospital bed. And how many suspensions were dished out? Two Dipper and Cameron, yet there should have been many more.

Last edited:

Correction - Neagle jabbed Ken Judge not Rocket Rod.

IMO, what made the '89 GF so special was the show of bravery and sacrifice by only one team. The other....always the bridesmaid.

always annoying when they just replay q4. With Geelong so brave come back

always annoying when they just replay q4. With Geelong so brave come back

Yes, that’s exactly right. The first quarter was simply a good old fashioned thrashing - 8.4.52 to 2.0.12.
12 scoring shots to 2.

What then brought us undone was simply the steady loss in personnel.
Platten punch drunk and gone by quarter time, Ayres gone, Brereton broken ribs for the entire game, Pritchard gone, Dipper punctured lung before half time and 10 days in hospital. We finished with 13 fit men - but still won.

Dipper‘s was the bravest feat I’ve ever seen in AFL football. He knew he was seriously in trouble at half time. He was in severe pain and had a squeaky high pitched voice that indicated he has a punctured lung - he hid in the toilet so the coaches couldn’t see he was in trouble (not that they would have kept him off the ground in the 2nd half because we had no reserves on the bench).

Later, with seconds to go in the game, 6 points up, he jumps on the ball to create a stoppage. He can’t then stand up without rolling onto his good side and struggling to his feet. Then the siren goes and, as his teammates are celebrating, you seen him doubled over, assisted by the trainers straight off the ground into an ambulance and taken to hospital. He was in hospital for over a week and was in a critical condition for 2 or 3 days.

if you haven’t seen Dipper tell this story at a sportsman’s night you’ve missed a real treat.
He doesn’t take himself too seriously and he’s hilarious. Talking about his hospitalisation - “... and on the 7th day I arose”.

Last edited:
Dipper‘s was the bravest feat I’ve ever seen in AFL football. He knew he was seriously in trouble at half time. He wa in severe pain had a squeaky high pitched voice that indicated he has a punctured lung - he hid in the toilet so the coaches couldn’t see he was in trouble (not that they would have kept him off the ground in the 2nd half because we had no reserves on the bench).
Derm was pissing blood at half time with a split kidney. He was just as brave. I can't sepate them on courage.

Derm was pissing blood at half time with a split kidney. He was just as brave. I can't sepate them on courage.
Dipper pretty much collapsed at the end of the game he hung on till the end. He had blown up to to twice his size. It was an ablett hit and to this day is by far the bravest thing i have ever seen. While his team mates enjoyed the win dipper climbed an ambulance and spent the next few days in hospital

Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell will be rested in his comeback from a broken leg, while ruckman Ben McEvoy is also sidelined with a corked leg.
Both are in no doubt for the Round 1 clash against Brisbane Lions.

Hawthorn football manager Graham Wright said Mitchell’s leg had pulled up better than his feet following his return in the first practice match against St Kilda at Moorabbin last week.

“I think he (Mitchell) had some blisters on his feet, they were a bigger issue for him than his leg,” Wright said.

“He could’ve played longer but we thought two and a half to three quarters was as much as we wanted him to play.”

It's impossible to quote all the goodness from this article. The whole thing is a smorgasbord of schadenfreude-alicious delight. I'll put out this one little teaser:

ESSENDON is approaching round one with at least 15 players having experienced surgeries since their last competitive game.

And there may yet be another just 23 days out from the season opener against Fremantle...

Heading into last year, Melbourne had 13 off-season operations to key players and plummeted down the ladder after struggling to play catch-up from a 1-5 start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still vividly remember their dismal showing against StKilda in one of the early rounds last season. High possibility of a re-enactment come round 1

I still get annoyed the way Bews and Hocking treated Dipper that day. Those chocking headlocks were downright disgusting. And Abletts cowardly bump from behind breaking Dippers ribs. Yet Dipper had the last laugh by shifting Hockings nose to his cheek with that brutal elbow (thoroughly deserved) and another premiership.....albeit from a hospital bed. And how many suspensions were dished out? Two Dipper and Cameron, yet there should have been many more.
You forgot Bruns, the guy who carried on like a pork chop in the Leigh Matthews incident aftermath yet was more than happy to slip quite a few cheapies into Dipper when he was on the ground. The guy is a walking hypocrite. If your a fair player than you are entitled to squeal but he wasn't.

Rule #1 in football karma - never gloat over other teams injuries

To be fair, we aren't gloating over the injuries. No one wants to see players get injured. It is their livelihood, after all. But, for me at least, we are gloating over the persistent bad luck that Essendon has endured. Bad karma, so often self-induced shots to the foot, that has currently added up to the magic number of #5654.

It's impossible to quote all the goodness from this article. The whole thing is a smorgasbord of schadenfreude-alicious delight. I'll put out this one little teaser:

At least they'll have their champion #1 pick McCrabby to save their souls 🤣

McCrabby Violin.gif

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back